ants and snails--yuck!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Betty, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Betty

Betty Junior Member

Hey, y'all, I've heard there are some real nasty ants over there in Austrailia and the friend I'm staying with at the moment has a problem with what are locally called (you should parden the anglo saxxon) Piss ants. These are little black buggers that creep into just about anything, anywhere. I've convenced her that deniying them food by keeping the area where they've turned up free of crumbs and dirty dishes(they've congregated around the sink and stove...Hey, we're both old batchiler gals, we hate to clean as much as any guy!)will lower the numbers. This has worked but there are still some wandering around hunting for goodies. Unfortuneately she has indoor/outdoor carpeting in her kitchen and I fear some crumbs have gotten wedged in that the vacuum just can't get out. Is there a permaculture/green/non-chemical cure for this that Y'all know of?
    Secondarily, but still on ants, we have this little imported critter called a Fire Ant (came in from South America on a Bannana Boat according to legend :wink: )and this sucker is mean. They can kill calves, foals and other small animals and also do a number on people. They arn't a problem for me now but once I start realy working on my home forty they will be. I don't mind the piss ants, they can be helpful in the compost but NOT the fire ants.
    Now for the snails. My friend also has a snail problem in her garage where she has her dog grooming buisness. It has a concrete floor. Now some of those snails have also turned up in her kitchen. (I know I stepped on one in the dark one night when I was getting a drink of water :shock: !) Yeah, I know, just salt them or pour salt around where you don't want them. Unforetuneatly the salt keeps washing away. (Oh yeah, her house is built on a concrete slab that was built without any reinforcement rods of any kind and its now cracked and messed up and her house has shifted so that might be helping these critters get in.)
    Any suggestions for either of these problems would be apprecieated. ( except getting a new house! :wink: we know that already!!)

2. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Re: ants and snails--yuck!

we have varying numbers of ants in our house. We find they are not particularly dirty or anoying so don't care too much. Usually there is at least a couple of scouts zooming around. They only get out of control if we leave the kitchen untidy.Cleanliness is the key. Keep floors and benches spotless and keep food covered. Give us ants over cockroaches any day.

3. Betty

Betty Junior Member

I agree that the scouts and such are no problem but I can't talk my friend into being so laid back about it. Like it or no she's planing on going chemical! :( Oh well, it is her house not mine. And I will be moving into mine soon :D ! The only problem I will have there will be out around the barns and in any gardens. Regular old ants are no problem it's them drated Fire Ants!! :x They swarm out at the least provocation and really can kill small or very young animals. They can kill people to if they have alergies. Besides thier bites are the reason they are called FIRE ants. Hurts like the dickens and you usually get a lot at a time. Their mounds can also get kind of tall and hard and have been known to break big farm machinery. Honest folks, no tall Texas tales on this. These are real critters that I'd like to convence to go else where! Any ideas you might have that could help me out on this would be appreciated. Most of the suggestions from my freinds and neighbors have envolved chemicals or poisons of one sort or another. Thanks.

4. ppp

ppp Junior Member

the department of natural resources here in queensland is managing to mostly keep them under control.
    My understanding is, that killing them is very difficult. My wife who is an ecologist tells me they are using some sort of hormone which doesn't kill the ants, but sterilises the queen.

PPP

5. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

Those fire ants will give you a memorable experience, while surveying in Texas they made me run out of the woods and strip off my clothes in the middle of a busy Dallas street, they are NASTY, boric acid will work for them too, but outdoors it needs to be weatherproofed alittle as boric acid is water soluble.

Indoors, I've also used boric acid (15% by volume) in peanut butter placed in bottle lids where ants have trails. Boric acid works in similar fashion, killing slowly after distribution among colony members. It will take about 2 weeks to completely control them, but is very effective. Treating the inside alone will never work since ants killed there are quickly replaced by a large population outdoors.
    https://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~gilbert/resea ... l#chemical

weather resistant snail bait.
    The borate-containing composition is preferably boric acid or borax.
    https://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA= ... SPLAY=DESC

6. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

My grandmother used to put a chickens innerds in a bucket at the back of the shed... she was convinced it drove the fly's and ants out of the house and to that bucket...

... they didn't have much of a chance when she came out with a pot of boiling water later in the afternoon... :)

7. Susan

Susan Junior Member

In Queensland the Authorities have been using 2 different pesticides to erradicate the Fire Ant problem. Both are what is known as Insect Growth Regulators and the prevent the young ants from maturing. In a similar way to some of the more modern products that are used for fleas, instead of the older style nerve poisons.
    For snails and slugs I for one use an iron chelate substance made out here by Multigard. It has the organic seal of approval and is made with the same iron in Nutrigran breakfast cereal apparently; only much, much stronger. Breaks down to iron in the soil that plants can use, is non toxic to other animals and has no secondary poisoning effects of other animals eating the dead/dying mollucs.
    S

8. Betty

Betty Junior Member

Hey Y'all! Thanks for all the ideas for getting rid of those pesky critters. Oh, and Ojo, I do sympathize about your fire ant attack! I'm a member of the local Vol. fire Dept. and saw one of the guys scramble out from under a house where we were hunting down a possible smoldering fire. Never saw a guy shuck his bunker gear so fast!
    Thanks again!

9. MikeB

MikeB Junior Member

I used to have a problem with green ants but after removing the mango trees they became less of a problem. (Old mango farm, trees infested with fungal growths, white ants and falling over). They would get inside and the little bastards hurt when they bite in sensitive areas. Besides they give you a nice vitimin C hit if you eat their backsides. Sharp tangy lime taste. The only other ant problems is about a week before a major rain storm or cyclone when the house gets invaded but they head straight for the ceiling.

Too hot for snails and slugs here in north queensland but in Perth we used to use beer in a shallow container. It attracts them from all over, they fall in get drunk and drown. Biodegradable solution. Blue Tongue goannas also do a marvelous job of cleaning them up as well.

10. rooster-dave

rooster-dave Guest

Boric (or Boracic) Acid works wonders on most varieties of ants, but is no longer available in many areas. As a consequence, I was forced to purchase a large quantity - so I now have plenty for sale. (Last summer, Sunraysia was absolutely infested with ants due to the drought). A little bit goes a long way, so I have it for sale in small quantities - Get in touch with me at [email protected]