Another Rooster Question!

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Lolly, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Hi all.. :)

We have four lovely little chicks that are almost six weeks old. My partner (of the mad chook thread infamy :? ) has decided that he will lop the heads off any of the wee roosters. How long do they have to live before they condemn themselves to their eventual demise??

In other words, at what point will a young rooster begin to crow??

Cheers

2. HoneydaleFarm

HoneydaleFarm Junior Member

Our 2 started at 3 months old...sounds a bit like craoking (Laughing)...by 4 months they were in the freezer!

3. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Yeah, I've heard 12 - 16 weeks is a really good age to get a nice 'chook'. Some breeds are still really nice until about 6 months, but of course you need to be able to house them in the meantime.

You might even be able to 'sex' them a little earlier if you're really observant. Check out The Chook Shed https://members.iinet.net.au/~greggles1/sexing.html for some tips.

One thing you'll probably notice is that if they're free ranging on a varied diet, their meat will be a lot darker, instead of the 'white' you see in the commercial poultry.

I welcome others' observation in relation to this 'theory'.

Tam

4. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Tam, your observations could be valid, but, being vegetarian, wouldn't know. I suspect that there would have to be a discernible difference of some kind in the meat, as there is in the eggs....

I can say with some authority that free range eggs are a darker yellow, and the yellow part is much firmer, standing UP, looking taller, stronger, and, well, tastier.

We started out raising chooks on industrial layer ration, selling the eggs, but we got tired of hauling in material for them to eat, and Dawn and I decided to try raising them offo of stuff we produce, as well as letting them foraage.

The free range eggs are better tasting, too.

You having a good day today?

C

5. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Thank you all.. :)

Now I'm off to recreate nature - anyone know how to explain to a rooster that if he crows he's dead.. ?? :lol:

6. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Tam :)

Great link, thank you! Ray and I have been watching the chicks closely over the last few weeks and noting their behaviour - I see that on that link you supplied they suggested doing the same. I am encouraged! We're on the right track.. :)

7. christopher

Lolly,

Your avatar makes me pause, before I answer... and I forgot to answer your question in my last post, so:

Eventually they will make noise, no two ways about it, so, what you hope for is maximum growth before that time.... and about that time they will start to fight one another. This is an excellent time to eat them, if you like eating them. Otherwise they are going to kill one another.

Roosters do not understand anything. In addition to being as stupid as a chook, about the stupidest of all domesticatd animals (in my book) they are also stupid chooks addled in their own testosterone, a terrible combination, resulting in a cowardly, strutting, self important bird, with a brain the size of a split pea, who likes to hop on the chooks, bite their heads, and hop back off in a fraction of a second, the mystery of chook mating done so quickly, its still a mystery. Doesn't look romantic at all. So, sadly you can't teach them anything...

C

8. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

:lol: Christopher

My avatar makes you pause?! I wonder why?

I laugh at your description of a typical rooster.. :lol: :lol:

I have 3 daughters so Ray(Gargun) is considerably outnumbered in this household which at times leads him to liken himself to the rooster. After pointing out to him the mating ritual of an average rooster he quickly backtracked :wink:

I am happy, in the name of peace within the henhouse, to cook up any unruly roosters quick smart! :axe:

Linda

9. christopher

Lolly,

The avatar has a distinctly predatory look, a dark square with glowing yellow eyes... tha's why...

Roosters really suck...

C

10. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

:shock: What on earth could be predatory about a Lolly??!

:( ... wanders off in search of a new lolly-like avatar...

:cry:

11. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

:p Christopher... that better??? :D

12. christopher

Lolly/Linda,

Uh, no, actually. The predator thing had lots of character, and, uh, well, this one is a bit, hmmmm, well, I guess, cute? Yes, cute. Cute. But lacking in character. Definitely non threatening (I go for the dangerous type. Theres this other lady here, she flies around on a pig, with a big axe? Man, have I got a case of the hots for her.... ummmm, well, yes. Anyway... )

Yes, um, so roosters, um, that make noise, uh, should be, um, wonton soup....

But I like you no matter what your avatar is!

C

13. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

You rang???
    PwCw :love10: :love3: :love2: :love1: :love9: :love5: :love6: :love9: :love3: :love2: :king: :prayer: :king: thought you were at a conference?? (Is that how you spell that?? Hmm, don't think so :? ) Are you sitting on your hotelroom bed with your laptop and a scotch?? :shock: :goodman:

14. christopher

Tullymoor, oh great queen!
    :love7: :love5: :love4: :love4: :love7: :love7: :love7: :love7: :love7: :love7: :love7:

No, I leave in about 20 minutes. Conference (spelled correctly) tomorrow. Just cheking emails and things before I leave.

I will be back Saturday, unless they have a wireless thing at the hotel, (yeah, sure), but quite unlikely, since this is Belize.

Very nice to hear from you before I run out in to the big world.

See you Saturday,

Pw Cw (NoN)

15. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Have a nice time, :clock: drive carefully, :iroc: behave yourself :angel5: and see you when you get back.
    :love3: :love10: :love2: :love6: :love3: :sex: :love10: :love7: :love6: :love5:

16. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Ohhh Tully - you snuck the naughty emoticon in there :oops: :shock: :lol:

17. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Tully & Christopher! Oh to have a love like yours!! Um, actually... lucky me, I do!! :D

Anyway, my powerpuff persona sucks more than noisy roosters, Ima goin back to my real self.. cos I may be many things, but cute ain't one of em! :roll:

18. gargun

gargun Junior Member

Don't believe a word lolly says....she is absolutely gorgeous!!!!
    (I should know...we're getting married)

:D

Ray

19. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Oh Gargun, you're such a romantic. I wish there were more blokes around like you.

20. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Pfffft! :roll: