Alternative to roundup

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by pcp20us, Nov 17, 2006.

1. frosty

frosty Junior Member

many peope are sick from roundup but it is covered up

I am close to becoming a quadruplegic due to cholinesterase inhibition which simplified means nrves cant transmit mesages fom the brain to the muscles - all organophosphates do this - the fact roundup is an OP is also hushed up ........

I have a friend who was a teacher and was poiosned by Roundup when the shool garden was sprayed .......... she is confined to her home in a mall coastal town ......when she is exposed to any minute amount of chemical she has seizures but cant tolerate seizure meds ........ she also can only eat a very small range of organic foods an as she cant swollow properly has to blend everything into liquid to get itdown

in perth a boy died after walking to school barefoot on a road verge just sprayed with roundup

I can on & on and on but typing is too dificiult

frosty

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yes frosty,

there are many suffering what is termed "lifestyle" diseases (that does not mean a couch potato slob either), it means diseases caused by our modern lifestyle, a lifestyle full of chemical residues that as i indicated earlier have if any very poor testing done to determine their suitability in the system let alone the human system.

that is why so many people are lumped under "umbrella's of convenience of the inexplicable" by medico's, i am lumped under the CFS umbrella, there is no cure, no management and everyone of us under that umbrella suffer in different ways.

and if i can refer to the "sewer water issue" that is why i oppose that process of them making us drink that water, there again there is no transperancy whatsoever, there is no testing for any or all contaminats that are in that water, and worse still their long term effects through accumulation in sedantry dams, just think about it, we are custodians of this earth for our future children what legacies are we to leave them?

len

3. fiona

fiona Junior Member

Does anyone have references to articles (pref online) or stats re roundup? My neighbours use it right near my fenceline and I'd really like something concrete to show them - I've got small kids and pets, and I would really rather it not be used where the kids could go.

Fiona

4. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Fiona if you're prepared to do a little reading I'm sure you'll find something here: https://www.organicconsumers.org/monlink.cfm

I'd say happy reading, but..........

:)

Edit: I had to go and read it again for myself......if Monsanto isn't evil incarnate then the tooth fairy really does moonlight as Santa over the Christmas break!

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day fiona,

concrete is what you won't get (unless you are endowed with wealth and lots available for disposal), the very fact that there are no parameters guarantees that, as the scinence paid for by the vested interest, will support the vested interest.

len

6. frosty

frosty Junior Member

7. Plumtree

Plumtree Junior Member

Whoa, I didn't want to release a deluge of venom and grief! I was interested in some info about Glysophate because it sounds like it works and could be handy. We try very hard to remain as organic as possible but we have some weeds that do not seem to respond to merely 'snuffing'
    out with newspapers. I have used it in the past with considerable success but was reluctant to take it on without checking for updates and further opinions. Perhaps it is handy and useful in small doses when handled carefully but I think I will just keep digging this bluddy tussock!

8. Cornonthecob

lol Plumtree..it is a very 'touchy' subject here...however I'm sure no 'venom and grief' was/is directed towards you. Just happens to be something that people are very passionate about.

Some options might be to, as you said, continue digging it out, looking for an alternative to pour/spray it with. But if it's a really big issue then maybe you might need to resort to plan 'A' so to speak.

If there's an organic way to go then obviously that would be the better way, but you have to do what you have to do hey :)

Good luck with it all!

9. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Much better to use an organic 'kill all' product like this (Click) than to ever use roundup IMO.

The downsides of roundup have been discussed extensively on this forum as Tezza says, so a seach will provide the many downsides for anyone who missed it the first few times.

Even if you do consider it harmless - and I think it's been conclusively proven that it is harmful - it's still a question of what sort of company(s) you are supporting with your purchase.

10. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Jez,

Again good info.

A lot of the problem with roundup/glyphosate is that they are two different products. The best analogy I can give is heroin. Heroin in it's pure form is apparently ok. It is the crap they cut it with that does the damage. Add the various other chemicals to glyphosate to make the branded products and you have a product worth banning.

I believe this confusion is 'smoke & mirrors' encouraged by Monsanto and it's scientific 'experts'.

H2O, for instance, is great to put on a fire but dont try it with either H or O or the consequences will be spectacular.

Another one is Bovine Growth Hormone. Who in Australia does the testing and how do we get this product onto the test list? This is another Monsanto 'special' that is widely used in Australia.

cheers

floot

11. frosty

frosty Junior Member

if my grief ( and that of all the other people suffering from Roundup ) is boring you plumtree I suggest you use Roundup until you understand its effects first hand :evil:

I wont appologise to wankers for not just slinking off and dying quiety

dont bother complaining and getting me banned ( like you did at ALS )because the way I am going I estimate in less than a week I wont be able to type anymore - I cant even feed myself with having a fork strapped to my hand

and now loud noises have started causeing me to have seizures and next week the military are dropping 500lb bombs again so I doubt I can survive the week anyway

ALL DUE ORIGINANLY TO ORGANOPOSPHATE EXPOURE AND ROUNDUP IS AN OP

12. Cornonthecob

Ahhh abuse. It had to raise its ugly head sooner or later. And I was under the impression Plumtree was asking an honest question.

13. frosty

frosty Junior Member

its wasnt the question it was the tone of his last reply and dismissal of peoples suffering as boring

I made an honest effort to give him a reply about how roudup effects people

but then I know you have already wished me dead now it seems you will get you wish answered

14. christopher

christopher Junior Member

How utterly depressing that this conversation has come up again. I thought all the idiot Round Up enthusaists/apologists had fucked off to Happy Chemical Land. It's a real shame it keeps coming back.

Anyone who thinks Round Up is safe is either stupid, misled, willfully ignorant or brainwashed. No other options are available. Round Up is dangerous in the field to those who work the field, in the food of those who eat the resulting food. It is dangerous down wind and down stream. It is dangerous the day it is sprayed, and remains dangerous for long after word. It migrates through the soil via water, and through the food chain via predators. It accumulates in breast milk and in fat tissue.

If someone is too stupid to know better and uses it, and poisons themselves, too bad, but they brought it on themselves. If they poison their neighbors through their chemical is, like Frosty was, then that is a real shame, and they should be held accountable.

Glyphosate is dangerous alone, but, coupled with the surfectant used to hold the chemical on the leaves, it is especially prone to travelling in water, and it kills fish and other unintended non target aquatic creatures.

It is also an endocrine disruptor, and has been linked to reproductive harm in mammals, reptiles and fish.

Plumtree, look up the following links and see if you still think Round Up is safe. These are the pervious discussions (some of them):
    https://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewt ... ight=round
    https://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewt ... ight=round

15. Cornonthecob

Whoa Frosty!

Firstly I must apologise, I didn't realise Plumtree had referred to your reply as being 'boring'...and I must be blind because I still can't see where he wrote that.

And now I wish you to be dead, and my wish is going to be answered!

Ummm...has someone being posting using my name? cos as bad as my memory is I don't recall ever saying anything of the such. Could you please direct me to where you read this.

Or are you just upset because I pointed out that you, once again, have turned abusive towards someone who dares to question what you've written.

Chris I agree with you 100%.

However we all have to realise that just because 'we' know how bad Round Up is, and the evils Monsanto has commited over the years, shouldn't we also realise that not everyone has this same knowledge.

We had some very good replies to Plumtree's question....and then the usual abuse.

There's no need for the abuse, unless you're convinced that Plumtree has asked their question intending to stir up trouble.

If a person doesn't know better isn't it reasonable to believe that seeing the product on the supermarket shelf they may form the opinion that Round Up is safe....after all it's sold to anyone who has the money to buy it.

Trying to inform people to a potential danger is admirable thing. To become abusive when that person might ask, or even, question you further is not.

If Plumtree is a trouble marker then would someone please direct me to the proof showing this. If it's an honest question then lets spread the good word!

If we assume that everyone who comes into this forum has the knowledge that 'we' possess then it may very well be 'us' who are "either stupid, misled, willfully ignorant or brainwashed" (sorry Chris, I couldn't think of anything to write there myself!) :)

Plumtree.....you really do need to read the links offered. I have no doubt that all the answers you seek are in those.

16. Cornonthecob

What exactly are you accusing me of Frosty?

Have I ever disagreed with anything you've said?

How has my taking offence at your abusiveness the cause of any of your problems?

Personally I think if you could provide a link to your story about the boy dying from walking barefoot through a Round Up sprayed area would be all that would be needed to alert people to the danger of Round Up. Could you please let us know if there is anything online about that story, I couldn't find anything.

Oh...and for the record, I've never asked for you to be banned from anywhere. If you've been banned from ALS maybe you need to look at yourself. I have however, asked you to provide proof to some of the things you've said...all to no avail.

17. christopher

Hi Corny,

My reply was to Round Up in general, not Plumtree in specific, tho rereading what I wrote I understand how that could be interpreted that way. My apologies.

Also, my apologies for any perceived abuse. I am not a diplomat, and I sometimes say/write things without a proper self imposed filter. I am not attached to who said anything, but it makes my blood boil to see, repeatedly, the same garbage about Round Up being safe trundled out, yet again, here, at a Permaculture site. I told myself to avoid this topic, but I allowed myself to be sucked in. Stupid of me, wasn't it?

Plumtree, please don't think what i wrte was about you. It wasn't. There has been a deliberate campaign by Monsanto to ignore, minimize and refuse to acknowledge the grwing mountain of evidence about the dangers of Round Up. There have even been paid mis-informants who write articles and letters to news papers saying that Round Up is safe. It isn't. I hope you get the information you are looking for, either here or at some of the links posted in the previous threads I listed earlier. My apologies to you, too, if I have offended you.

C

18. christopher

Frosty,

I hope you get better soon.

Love,

Christopher

19. caldera

caldera Junior Member

i'd say holding onto negative emotional reactionary programming (i.e getting so worked up about issues that present themselves life) is way more harmful then glyphosate...

apprently you have to drink 700ml for it to kill you (which is way more then table salt)

:lol:

anyway what i would like to ask the forum members who are so heavily polarised towards the CHEMICALS = EVIL side of the coin (which in a way i am too)

what is your opinion on bush regeneration ?

my teacher has been spraying all sorts of nasties since the 80's and he is one of the happiest most well balanced human beings i've had the pleasure of meeting ?

this year for me has been one questioning all sort of our modern day practices (which seem to be based around maxime profit, at the expense of all else)

i have begun an organic garden and have convinced my family to stop spraying glyphosate in the orchid (which has had me doing the rounds with a chipping hoe)

but it looks like i'll be using a fair bit of glyphosate in my endevours to restore native vegetation

what is your opinion on this industry ?? it is heavily geared towards the use of pesticides

would appreciate you opinion,

i honestly got into bushregn just because i wanted to plant lots of trees (soak up carbon, i can see it become a major response to balancing the climate in coming years, planting BILLIONS of trees along roadsides and anywhere there is the soil and room)

:wink:

20. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Wouldnt it be a nice world if we could make Monsanto come clean?

An invaluable link for those wishing to become more informed.

https://www.naturescountrystore.com/roundup/page7.html

I reiterate, there exists confusion between glyphosate and RoundUp which very much benefits Monsanto and not the consumer.

cheers

floot