Aiki Designs - in harmony with life energy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by aikidesigns, Aug 26, 2010.

1. aikidesigns

aikidesigns Junior Member

Hi All,
    I'm an anarchist, palaeoecology nut and serious student of permaculture who likes to think deep and hard about both the big picture and the nitty-gritty detail of design. Apologies if I sometimes sound opinionated or go on a bit (yawn) but I do love a vigorous debate and I am totally committed to bringing permaculture thinking to a wider audience in our retarded-by-poor-design society.
    Check out the consulting/permie-business forum soon for my pitch... until then you can visit my website here (under construction - mind your head!)
    Ben

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You'll fit right in around here then! Welcome.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Ben and welcome!

Your site looks great, good luck with your first PDC offering. No worries about being opinionated (it's not a rare quality on the forums), just be gentle with those having different views from your own.

Being merely a yank I'm constantly being exposed to new and unique Anarchist views here (which is a good thing) but I've never heard of palaeoecology before. Care to give us a rundown?

Bill

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Welcome Ben :)
    People opinionated here?
    No way, that is total absolute rubbish!
    But we do try to be kind/polite/respectful when we are being opinionated.;)

I have not heard of palaeoecology either. something about ancient environments?

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    And, what's in your ezine?

6. aikidesigns

Thx for the welcome all...
    Trying to get here about once a week for now but due to idiosyncrasies of my intellectual metabolism this may be more ideal than actual =)
    Palaeoecology: literally the study of ancient ecologies. Not sure if it's accepted as a legitimate science (couldn't care less either) but it is properly a branch of palaeontology informed by ecology, evolutionary biology and other sciences such as palynology (pollen) and anthropology.
    To answer your question pebble - the free ezine is a not-quite-regular feast of quotes, snippets from my courses/writings, useful weblinks and random advice. Feel free to sign up and check it out - you can always unsubscribe if you are no longer interested. Suggestions are always welcome, and the more subscribers I get, the more incentive I have to find content to send out to you all!

7. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Ben

Welcome to the PRI Forum :)

Well, you certainly have many facets to your being! I have enjoyed my brief visit to your website this morning, and exploring its many channels. Of note, your Hyperprayer. Great stuff! I hope to get back there soon and spend more time exploring your interests.

So, a paleoecologist, hey? I guess if one must have a label, then this one is as good as any:

PALEOECOLOGY (AKA ANCIENT ECOLOGY) was first introduced in the mid-1800s by the British naturalist Edward Forbes as a result of his consideration of the fossil record in light of his biological observations of marine life. In 1916 Frederick Clements used the term to refer to the study of past vegetation. Paleoecology is the study of fossils in order to reconstruct ancient ecosystems. See James Dodd and Roberts Stanton's Paleoecology: Concepts and Applications.

Source: Esbjorn-Hargens & Zimmerman (2009) Integral Ecology: Using Multiple Perspectives on the Natural World. Boston: Shambhala Publications, pp. 521-22.

I note that you are working on designing a Urban Permaculture Strategies course. Following are a couple of tomes that I have read recently that may be of interest to you:

Brugman, J. (2009) Welcome to the Urban Revolution: How Cities are Changing the World. St Lucia, QLD: UQ Press.

Ellyard, P. (2008 ) Designing 2050: Pathways to sustainable prosperity on spaceship earth. Yarraville, VIC: TPN TXT.

Gleeson, B. (2010) Lifeboat Cities. Sydney: UNSW Press

I further note that you are a (perhaps?) a student of Holmgren. Therefore I am sure that you are already aware of the many ideas he has with regards to urban permaculture.

Cheerio, for now, Markos.

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

So, you would be interested in/know about the oldTerra preta (Black earth)based societies of S. America?

know anything about the gardening practices of the Maya or Aztecs?
    It is said they had massive botanical gardens long before Europe.

9. aikidesigns

I don't know much except that they used biochar to enrich the soil...
    Would love to hear/read more about it tho!