A relationship between drug addiction and global warming?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Rebekah Copas, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Rebekah Copas

Rebekah Copas New Member

Hi,

I have been working recently supporting indigenous addicts to enable themselves to cease using opiates, and as they recover, and as I thought through their addiction-sustaining-delusions with them, to point them in the direction of recovery, I noticed something quite alarming.

Basically, eventually I got the story straight, in that preventing addictive behaviour in humanity, is the critical change necessary to prevent global warming, AND, it is not simply that addictive behaviour is what we naturally fall towards when lacking self discipline, so much as that when we share our communities with active drug addicts, we become influenced by their thinking.

In particular, alcohol and opium, are what could be referred to as "fire element" drugs. (caffienes and cocaine are water element; tobacco is air element; magic mushrooms and LSD and Ayahausca etc are Earth element; and cannabis is so full of good wood, that we ought not be smoking it all up) And as anybody who pokes there noses into the ways of psychological analysis of the world, which dividing it up in to five perceptual elements enables, fire burns wood. So it is sort of so obvious that we all ought to have noticed sooner, that there is a real connection between opiate addiction increasing, and burning fossil fuels increasing. It may sound like an intangible point to be making, but if we start to research the question of what industries invest in what other industries, I think it will prove to be very substantial. The Big Picture came home kicking with me recently. I mean, who could deny the obvious link between wars in the middle east, crude oil, and opium. I've met a few returned soldiers who became addicted to heroin while on active service in Iraq and Afghanistan, which only brings the point home harder.

However, in stating this, I also MUST state, that the problem can be sourced not so much to addicts themselves, and not even so much to suppliers of addictive drugs, as it can be sourced to those portions of the economy, who suppose that they themselves were above addictive habits, and were blaming all the drug addicts whose lives were lived in poverty, and who used little resources by comparison to those blaming them. Sure the people who were actually addicted to opiates and/or alcohol, all have been problematic in sustaining the kind of psychological balances which work in the wrong direction, but normally, the only way to help addicts to change, is by proving to them, that they were not the cause of their addiction!! Who was? Conceivably one day folk will trace investments which prove that there were parts of the economy which depended upon having addicts nearby to be blaming, and potentially also those parts of the economy were originally funded by drug money, for example, Coco Cola used to have real cocaine in it.

How many permies know folk who agree with the ideals, yet fell out with the rest of us because of poor interpersonal habits caused by addiction? If anybody has anything to add to my comments here, please go ahead, I know that often the nature of addiction related trauma, is that it needs debriefing to be able to recover. Have a look at my bio at the worldwide permaculture network also, since it addresses the same topic. https://www.permacultureglobal.com/users/2745-rebekah-copas

It is just too easy for us all to think we could just blame those who fell by the wayside into excessively addictive habits, and yet, we knew how easily it might have been ourselves who so fell. Neither can we all claim that none of our own behavioural habits were bad for the environment. But what I am here suggesting, is that to remedy the habits of opiate addicts, could have a very rapid effect on the whole of the human collective subconscious, and therefore, the whole human lead bio-sphere.

What do others think/believe about this?

2. johnw7000

johnw7000 Junior Member

Climate:
    Somewhere on this vast continent
    Hi Rebekah,
    I know this is a really old post you did but I found it quite interesting as I have just finished a book by Jeremy Narby (an Anthropologist) called "The Cosmic Serpent' and am half way through reading another by Rachel Harris (a Psychologist) called "Listening to Ayahausca'.

I don't look at Ayahausca and other Psychoactive plants as drugs as such but more of a plant based medicine that the Western world is only touching upon and realising now.

In saying this, I am not into taking drugs for the sake of 'getting off' so to speak whatsoever. I don't even drink Alcohol and consider it a very harmful drug for the effects I have witnessed first hand throughout my life and around the world in general.

I hope you get an alert from my comment as I am keen to hear of your journey and expriences and thoughts over the past 7 years since you posted this thread.

Regards,
    John

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    mischief likes this.
  3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i think there are many different kinds of addictions, some cause more harm than others,
    not many are actually criminal to my mind as long as you aren't forcing them upon
    someone else or harming someone else... it's pretty sad though when they become
    destructive and take down other people too...

johnw7000 likes this.