A.B's Plot

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Australian Beekeeper, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

Very nice :) Do your girls cover up the inspection panel? I really want them to work but mine covered them up. Would love some tips. Out of interest where are the vents in the hive?

My hives are currently doubled up pallet wood with aluminium separators (cut from old signs). I just use an oath but with a tropical lid and no 'honey super'. I lost a few this year, mostly because of the move and having to live where we did during the last stages of the house build :( I really should have spent more time locating hives properly, nobody to blame but myself. The hives that have been moved over to the new house I have made foam covers for because of the lack of shade, something I have t done before. So far so good but next summer will be the test.

I have tried to get on ANBees before but couldn't figure the whole yahoo groups thing out. Need to go back for another look!

If you are ever down this way come around for a beverage and tour (of a very immature system).

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    A.B. an easy shade cover is to put a few bricks on top of the hive and then put a chunk of plywood over it to cast some shade, then a few more bricks to hold it down. the air space between the top of the hive and the plywood is needed. if you have the hives protected from strong winds this will do, if you have higher winds use more bricks. :)

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

There is one at the top and one at the bottom. I need to put holes in the plexi at the top to allow the top ventilation to work.

They are slowing blocking the panel, the light that enters through the vent hole is completely blocked. The black rubber/plastic foam strip helps cut down on any incidental light on the panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Australian Beekeeper

Very nifty little hive design. Thanks for sharing the pics. The entrance in particular is an interesting idea. As you no doubt know.the natives always build a tube on the inside of the hive for hive defence. Usually it goes up the front wall in my hives to about where the split is and then opens up into the hive. That works great but then of coarse when you split one of the daughter hives is temporarily without that defence.

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

From what I understand, the hockingsii often make a longer straighter tube than compared to carbonaria. The theory behind this method is to force them to defend a longer straighter passage and to allow more warning of intruders incoming. I suppose if one could look inside, there would possiblly be a right-angled turn at the end of the tunnel where the resin would be kept.

Over the top of the hive I have a cut-up and taped polystyrene box.

6. Australian Beekeeper

I haven't had a proper look inside the hockingsi Tim gave me other than to confirm it was hockingsi but will check that out next time I am in there and get some pics :)

The carbonaria (all my hives except that one from Tim) are the ones that I have observed building their tunnel vertically up the inside front of the box every time without fail. Often time I even cut through the tunnel when splitting the box. Ingenious little girls haha

7. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Stems from some photos on ANBees. One guy built entrances against the inspection panel for photos, and took photos of removals inside water meters. Hockingsi tend to make the longer tunnels, the Carbonaria (against the panel) branched into different directions quite quickly.

The forcing of the tunnel is a Brasilian technique to aid in early defence during splitting or new hives. I can see the theory in it which is why I will use bamboo as the material.

8. Australian Beekeeper

Yeah it makes perfect sense. I am going to try that now. I'll just put a small extra piece of wood attached to the inside bottom so I can drill a longer entrance hole through. Thanks for the idea!

9. Australian Beekeeper

Oh sorry Songbird, just saw your reply! Our native hives are quite small and light (comparatively) which may make this difficult. The footprint is only just larger than that of a single brick. I do like your thinking though.

10. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Try adding a "dry split separator" to your boxes. Not so messy, cuts down on the spilt pots and maybe even damage to the entrance tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu_2hzBt_SU

I think Bob may be getting them laser cut in sheets of stainless steel now, or at least testing them like that.

11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    ah, ok, i was thinking you were talking about the large box hives. might be able to rig up some kind of shade though, but if they are natives perhaps they'll not be bothered... i'm not familiar with the natives of Aus... the natives here have a vast array of hive types. i'm always glad to see them on the flowers. :)

12. Australian Beekeeper

Yeah it is counter intuitive. Honeybees here I keep in full sun but the natives need shade/insulation! They European honeybees are extremely good at controlling hive temperatures and here that means cooling the hive by using their wings to force air through the hive. Natives are just not as good at that.

13. Australian Beekeeper

Things are moving along here.
    vege beds have started
    [​IMG]

Fruit trees down the side planted into area where I placed and then mulched composted horse manure a few months back. These are going well and have been in about 6 weeks. Apples, pomegranate, citrus, bananas, paw paw and strawberry guava.
    [​IMG]
    Flowering
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Knew frame feeder I am mucking around with. It works. Will now modify to take three jars. Waaaaay better than traditional frame feeders and external feeders but a little more time consuming.
    [​IMG]

silly pup annoyed the bees one to many times. Beetox!
    [​IMG]

These guys are growing around the yard and I love them. Weed, desirable or better still native?
    [​IMG]

All for now. Need to get some shots of the down hill berm and plantings.

14. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Don't know the name of the last one but I see it around in compacted, dry areas. Maybe change it out for Pig Face cuttings (unless it's in your garden beds).

Pigweed tends to hang out around in similar areas and is a tasty weed, the leaves go in salads.

Make sure you knock off all the fruit that forms on your Citrus, they still look too small and growing the fruit can slow down the getting established part of growth.

What's your plan where the grass and Wattles are? Seems like a good spot to grow some biomass while you are focussing on the other areas. Cajanus would do well there, direct-seeded, and the native bees enjoy the late Autumn/Winter feed (Euros not so much).

15. Australian Beekeeper

I actually thought it might be related to pig face. My partner loves pig face so definitely on the cards!

Plan for that back area is more veg area Behind and to the right of the current beds, a workshop at the back with an attached nursery/shade house on the downhill side and a chook run along the uphill fence (to the right). Other than the chooks it won't be for a while though so keen to get the soil working, particularly in the position of future vege beds. Had been thinking pigeon pea and broad beans with pumpkins or something but will now look into cajanus. I'll be honest I have no idea what they are :) cheers S.O.P

P.s. All fruit will be knocked off. I leave the flowers for the bees (knowing full well they are a drop in the ocean haha). Cheers

16. Australian Beekeeper

Just googled, Oh cajanus is pigeon pea.... :) bag of seed ready!

17. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Throw in Egyptian Spinach too before the Pumpkin. Tough little plant. Some perennial Greek Basil cuttings about the place, you watch the bees go crazy. Sweet potato? Lab lab?

18. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    the last one looks like a moss rose type plant. we have some of the decorative types wandering around at times here and then there is the purslane type which is edible and quite useful as a cover crop, but hard to get rid of once you get it going. those seeds are tiny!

19. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Looking fantastic AB! Very nice work :y:

20. Australian Beekeeper

Planting peas and beans around my roadside tree line (oldest work done, just under a year). Worms everywhere (relatively new) and soil is looking great under the trees! Pigeon pea isn't going great guns with the cold but I have this legume everywhere. Anybody know what it is?

[​IMG]

I was recently given a trailer. Then I was given a tray and new wheels and guards to fix it up. Not something I asked for but will sure put it to good use. Will be my bee trailer but will also make it work as a camper ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gardens producing
    [​IMG]

Playing around with logo for my website (just a place where I share bee related stuff). Thoughts?
    [​IMG]