a radical change

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Lantis, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Lantis

Lantis New Member

Climate:
    Slovakia, northern moderate zone
    Hello everyone!

My name is Lantis, I've recently turned vegan, I love nature and I guess that is why I love permaculture. I live in the capital of Slovakia, have a meaningless job that I want to give up and invest all my money to buy a piece of land, some quiet far-away place, that I'd like to turn into a permaculture farm. So far I've been searching for a meaningful work that would enable me not only to protect the nature but also create conditions for life for many animals and plants. This is a dream come true and no matter what the cost will be, I will follow it.

I have no experience with farming, I have only seen some documentaries by Geoff Lawton, Martin Crawford and Sepp Holzer and also read a book by Holzer. I am also reading some stuff on the internet as well as looking into companion planting and so on. As I've mentioned earlier, I wan to invest all my money into this and only keep a small amount for expenses. Right now I'm contemplating the PLAN and all the questions of how big a land should I buy, how many animals and what kinds should I keep, how many fruit trees and what varieties etc. There is just so much to do! It is great to finally have a purpose. My question for you would probably be - if you would be in my shoes, how would you proceed, or what would you pay the most attention to?

Thank you all!

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    it depends upon the area and what the surrounding community is like and what it will support. that is if you are trying to make a commercial impact. if instead you are interested in conserving wildlife, improving soils, growing crops and animals for food, etc. that can be a whole different approach...

what other people do you know of in the area that are doing similar things? can you start working with them to help? are there co-ops? CSAs? or local farmers that you like that you can help out? that is how to learn best, by doing and seeing what others are doing.

savings help a great deal in that they give you a cushion against what comes up, and believe me there are always things coming up. to the extent you can find ways to invest which is in line with your beliefs then this helps the overall community, but can also give you a bit of income on the side.

i quit working full-time many years ago and then quit my part-time job when the new manager and i finally called it quits, but i miss the job (librarian in a small town) so if you can find a job more in line with what you like to do that will help you keep working while still feeling like you are contributing to what you beleive in. if i'd stayed working another five years i'd have been able to afford acreage, but again then i'd have been mired in a whole different life too and maybe not able to get out of it so easily.

around here finding farm acreage is not easy or inexpensive.

good luck! and certainly keep reading and studying, but also start doing even if it means a small community garden plot or helping others improve their garden spaces. walking around and looking for people/gardeners/properties you admire and asking around can help you find people to connect with, and i don't know many gardeners who don't like to talk about what they're doing or appreciated some help. :)

Lantis likes this.
  3. Lantis

Lantis New Member

Climate:
    Thank you Songbird. I want mainly to create conditions for life, biodiversity and improve soil as well as to grow local plants and trees. The problem is, that Slovakia is very monoculturally oriented country depending heavily on chemical fertilizers and "traditional" methods of growing crops. I think there might just be one or two farms trying to go in a different direction, but I'm not sure if you could call them permaculture farms. However, I consider myself very lucky as I have the financial means to buy my own piece of land. A few years back, I wanted to build a wooden house near the capital on a small piece of land, that would cost some 100 thousand Euros (I would have to take a loan for that). But than I asked myself, what good would come of all that money and all that trees cut down? So I decided to do this instead and there is so much life that will come out of this! :f )

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  5. Lantis

Lantis New Member

Climate: