Anti-fungal paint additive?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Peter Clements, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Peter Clements

Peter Clements Junior Member

I'm about to paint my bathroom and are looking for an anti-fungal additive for the paint that is non-toxic. The paint shop can only recommend me the conventional toxic pesticide. I was thinking of something like orange peel oil extract?

2. christopher

christopher Junior Member

I know little about this, but would copper sulfate or burnt lime work? These are used as anti fungals in soil and on fruit....

Maybe it might work, tho I could be out to lunch...

3. Peter Clements

I know that copper sulphate is good for worming goats -it may work as a mould inhibitor for paint too!

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Here is some info that I just Googled:

"There is a specially formulated high viscosity encapsulant paint called Fosters 40-20 that is highly effective in killing the existing mold and is highly resistant to mold regrowth or grow-through. Fosters 40-20 is available through Bullseye Environmental (800-692-8557). Fosters 40-20 is a low toxicity product. However, it emits a typical paint odor until cured which normally requires approximately 48-72 hours. Therefore, areas being encapsulated should be well ventilated. Persons with known sensitivities to paint odors/vapors should not re-occupy the area until odors are no longer discernible." (This is in the U.S.)

Natural biocide concentrate at https://www.the7thfire.com/EarthWright/L ... lution.htm

The Green Shop (England) at https://www.greenshop.co.uk/acatalog/ind ... atalogBody

Maybe there is something you can use.

Sue

5. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Interesting Sue!

Peter,

Copper sulfate is also a controlled (permitted after applying for a derogation) input for funus control in organic agriculture... It is used especially with grapes....

Might work for paint.... maybe? But Sues product sounds like it works, no maybes!

C

6. Peter Clements

Thanks heap for those links Sue- it looks like I will order the natural biocide concentrate over the web- it adds straight into the paint :)

7. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I am not shure if you need a special paint, at least we didn't do this until now. If your bathroom is mouldy it is a fault of not opening the window WIDE after showering opening the shower curtain etc. An anti- mould in your paint normally does vapour out with the time.

8. Rob6014

Rob6014 Junior Member

We had a cold little bathroom in an old house that constantly got mould on the walls and ceiling. We put in a heat/fan thingy and increased ventilation, but we still got mould. We then bought a non-toxic mould killer/inhibitor (which cost a fortune) and painted the room with it. It was designed to go under the paint, but the paint that then went over the top didn't go on very well, and the stuff worked for about a week, then I swear it was feeding the b*@@#y mould. We had to scrape/sand/clean the walls and ceiling off and start again. We painted it, and after that if mould showed up anywhere we used bleach to get rid of it. Bleach is cheap, easy to apply and sure makes your berry-picking, garden-stained fingernails nice and white. It needs a wipe maybe twice a year.