A Permaculture Garden virgin - Help

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Mikey, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Mikey

Mikey Junior Member

:) My wife and I have recently purchased a 1/2 acre section that is pretty much lawn. Am very keen to take to path of self sufficiency (within reason) but do not know where to start.
    Are there any good books or resources like 'Permature/gardening for dummies' out there that anyone could recommend? I live in Southeast QLD near the Sunshine Coast so any references for this region would be preferable.

Cheers.
    Mikey

2. Greenearth

Greenearth Junior Member

mmm, fruit and nut trees are good!

...the forest gardening thing is something I've got very much into...foood forestry. You'll obviously have to sus out the possible species/cultivars etc for your area. 1/2 acres quite a lot....you'll have the 'canopy layer'...bushes/shrubs..then plently of room for ground cover. Its a large area...you should be able to feed yourself pretty much with that I should think if you really go for it. If you have water you can grow big bulky vegetables also..its difficult to mentally ween yourself of the traditional gardening thing.

3. Ryan

Ryan Junior Member

I have found that it is really helpful to use the Search function on this site to lookup many of my permie related interests. This page is a stockpile of info.

4. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

permie virgin

Hi Mikey.
    There are lots of books to recommend.
    One I have recently acquired is "Lawns into Lunch" by Jill Finnane.
    Jill was the guest speaker at the April Permaculture North meeting in Sydney.
    Why I recommend her book to you is her focus is mostly small suburban and urban gardens (and even balconies).
    No point planning projects that you haven't got the room for.

Another author that has oft been recommended on this site is Jackie French.

Check out the Green Harvest website - they stock lots of books and are easy to deal with.

Good luck - we all enjoy reading progress reports on what other people are doing - sharing the happy little accidents and sad little failures.

5. Mikey

Mikey Junior Member

thanks

:D cheers folks for all your info...time to get looking...will keep you posted..

6. caldera

caldera Junior Member

7. blinkblink

blinkblink Junior Member

"The Permaculture Home Garden" by Linda Woodrow is an excellent and entertaining book on setting up a home vegie garden.

8. juhill

juhill Junior Member

Don't jump in too fast, take time to learn about the block.
    I live in SEQld but the weather in one area can be so different from another even a few hundred metres apart, it can be a totally different world.
    Things like when it rains does the soil drain freely or stay wet like a sponge? Does it get frost? even in sunny Qld there are frost pockets. Shadows from neighbours trees. These are just a few.
    Get hold of some books from the library, read all you can.
    Otherwise "HAPPY GARDENING"
    Bye

9. Mikey

Mikey Junior Member

:D thanks for the reality check juhill. Yep I think its a wise idea to get a feel of our new place, see what the seasons bring and esp what the rainfall is like - esp since we are on tanks..back to the books for now..cheers juhill

10. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Mikey,

Don't forget your local library. They should have all sorts there including books, ag-notes, videos, dvds and a stockpile of magazines which are always fun to read.

I live in Arnhem Land and our local library has all of the above.

Cheers

floot

11. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

Hi Mikey,

I live on the Sunshine Coast and moved onto a 2.25 acre organic/permaculture paradise last year. There are plenty of p/c contacts on the sunny coast if you live within striking distance.
    Permaculture Noosa
    Permaculture Maroochydore (Yandina)
    Chevallum Organic and Permaculture garden group
    Crystal Waters Permaculture Village

Lots of suppliers of permaculture materials and BFA products on the coast too.

Strongly suggest visiting the Nambour Home & Garden Expo in early July. Will have big organic/permaculture presence. Come and visit and say hi!

In the meantime, if you would like any contact or meeting details of these groups, let me know... [email protected]

You are lucky to live near some really good resources!

Cheers,

:p

12. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I think I accidentally "ignored" Mikey. I really want to know what he says. Murray! Help!

13. Mikey

Mikey Junior Member

:) Thanks for the info Sonya..the expo sounds well worth the look - it's in the diary!

14. AZtommyB

AZtommyB New Member

15. Mikey

Mikey Junior Member

:) cheers for that AZtommyb! Ideas are starting to take shape....

16. hugh

hugh Junior Member

Question about permaculture

Excuse my ignorance but the first thing i see about permaculture's way of growing plants, that is it is really close to each other....in terms of productivity and competition, how effective is this type of planting arrangement? And if this is the perfered choice, what is the reason for this?

any one?

thanks in advace.
    Hugh

17. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hi Mikey Wellcome to Our Board

IF i had only a few ideas Id Do again what I did 17 yrs ago...

One Id read everybook On Permaculture i could find....eg Intro to Permaculture Bill Mollison

followed by Organic Gardning ....Peter Bennett

Permaculture Plants a selection Jeff Nugent....who actually posts here well used to..

Natural Gardening and Farming in Australia ....Jeffrey Hodges...

After/as well keep comming in here youll get more help

Keep at it

Tezza

18. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hi Hugh Hi Hugh Its of to work we go....... :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry couldnt resist that bit 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

One reason i can explain close cropping is to suggest that ......With our intensive gardening patterns and non commercial concepts allow us?me at least...To fit more plants in same spacs,maybe even mixed varieties instead of mono crops(single)..

Another reason I can explain is, if doing gardening using Bills methods ..Allowing plants to go to sead allows natural selection with only hardy seads will be viable,these seeds germinate where they want mostly not were we want them ...(unless we sow them ourselves.)Another reason to allow bunches of sedlings or close planted plants is to allow them to interact with each other a sort of Happy Commune of plants all helping one another a guild
    maybe....Close clumping can also help smaller seedlings survive those very early days of life......In my Area West Oz we suffer a fair few frosts and I beleive that plant groupings actually help each other keep warmer when its cold and cooler when its hot..

When i first got into Permaculture I didnt hav a clue what do do no prev experienc for me Actually i hated gardening ,untill i saw the light :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

I am so glad I found Permaculture firstly, its so much easier then Conventional er the other gardening way should i say........Permaculture is so easy, even I made a succsess of it .....

My first suggestion is for you to ignore That other type of agriculture and start of With Permie ideas....Using the other skills just as a back up...
    Read every book on Alternative gardens will help......Asking for help in here will help too

I didnt even now what carrots looked liked as seedlings wen i started off..

I was a Permaculture Dummy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tezza

19. Mikey

Mikey Junior Member

thanks for your kind words and advice Tezza. The library beckons! :lol:

You sure have evolved your green thumb eh?

20. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Mikey

There's an organic gardening course being run down your way in August. I did this course in April and found it full of great info and very inspiring!

I don't have dates etc, but if you ask Sonya she will be able to tell you (it's run at her place).

Good luck with it all mate!

:)