Aerobic versus Anaerobic

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Benjy136, Jun 17, 2012.

1. cottager

cottager Junior Member

The African's have the same blue that the scrubbies do ... definately spotable amongst the reds and rubellus (related to the latin root word rufus btw ... rufus is red ) :)

Curious that your worms ran to the edges, and you noticed that it was wos down to crappy manure. What made it crappy? (The manure?) ... that is something to know.

Good on you for being so brilliantly part of the community, such that you got a listing with your local council!

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I find under a compact fluro the Africans light up really well and the purple ( to me anyway ) head sets them apart. The manure I got was full of rubbish and dirt. So many sticks and rocks plus too much straw for my liking. My daughter moved her horse further away so I actually paid for some manure with a mate and we got a trailer load. Won't do that again lol.

I didn't realise you were a wormie. The Lumbricus rubellus, there is so much confusion out there about worms. Some sites list them as Europeans while others say Eisenia hortensis are Euros. Then photos of worms differ but have the same name when they are not the same worm. I just want to give people the correct information. The worms I have fit the description down to a tee. Getting clear photos is next to impossible so it is hard to know who is right.

The lady who runs the Worm workshops is great. I sent her some information about a year and a half ago and we have gone from there. The people from the workshops say she really praises me up so I send her a thank you after each sale.

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Hang on - what are you going to do with the worm mixture container? Set it up as worm farm and see if the worms die? Surely if the question is does manure from a recently wormed animal kill compost worms, then you need some manure not the container.

4. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

My plan was to test both if possible. I would have to get to a horse within a day to get the fresh manure so it might not happen yet. I was going to mix a bit of water with any residue in the container and then test on some worms all in the name of science.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Ok - I can see that. I'm aware that there will be a difference between poo that may contain metabolites from the stuff, vs the raw stuff. I'm really interested to hear how it goes cos I've heard people swear blind that they know the truth and that it does - and doesn't harm compost worms. Which after all are a different species to parasitic worms found in the gut.