Advertisng on this forum?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Michaelangelica, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

So should we put adds on this forum?
    The money could be used to pay moderators huge corporate salaries and buy me more RAM.

Alternatively a scholarship, community garden or hardship (bushfires) fund could be set up?

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: Advertisng on this forum?

I run google ads on my sites. I make probably $100 a year.

I've managed to incorporate mine into my sites content which is less intrusive. I have seen forums with Google ads... some look ok, others look like a cheap way to make a penny.

This forum gets the traffic. It often shows up in searches i do for Horticulture/Permaculture/Chemical related searches.

I guess it comes down to what the boss/es want to do with it and how it could be strategically implimented into the site.

3. Michaelangelica

Thanks for your thoughts Millie.

It is maybe worth considering.
    It depends on what the members, and the Permaculture Institute wants.

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day All

No.

Cheerio, Mark.

5. Michaelangelica

Yes agreed Mark, advertising sucks.
    But what are your main objections?
    Would you still object if money raised could be used for permaculture Scholarships or setting up a Permaculture Charitable Trust Fund?
    (I could be convinced to forgo my corporate salary for a bit ;) )

6. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    I ignore ads anyway, in fact don't even notice when they are there (unless they have moving bits - so possibly too many moving ones would be annoying)
    but then it might put new members off if they perceive it as a site to shift product
    I think it would be fair for moderators to receive some remuneration for their efforts, as all they get now is 'well done' occasionally but probably not enough, so 'well done' moderators whilst I'm at it.
    I guess from the site's point of view you would need to find out if it is actually worth the effort, 100 buck's ain't much for a year - but enough for a couple of cartons at Xmas none the less.
    Perhaps run an actual 'poll' on the subject too
    cheers

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I think my role is as basic moderator.... but regardless of the title, if ads were implimented, i'd rather see the money used to promote the site or for permaculture training etc. I wouldn't personally accept any personal remuneration...

Maybe we could buy the smilies and avatars back :eek:)

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Michael

In my opinion, opening up our forum to corporate effluent would be analogous to prostituting ourselves on a street corner named 'desire and greed'. This forum is a place of sanctuary. It is place where all freely come together to engage in reasoned discourse and reach satisfactory agreement which enables each us to learn and ultimately change our worldviews. Advertising, even if the profits were to go to a worthy cause, would sully this place of beauty and turn it into a pile of stinking, 'plastic' ideals.

Cheerio, Mark.

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

My garden is my sanctuary... this forum is where i come to find out new things and if possible help others along the way. But i do see where your going, Mark, and i agree.

The one positive thing about google adsense is the ads are automatically targeted to the sites content... most ads showing would be permaculture / horticulture / agriculture related by default.

10. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Folks,

This concept has been visited before.

I believe Murray makes a few bob a month out of google ads. Geoff makes a living out of permaculture schools etc and any individual posters that are regulars here can post their sites. I have not seen any of them docked etc.

We do have a nuisance issue of people who post 'third party sites' that are mostly predatory in nature and have been very destructive in their ability to tie up the site and waste bandwidth but we have those under control at the moment..

Maybe once in a while a site owner might hop in here but if you are promoting permaculture and any of its bits and pieces then any member is free to use this site. As for having an advertising policy I do believe it has been covered by the folks that pay for this site and they are not against sharing. Our [forum posters] biggest issue was with idiot spammers and we seem to have that covered now.

So if you are a member and a permaculturist and you wish to promote your legitimate activities then please do so. The site owners have every opportunity to advertise within this forum but have, thus far, chosen to leave it as a ...... forum.... If you visit our 'front page' then there is plenty of advertising out there we can partake of. Actually one of our mods milifestyle advertises a commercial site here and no bigdeal. We used to have a chatter called Rainbowfarmer [??] who used a commercial link to his business as part of his signature. There have been a few that do it. In my few years here this hasnt been an issue.

I endorse this policy wholeheartedly.

IF YOUR QUESTION is should we doll up our site with advertising banners to 'interest' our forum members and guests - then that is a different issue, the ethics and mechanics of this should really be taken up with the site owners as it would require a fundamental shift in practise. I would endorse the debate.

cheers,

ho-hum

11. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

ho-hum,

Michael is proposing Google adsense as opposed to individual site advertisers.

Google automatically targets a sites content to display ads. Theres only one code to add to the site and ads change automatically according to the content of the page...

A thread about chooks might likely display ads about chooks or chicken coops etc
    A thread about organic gardening might likely display ads about organics etc

I'm not saying that i'm for or against using them... just throwing my experience with them into the picture.

regarding my links... I only have links in the signature file and they don't always direct back to my personal sites... I currently have a link to a very good book which i have no affiliation with whatsoever...

Personal websites... like mine, len's, purple's etc and several other personal domains, displays who a person is... what they are about and their passion for it. If one was to post on this forum with a links to the latest fashion outlet or shoe brand, regardless of whether it was in the body of a post or the signature file... it would be promptly removed.

12. murray

murray Junior Member

hi all

we had google ads running 3 years ago for a month or two, but not since.

i'd support a community advertising model in place of the regular google-style ads definitely, but it's geoff's call, since he pays for the hosting of the forum.

cheerz

m

13. Michaelangelica

How much does that cost him?(Is that why we can't fix smilies & avitars?)?
    (ball park)

Is it worth another 3 month trial?
    Can the money be put into an education/charitable trust that/where we can all see what happens to it?

14. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Re: Advertising on this forum?

I'm definitely agin ads (of the google adsense kind, no problem with people putting relevant links in their signature). I remember the ads we had before and they were intrusive.

Like Mark, I see this place as a kind of sanctuary, a place that seeks other ways of trading. And advertising would be against permie philosophy imo. Google adsense won't give admin enough control to ensure that the ads are permaculture or sustainability related, even if there were enough 'consumers' and businesses to warrant such control (which I seriously doubt) i.e. we'd be getting ads that don't fit for sure. And such control would mean more work for moderators/admin.

Unless the forum and/or PRI and/or Geoff are in financial trouble, I can't see why this is even an issue. If there is financial trouble, then I think there needs to be a wider discussion about what we can do about that. But to use this forum as a way of generating funds for offsite projects (albeit worthy ones) would undermine the community. The forum is owned by Geoff/PRI (and certainly their pov is important here), but the forum is also dependent on those who post here. Anything that might put people off is not a good idea.

I really appreciate the work the moderators do (especially as I've been here when the hard spamming was going on). I also appreciate all the voluntary work everyone here does every time they answer a post and offer their time and experience freely.

15. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Ina thread about raising N.Z White rabbits, if Google ads were displayed, ads about rabbits, rabbit products, cages etc would display.

A thread about tomatoes would also have ads relating tomatoes, etc...

Point being, if ads were able to be incorporated they could be looked upon as a search option for further information on the topic being discussed, rather than a revenue raiser. Because only relevant ads will show.

Advertising does sound negative but there are positives in most negatives...

16. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

I've been searching for a way to say my piece on this and I believe Pebbles says it better that I could so thanks Pebbles ditto

17. Michaelangelica

Re: Advertising on this forum?

OK.
    OK, already
    just a suggestion. :)

18. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Thanks purplebear :)

Eric, I think you have more faith in google's tech skill than I do ;-) Someone linked to the Earthships website in another thread https://www.earthship.net/education/vide ... iples.html

At the moment the google ads on that page are:

N.Z. Straw Bale Homes.
    Creating Quality Straw Bale Homes. 10+ Years Experience in N.Z !
    https://www.StrawBuiltHomes.com

Aussie Mining Stocks
    FREE Report Reveals Where the Smart Money is Heading
    https://www.DailyReckoning.com.au

Masonry Design Solutions
    Architecture for Masonry Homes Design, Build, Project Management
    https://www.themasonrygroup.co.nz

100% Natural 100% Herbal
    Powerful natural alternatives with no known side effects!
    In2Herbs.co.nz/SexualWellbeing

No Diets - No Pills
    Featured on Campbell Live. Over 220 pounds Lost. See Actual Photos.
    GabrielMethod.com.au/NoM

Max Speed Broadband
    Make a move to TelstraClear’s new HomePlan We predict you’ll like it.
    https://www.telstraclear.co.nz/go/broadband

How 2 Build Solar Panels
    Learn To Make Your Own Electricity Reduce Your Energy Bills Up To 80%
    MakingYourOwnEnergyEasy.com

N.Z. Straw Bale Homes.
    Creating Quality Straw Bale Homes. 10+ Years Experience in N.Z !
    https://www.StrawBuiltHomes.com

Mining Rebound 2009
    Will You Miss Out On the Biggest Bull Run of 2009?
    https://www.DailyReckoning.com.au

Some of those are obviously relevant but do we really want mining stock adverts on this forum? Or diet pills? Herbal aphrodisiacs? Google is not that smart, I see the ads that come up on my gmail, and the relationships between content and ads are sometimes abstract, or they interpret words or subjects quite differently from the content. And they pick up more than just the subject of a thread.

And even for the relevant ads here, I don't see commercial sites that pay for advertising as being the best source of further information on a topic other than product. If I want product I'll use google search. Even where the commercial sites are useful, I'm not sure it's worth the price of having all the other irrelevant or crap ads.

19. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:

Michaelangelica, some people really dislike advertising. There's a few of us here I guess ;-) This is such a great forum, and fantastic it's so busy now. Don't think we should mess with that :)

20. bernado soares

bernado soares Junior Member

From the poison comes the cure.