A nest of antechinus

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by annette, Jan 18, 2012.

1. annette

annette Junior Member

I just found a nest of antechinus in a chest of drawers. Does anyone have any experience or know how I should relocate them back to the bush? Or should i just leave them until they go? :sweat: I don't want to hurt them and they are a protected species. They kill mice and cockroaches around the place so they are good to have around.

Nothing much phases me, but I have to admit i am a woos when it comes to small furry things that run around. Would rather have a spider or snake, that would be easy.

2. annette

annette Junior Member

Update. I dragged the drawers outside and opened the top draw. Got a very long stick and had a poke around. Looks like the babies have gone. On a brighter note I found my missing tie for my favourite top, some hair ties a hanky and some other bits and pieces. Seems like they like to have a colourful nest!

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    I trust you feel privileged to have been host the the little buggers for a short while - they are very nice little fellas but do look alot like a mouse for some people.

4. annette

annette Junior Member

Yes I do purple. They are nearly extinct in urban areas because of cats and loss of habitat so glad they have a safe haven here. I have been watched one run around here for ages and did my research. It always stops at the top of the stairs and looks at me for a while before it takes off. They differ from mice in the fact also that they jump like a kangaroo and would put speedy gonzales to shame in the speed stakes. The nest was mostly gum leaves with pretty bits and pieces.