Agriculture in Afghanistan - Loss of sustainable agrimethods

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Cara Rosehope, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Cara Rosehope

Cara Rosehope New Member

This a request for information rather than a discussion. I have just returned to Australia after a month in Afghanistan. Among the myriad problems facing the country is a deterioration in soil fertility in some areas. While traditionally the small holdings that are the norm there have been worked sustainably, with a mixture of tree crops and annual plantings using organic methods, the situation there has meant that many of the trees have been cut down. Organic materials that would once have been used to mulch are now used for fuel or for animal fodder, while potential composting material such as vegetable waste is also foraged by the livestock. I heard people in high places talk about building urea plants to increase fertility, and the need to replace the often seed-raised (and absolutely delicious!) wild type fruit trees now grown, with the more uniform varieties acceptable in other countries and therefore exportable.

Afghanistan has some highly fertile river valleys and plains that have been farmed sustainably for aeons so successfully that the country has normally been self-sufficient food-wise.
    Far be it for some westerner to impose their ideas on the country, but I am concerned after what I have seen, and the country clearly needs some help to get back to what it has done so well for so long. So, does anybody know of any one or any organisation who involve themselves in such things?

Cheers

CARA ROSEHOPE

2. TomDuncan

TomDuncan Guest

These two contacts I know both conduct permaculture oriented development activities in Afghanistan. In fact, Ro Morrow might be there now according to a friend of mine Gary Kaganov who is making a film about the reconstruction of Afghanistan, particularly through permaculture.

If you do organise something, let us know.

Cheers, Tom
    [email:39cvnlyt][email protected][/email:39cvnlyt]

ROSEMARY MORROW - EARTH LITERACY
    Phone: 02 4782 3011
    Permaculture training; overseas aid services.

SEED SAVERS NETWORK
    Michelle + Jude Fanton
    PO Box 975 Byron Bay NSW 2481;
    Phone/fax 02 6685 6624
    https://www.seedsavers.net
    Courses: community seed saving • seed saving for overseas development workers

3. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi Cara,

Just to add to Toms info. If you go to the Seed Savers site you can read up on the good work they are doing in Afghanistan. https://seedsavers.net/

I found in interesting the type of aid these farmers are receiving, and why and how Michel and Jude are trying to help them.

Cheers

Dave