All things permapedia

Discussion in 'General chat' started by murray, Jun 10, 2006.

1. murray

murray Junior Member

Welcome to the permapedia wiki discussion thread.

The Permapedia is at https://www.permapedia.com/ and the intention is for it to become a Permaculture encyclopedia written collaboratively by many of its readers. It uses a special type of website, called a wiki, that makes collaboration easy and allows inappropriate changes to be removed quickly.

Don't be afraid to edit—anyone can edit almost any page, and we encourage you to be bold! Find something that can be improved, either in content, grammar or formatting, and fix it.

You can't break Permapedia. Anything can be fixed or improved later. So go ahead, edit an article and help it make the best information source on the Internet for Permaculture.

How to edit a page

Editing a Permapedia page is not very hard.

1. Simply click on the "edit this page" tab at the top of any Permapedia page (or on a section-edit link). This will bring you to a new page with a text box containing the editable text of the original page.

2. You should write a short edit summary in the small field below the edit-box. You may use shorthand to describe your changes, as described in the legend, and when you have finished, press the Show preview button to see how your changes will look. You can also see the difference between the page with your edits and the previous version of the page by pressing the "Show changes" button.

3. If you're satisfied with what you see, be bold and press the Save page button. Your changes will immediately be visible to other Permapedia readers.

For more info, check out my Quick guide to editing topic on Permapedia.

Adding a new topic

Sometimes you'll be on a page in Permapedia and think that it could use a new topic on it. That's easy to do.

1. Edit the current page, and insert your new topic link like this:

[[Effects of adding ducks into rice]]

2. Save your changes, describing what you did in the "short edit summary" field below the edit box.

3. When you review the saved page, you'll see a new link on it called "Effects of adding ducks into rice" (or whatever you typed). Click on the link and you'll be taken to the Edit window for your new page.

4. Add the new page's content and hit Save. You're done!

2. murray

murray Junior Member

Heirarchy

Here's something i found that looks quite functional. But let's feel free to talk about any organizational heirarchy that you think could work...

Zone 1 - Home: Everything you keep close. Everything that directly relates to the everyday.

Zone 2 - The Yard: This is the area just oustide your home. It is a common space used to host dandelions and the various adventures of chipmunks, robins, rabbits, and more ...

Zone 3 - The Farm: This is the area close to home and still familiar. Things may not be completely related to your home-space and this area may be more independant than others.

Zone 4 - The Wilderness: For all that is more distant and separate from your immediate surroundings. An area you will visit often and use for many purposes. In the end, you will return home.

Miscellaneous: All else that complements the above.

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

sounds great muzza if i ever work it out

Not sure what u mean totally but ....EG if i got fedup of say, posting about "Careing for open range Poultry" every few weeks,Would that meen that it would become a Permament fixture somewhere etc?

If So i think it would be a great addition.........But would Strongly suggest you include it on OUR Permie board...Lets keep it Simple and easy to FIND and OpPERATE....

Tezza

4. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Helloooooooooooooo Murray

So murray we use this for our normal permie stuff and if we start a thread on say greywater we walk it across to that forum and lay it out like an article.?

Also in one section is a huge list of permaculture definitions and at the bottom the biggest is by ANON.

So I could edit the ANON to now read FLOOT and technically everyone would think i was a legend??

The site concept looks great. If I understand it right we use this for our 'daily news' and that like a 'magazine'.

Is that it?

floot

5. Boab

Boab Junior Member

It's okay Floot. We already know you're a legend. :lol:

6. murray

murray Junior Member

floot

yep - you're right. the aim of the permapedia was to make it an open permaculture manual that's copyright free so people can use it, copy it, print it, give it out on street corners if they like. :lol:

that's right. the permapedia could become the authortitative source for all topics permaculture. you could point to articles there from here to avoid having to type everything in again.

make sense?

m

7. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

I've just had a play around and its great fun.

Apart from direct edits to the pages, you can discuss proposed changes to that page in the discussion tab for that page.

Each page has a history, so you can view each page as it was after a certain change. Each person's contribution to the article is clear to see from the history itself. You can always restore a page to what it was before an alteration, if necessary.

8. murray

murray Junior Member

wow - you guys are great. :)

i've talked tezza and floot thru how to edit pages and add articles, and now mungbeans has jumped in and gotten going straight away too. thanks for signing up for accounts too guys, it's nice to see your names in the recent changes list.

any feedback on the best frame for the front page of permapedia?

- do you think the four "zones" work?
    - would an A-Z index be better?
    - or a topic-level table of contents?
    - maybe something similar to Bill's perma manual (don't want to copy it tho')

m.

9. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I think they probably work for this purpose, but might cause some confusion... I mean, I think it is fine, as the idea of zoning in design is to get us to think about energy flows and how we can best make use of them... but if you are going to be analogous to Bill's zone system, maybe it would be better to go whole hog and have 5 zones? Maybe it isn't necessary, but its a thought.
    Of course, then there is zone 0, the personal space or whatever that some Permies are very interested in too. :D

10. murray

murray Junior Member

hmm.. i've never read bill's stuff, so i didn't know the zone thing originated with him. i just found it on a site somewhere with no affiliation to bill.

11. Richard on Maui

Uh, yep. It was him and this bloke called Davey Holmgren. They sort of collaborated on the idea. :lol:
    Zone 5 is traditionally the wilderness zone. Its that part that we leave for nature to do its thing unmolested. Perhaps we take some yields, like honey from the bees that forage there, or some very low impact selective logging, but it is there as a reserve for the wild things.
    Zone 4 would be the intermediary between the wilderness zone and the more regularly visited zone 3... agroforestry applications fit well in zone 4.
    But like I say, it might not be appropriate for your site.

12. murray

murray Junior Member

yeah - i thought so.

like i said, i'm open for pretty much any kind of organization that people think could work.

last thing i want to do is upset the copyright holders of said work.

13. Richard on Maui

I would be suprised (if this upsets anyones copyrights). It is sort of a homage more than anything. Copyright is stupid anyway, in my humble opinion.
    "YOu can't use my cricket bat, its MY cricket bat, get your own cricket bat..."

14. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

I've just added some comments to the discussion page of the main page of the wiki. It probably makes more sense to discuss the content there rather than in two places.

15. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Murray,

What a great idea! I am glad to see so many people involved already! It looks like this is going to take off really well.

I m off to look at the site now...

C

16. Mike_E_from_NZ

Mike_E_from_NZ Junior Member

I used to belong to a discussion group (a computer related one) that used a wiki to achieve a permanent record of the community knowledge. Whenever a new conclusion was reached a brief discussion ensued as to who would write the wiki article.

This might be a way of building the wiki in a relevent and timely manner.

I also notice that a lot of articles have a link to a discussion on this forum. I think that this link would be better identified for what it is. Maybe a section in each article, separate from "Links" called "Discussion Links"?

Mike

17. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Need moderator help

Murry
    I tried to put a questionaire on my post
    "DDT makes a comeback in effort to halt malaria"
    But it does not seem to work.
    Could you fix it for me please?
    m

18. murray

murray Junior Member

hi Michaelangelica --

the poll works fine -- i just cast my vote :)

m.

19. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

20. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Re: All things permapedia

No wonder it got lost....it got lost in termoil and lack of interest or lack of knowledge...

such a shame,coz we did end up having to answer the same 10 questions 100 each with no where to say........."hey try here"

Is there anychance of it being started up again...is muzza still around?

seams like the one from Free Permaculture is the original one.... good find Free..

The other perma wiki one looks pretty good also.... but still wondering where muzzas original got too,can we get it back

Coincedently if you type in a descriptive word eg Tagasastie,it give a rundown on all the forums and post that disscuss tagasasties.....

funny how on my computer they nearly all mine lol...try typing in any thing,its doing it allready for us under our permacultian noses

Tezza