Agriculture Institute of Canada's report on "sustainability"

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Douglas J.E. Barnes, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

This paper from the Agricultural Institute of Canada is a somewhat hopeful, and at the same time rather disappointing work. At least it is trying to look at sustainability in Canadian farming. I disagree, however, with the foreword where it says “[e]ach decade, human ingenuity matches the swelling populace with more food production, and emerging technologies continue to deny Malthus his prophecy.” Unless something has happened without me knowing about it [which is possible], world food production peaked in 1999 or 2000 – human population did not. The authors, to their credit, ask “how much longer can we continue to produce more and more and more, and at what cost?”

One major flaw is that they don’t define what “sustainable” means, which leads me to suspect that they don’t have the slightest clue as to what the term means. Sustainability is not “in the eye of the beholder” as the paper suggests.

Some sensible things the paper does suggest are:

2. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

My Feelings Re this Subject Are ........

All the time we spend/waste arguing about who is gonna do this,how are these going to survive,How do we do it this way,etc etc...With the Idea of it continuing in the same vein as last 2005 years.Is living in a Dream world more rosey then mine 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) The whole life style we live know in Aussie,and the other So called Developed western countries, Is Going To CRASH,before anyone in Power willingly changes
    our Lifestyles any.The reason Is because Governments Dont Give A flying EFF, about anyone, bar em selves...thats ok i care less about them 8) 8)

They say The farmers will solve our problems :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No way.

Desalination wil save us :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: No WAy.

The Pollies will sort it out ...No comments on a mixed site, Please :lol:

Theres Just Too many mouths to feed allready on this poor planet..

Why will the pollies HELP there too busy killing and destroying to save...

Australia is like a Paddock . wich never gets any bigger.The big water trough back in 1700s was a big huge shiney brand new tank,it was full of fresh sparkly water .with just a few black Sheep( with appologies to our native brothers n sisters. YES Ill SAy IM SORRY to THEM....Some king bloke sends over a couple of sheep ships.(white Colonizers)sheep in human clothes.They bring their pests to keep em happy in the New old World.Foxes,rats,rabbits,horses,and the worse one HUMANS..well They all been down to the trough to drink and play.Theyve splashed and wasted a lot ,weve mated and crossed and are slowly filling up the Paddock,the trough is looking a bit leaky,the waters a bit salty,bit browner,and a lot less in the trough to boot.We offer finacial inducments to produce more babies.just to look after the Bosses, as the workers get further Down Trodden.They want us to Work untill 70.75 .in companys that wont employ anyone over 35.because after that were too old before 25 were too young and unreliable,If we get Hurt,or injured whilst working,we spend a fortune paying Expert Medical Personell to make life even harder by making out anyone injured is a lazy s.o.b.Then refuse them a place in the work place, because were supposedly injured and incapable of working.Drive along any Road in any town In australia.Its full of single person cars all going somewhere..Does ANYBODY work any more,Were crying out for carers and Nurses,doctors,Police,school teachers have to cope with 30 plus kids in classes.and you get all these people at home or driving the roads...People dying waiting for surgery.People with no teath (like me) xcause no one cares about the health system.Unles off course You can afford to pay for it.Most of the health budget is spent of helping the benifit funds make profits.so as to lighten the burden on the public hospitals. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: We send Our Poor defensive kids off into a scarey world full of sickos who are supposed to be looking after them.... why because the government,says some mothers have to find jobs,and then leave the kids at home with the tele as company..Or the Sicko relative who smiles at you as you leave your children in their care.
    :twisted: :twisted: ..

Im ending this Ive said enough...

Louis Armstrong once sang...."What A Wonderfull World"

Funny How some Things Never Change Huh......

Im glad I beleive in Reincanation....As i Look forward to a better chance next time around..

Or those that beleive in One Life only......Well, what are you lot doing?

Tezza

3. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

I'm not sure what Pollies are. I have a hunch they are these people, though I could be wrong.

As for your rhetorical question, I am designing sustainable systems for those with the sense to ask for them.