A good organic pest and disease book? - Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by vix, Jan 19, 2004.

1. vix

vix Junior Member

I want to get a really good p+d identification book to use in an organic nursery where I sometimes work in Fremantle. Most books are poison based which doesn't help. Ideally it would have good pictures too, but we can generally sus out what the problem is from other p+d books and could then look it up in an organic one.
    Any suggestions of books that are still available would be much appreciated.
    tia

2. muttabuttasaurus

muttabuttasaurus Junior Member

My wife is always pulling out "Organic Plant Protection" edited by Roger B Yepsen Jr., published by Rodale Press in 1976, ISBN#0-87857-110-8. It is of course written for North America, but probably is largely relevant in Australia too. Has quite a lot of drawings and some photo's. Probably has been updated since 1976 too, though our copy is the 1976 edition.

3. alextacy

alextacy Junior Member

The Organic Garden Doctor, by Jackie French is a great book. This was published a while ago, and I think it has been updated and republished under a new, but similar title.

If you search for Jackie French's website, you'll find a list of her published books. Most of her books cover some organic pest control and pest id methods, but there are a couple that are specificly about pests.

The books seem to be very much permaculture style gardening, but without the use of the permaculture term. Best of all they contain Australian relevant info.

Cheers

A

4. GUS

GUS Guest

I have a great book called "What Pest or Disease is That? "
    by Judy McMaugh. Australian publication. 312 pages.
    Each pest and disease are listed alphabetically and fully illustrated with both chemical and organic control. Does have some info on plant care, soil conditions etc.
    Unfortunately is a bit pricey unless you can get a cheap copy from somewhere.

Gus.