another chook related Q

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by vic, Jul 31, 2003.

1. vic

vic New Member

...I live on the end of National park, definately inhabited by feral foxes...Iwould like to build a mobile chook pen (actually I'd liketo pay someone else to do it for me!) and wondered if its possible to have it absolutely fox proof? Keeping in mind the lovely diggable sand it will be on... anyone with any experience with this? thanks

2. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Me again,

I built a mobile chook pen for my chicks.... i used small guage wire (i think 10x10mm) as i wanted to keep out birds(we get butcher birds, magpies and hawks here) as well as the cats that surround us! and especially pythons, which we have around here also.

What you might find helpful is to attach wire that comes out at least a foot on all sides and just cover it with sand, the foxes should give up, but the thing you can achieve is enough time to hear your chooks go off. A muscovie duck or a goose are good alarm raising animals to have also!

On you other question i answered for you about wandering jew. A native plant that should do well in the by the seaside is pigweed. I got given a couple of plants of it and dont like it very much.... my chooks disagreed and got stuck into it. Easy to strike from cuttings as well..... just thought i would throw that one in for you :)

Cheers
    Dave

3. midwife

midwife Guest

i also wish to build a chook pen that deters hawks, rats and venomous snakes that inhabit the Kimberly's. i love the chook tractor idea, but my husband believes he will have to arm himself with a shovel or gun before he lets me collect the eggs, so as such we have no chooks yet. are there any websites that have some design ideas?
    thanks (lover of fresh eggs)

4. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

i did a search some time ago for mobile chook pen designs and couldnt find any..... so i built one myself

i can move it myself but is easier with 2 ppl.... the dimensions are 1.6m long x 1.2 high and wide.... the nesting box is elevated off the ground so as to give shade and shelter from rain underneath.... i have used sliding panels on the side entrances to the nesting box so i can easily clean the nesting area....i also throw have thrown over a bird net... just to make it that more difficult for cats and birds to hang around the cage

i know this doesnt help visual it much.... if u like i have a digital camera and can send you a few pics if you like?!

dont worry about the shovel or gun to collect the eggs... you'll hear the chooks going off if they are being harrassed

cheers.... Dave

5. midwife

midwife Guest

cheers for that. can imagine what that looks like. should help. i have also been told that the mosquitoes get to the chooks badly here in the East Kimberly district and they peck each other badly. is there a breed that is less likely to have this problem?

6. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

I would be going for a more tropical variety of chook.... not sure what your chook suppliers are like up there but they should be able to put you onto a good variety.

My neighbours have an Indian variety and they seem a lot more aggressive toward getting rid of insects than my New Hampshires or Rhode Island Reds.

Do a check for a poultry fanciers club up your way... they may also be a good source for the right type of chook you need.

Hope that helps ???

Dave