advice on buying land and design ideas

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by anjan, Dec 15, 2008.

1. anjan

anjan Junior Member

hi everybody,
    namaste fro india :)
    i am looking to buy a 2 acre land for my family of 5 ( myself wife and baby daughter and my father and mother) to gradually develop our land in permaculture way and move out of the city and still be close to it if needed !
    i am looking to buy land on a slight hill a short distance from the sea in coastal india in konkan region close to goa and there is lot of rainfall , eroded land and red soil.
    can you think of what things i should look out for while buying such a land and if you have suggestiions for how to design the land
    cheers
    anjan

2. Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen Junior Member

Re: advice on buying land and design ideas

Anjan,
    The first thing you should be doing is look at the history of thae land use. This will tell you more than anything about what is possible. Secondly, seek the advice of a local permie who knows the climatic and soil capabilities. I've never been to Goa, but from what I know there must be a permie there somewhere!! Otherwise for a paid holiday, I'll have a look!!!! :oops:

Do the basics. What grows around the area? How else is the land used? Talk to locals about the soil etc etc.
    Phil