A low growing Green Manure?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by PDB, Dec 3, 2007.

1. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Can anyone recommend a low growing Green Manure? I would like to grow it around my pool as the ground there isnt realy used.
    Thanks
    Paul in Brisbane
    Ps does it mater how many quetions I ask will people say if to many? :?

2. DJ-Studd

DJ-Studd Junior Member

Hi Paul,
    the more questions, the more knowledge is shared :)

3. Fathom

Fathom Junior Member

Clover might work, it depends on what type of water you have in your pool, ie: salt, chlorine.....

4. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Thanks. The pool is chlorine. At the moment just grass is growing there so would be good to smother it.
    Paul

5. PDB

PDB Junior Member

What about cowpea how tall doe's it get?

6. ppp

ppp Junior Member

my cowpea which I have grown amongst corn is around 400-600mm tall SO FAR.....
    (may not be "low growing")

7. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Thanks PPP.
    I am thinking I don't want to dig in the Green Manure just cut it and use or feed it to the chickens. As long as it doesn't get taller than the pool (1200mm) hmmm??

8. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Green manure plants can be cut/slashed at any hight..apart from some that require going to seed after certain hights have been reached....

Tezza

9. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Thanks Tezza
    Any recommendations?

10. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

pees of the top of my head..

why do u need to nitro up the ground around the pool?

Tezza

11. PDB

PDB Junior Member

No I don't need to nitro up the ground around the pool I just want to use the area. So I thought grow somthing to cut down and put on the garden and to make better use of the space?
    Thanks
    Paul

12. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    I know permies are often agin grass lawns, but if you have a lawn mower grass clippings are a very easy and useful resource for building compost and/or mulching.

13. PDB

PDB Junior Member

Thanks pebble
    I like my lawn as we have two boys so we have somwere to play. I can't get the mower in the pool area as the deck is in the way. At the moment I brush cut the grass and put that in with the chickens.So thought somthing faster growing and full of goodness. I should post some pics if I could figure out how to do it. Would be good to get feed back.
    Paul :D

14. rhancock

rhancock Junior Member

What about growing something productive like sweet potato. Or Peanuts? It sounds like it'd be easier if you didn't have to cut it at all.

15. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Providing there's decent sun exposure and you're not very limited in your watering, I'd be inclined to go for a nice little guild...something like golden purslane (exceptionally nutritious chook and human food - stems, leaves and the abundant seeds), lucerne (mulch and fodder mostly but has other uses), maybe some buckwheat and cosmos (beneficial bug habitat and attractive plants in their own right, plus buckwheat has edible functions), and sow some unstaked tom thumb tomatoes (chook and human food) in there as well to run wild over everything else and provide another layer.

Lucerne is a 'just keep cutting' leguminous perennial (make sure you don't get an annual lucerne like barrel medic if you want year-round mulch), the rest will happily self-sow and do well together. Whichever of the above you want more of, then encourage that in your initial planting and by thinning further down the track.

If you have 1.2m to play with on the edge of the pool, maybe include a single trellis of a perennial bean like madagascar or winged beans (if you don't get frost) or any from the wide range of annual beans as a nice nitrogen fixing backdrop to the whole lot and a good use of vertical space (again, providing it will get enough sun).

FWIW PDB (and anyone else who is asking for advice), it's harder to offer good advice if you don't provide some description of important factors like sun and wind exposure, area, soil type, water availability etc. The more detail you can provide, the more likelihood someone will reply and can give worthwhile suggestions.

Good luck with the planting. :)

16. PDB

PDB Junior Member

WOW!! Thanks every one thats realy good, I will track down some seeds and get that going.
    Thanks again Paul :D