American Psychosis: What happens to a society that cannot distinguish between reality

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

The beauty of the democratic systems of thought control, as contrasted with their clumsy totalitarian counterparts, is that they operate by subtly establishing on a voluntary basis
    --aided by the force of nationalism and media control by substantial interests
    --presuppositions that set the limits of debate, rather than by imposing beliefs with a bludgeon.
    https://www.matrixmasters.com/wtc/chomsky/chomquotes/chomquotes.html

2. Chief Cloudpiler

Chief Cloudpiler Junior Member

Right and Wrong

In the U.S., those of us who are working in a positive way to bring about meaningful change have discovered that when we do so openly we become targets of all kinds of govt. unfriendliness. Some of us have even gone to jail over it. There is a rather vast number of folks taking up the solution (or at least a meaningful dialogue about it) than will not be noted in "studies." "We" are not interested in participating in studies. To be more accurate, I think interested is not the right word here either, we are afraid in a very real sense to participate openly because our lawmakers have made bold statements about consumerism as "American Behavior" and retreat from consumerism "Unamerican."

You are, however, entirely correct. There should be NO place in Permaculture for nationalism. There are no nations. I apologize. I have been called so many names from so many directions that I have to admit that I get a little punchy. Tired of it to tell you the truth. Thought I would not see it in the Permaculture Community, but I guess that would have to be my own psychosis.

How easy it is to fall into the same old non-productive pattern. I return to my previous tack... I have had occassion to travel to many points global and I report that I see absolutely no difference between the manifestation of Consumer Culture in any of the Developed Nations I have visited. "We" have all lapped it up, lavished in it, raped the environment and our neighbors.... "We" have made widows and orphans of us all, will you, nill you, equally, uniformly, unitedly, self-righteous in our dedication to our religion of global domination and destruction, dogmatic in our proselytism, complete in our judgment and swift in our enforcement.

Now, if there is a Permaculture "We", it cuts deep to discover that "We" can still be found sitting at our computers punching away at the same rationalization that will scuttle our progress and ensure that we fail to become effective in making change.

3. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    to bad there isn't a web site somewhere where the people of a nation could go to and debate current laws and legal structure and where the results would actually be put into action. Maybe even have one base for all jobs so that people would navigate to a job there interested in beside looking for monetary value.

4. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

I can see why they made you the Chief. I also read your description of your property. Sounds fantastic. I'm really glad you're taking the time to put your thoughts down in this forum. Cheers Cloudpiler.

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Thanks for your thoughts chief
    we are about to celebrate Australia's big Nationlaistic day
    some of us are having second thoughts about it
    https://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/43182.html
    Traditionally Australians have never been as nationalistic as Yanks.

I listened to an interview on radio recently that really chuffed me
    A guy decided to walk /bicycle with his son(17YO?) from London to Sydney.
    The interviewer asked what problems he had in his long travels ;how frequently had he been robbed and mugged, had to sleep rough etc etc
    Apart from one ce being robbed he said he met the most incredible generosity and friendliness from people who had nothing. the cost of their bikes would have been a lifetime salary for most.
    People would take him into their homes feed and shelter them asking nothing in return but an attempt at communication.

Mostly the conversation got around to "Where are you going next?( in your travels)"
    When he told his hosts "Tomorrow e hope to be in the next Valley /province etc NEARLY ALWAYS people would say" Be careful those people over there they are not like us. They will rob you, take what you have and leave you for dead be very careful!"

So next day, with great trepidation, they would bicyle to the next Valley/ Provence and be greeted by the most incredible generosity
    people would take him into their homes feed and shelter them asking nothing in return but an attempt at communication.
    When the question came up"Where are you going next?" the people would say people would say" Be careful those people over there; they are not like us! They will rob you take what you have and leave you for dead be very careful!"

So again, with fear, they would go into the next valley/ province the next day and be met with the most incredible generosity
    people would take him into their homes feed and shelter them, asking nothing in return but an attempt at communication.
    ETC ETC ETC and so on and on though thousands of miles.
    Quite touched me that story.

When will we loose our tribalism, intolerance, fear of difference, prejudice and racism do you think?
    There is only one planet; and we are all apart of it in the most intimate sense.

6. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

That's a great story Michaelangelica. It's very common for neighbouring tribes/countries etc to have histories of conflict. The most effective colonization tool was to pick one of the stronger tribes and arm them to the teeth, let them wipe out their traditional enemies and then control the nation by manipulating them, or push them aside and take over. The chiefs people weren't the only example of this, it happened everywhere and is still going on today. It shows how critical it is for like minded people to be unified, and how easily we will be defeated if we are not working together.