A place for non-farmers in permaculture?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Ludi, Aug 7, 2012.

1. wmthake

wmthake Junior Member

Permaculture is primarily a decision-making tool that can be applied at many levels.
    -Toby Hemenway.

Try to use permaculture principles to design your kitchen. I think you'll be surprised.
    William

2. deee

deee Junior Member

A nice and very fitting quote, William. Toby Hemenway is one of my heroes!

Ludi, very, very nice links! Thanks muchly
    D

3. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    Etsy* :y:

*Disclaimer: While there are lots of nice handmade things there, it's also flooded with overpriced manufactured ripoffs, and actual junk.

4. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Short answer, yes there is most definitely a place for non-farmers and even non-gardeners in permaculture.

Long answer: electricians and engineers to design renewable energy systems for either a home or even an entire city like New York. Weavers to turn textiles into bolts of cloth for clothing(figs are deciduous after all). Shopkeepers who sell local crafts and food. Basketweavers who turn willow into, well, baskets. Blacksmiths to repair metal tools such as shovels, or to even craft new ones from recycled materials. Teachers to teach our children permaculture. Tinkerers to keep our computers and networks running(they are useful tools). People to service oil free vehicles(not sure if you'd call someone fixing a wood gasifier truck a mechanic). Then there's the "cultural" jobs of singers, dancers, storytellers, actors, etc. Plus the purely academic jobs of historian, scientists, etc. Just because oil is gone doesn't mean we have to stop moving forward in our knowledge.

I think this list can be almost endless. The point of permaculture is not for everyone to get an acre or more of land and grow their own food, it's to keep culture(albeit in a different form) going also. Sure, people will have to grow food, and food production is probably one of the biggest goals, but it is far from the only goal. For instance, I'm sure that I can work with nature to create a successful food forest, but I probably couldn't also make my cob house, rocket stove, black and gray water systems, renewable energy systems and so forth. Let alone weave my own clothing or cobble together a pair of shoes(though I have done some leatherworking in my day, so shoes are not out of the question).

I think one of the bigger issues, however, is the infrastructure in a permacultural society. It all starts with natural systems for our resources. We have to have food forests to supply these materials before anyone else can do their jobs that don't directly relate to agriculture.

But if the gardeners don't grow the wood, food and textiles, then there really isn't anything else to do. Without someone growing cotton or..whatever linen is made from(flax?), then clothes makers have nothing to do, nor do home builders and everyone in between. I think that is why the "farmer" takes the spotlight in permaculture.

If I had the choice of which job to take in a permaculture world, it would be the farmer, but not because it is the pivotal skill set, but it's because it's what I love to do(well gardening at least). The food forest is also the poster child of permaculture. It shows that food doesn't have to be produced using chemicals or by severely tampering with nature and the results can be equal, if not better, than industrial agriculture. And when the oil runs out, that's going to be very important on a local scale.

5. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Thank you for your insights, everyone. :)

6. Farside

Farside Junior Member

I'm one of these people and hopefully I have a place in this world :)

I have a technology background and I spend my life automating systems. Permaculture is all about systems so I figure I can probably automate some of it somewhere.
    Maybe even put together online tools to connect farmers and customers, manage distribution systems and help bring Mollisons' revolution to full fruition.

JMHO