A.B's Plot

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Australian Beekeeper, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

100 delivered express from a gentleman named Peter. Found him selling smaller amounts on eBay and talking to him it sounds like he does the propagation himself though you never know. Don't know about the price but hopefully only have to buy it once! Any tips for propagation? I'll have another look through your thread for hints ;)

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

You mean I can make money on EBay selling Vetiver slips? What a world we live in. I can't sell tubes of native stock for a dollar but people are happy to pay $2.75 from a nursery for rootbound stock.

Anyway, guesstimate how much you need in metres, multiply that by 10. That helps work out how many clumps you need. Each clump averages about 15-20+, some more, never really less. Find the wettest, most nutrient-laden spot you have. Put them in at 50cm centres, mark 4 months then dig them up. It helps to water and nutrient but it doesn't matter if you can't. While they are growing, trim them at 40cm each month (this forces multiplication). then cut them down to 20cm, divide them into groups if 1, 2 or 3 and cut the roots to 5cm. Soak in aerated water [or changed) and plant out when you see new roots forming. Plant out in a furrow at 10cm centres. Doesn't matter if off-contour, it will fix itself over time.

3. Australian Beekeeper

Thanks S.O.P. That will get me started!
    I was surprised as you are about the eBay. Hadn't had replies to emails elsewhere (understandable at this time of year) and had a look on the off chance. Contacted him away from the auction site of course but certainly worked to help me find him. Was I ripped off? Maybe get your natives up there :p

Out of interest what do you do with the propagated natives? Do you have a business or just a hobby? Would love to see what you offer.

4. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Were you ripped off? I don't know what price you paid. For reference and my memory is completely hazy, that third-world propagation will go for a 12-20c per tiller. Green Harvest sell 5 for $20 plus postage.

Someone in their backyard, depending on what stage of rooting or potted or bareroot, it could range from 50c to $2. If I dug up a small clump, $5 is what I would ask which brings it in under 50c (and I've never asked so that's guessing).

I mainly sow seeds of a plant that I like (or need/want) and then do a tray or 2 of 80/160. The only plant I concentrate on is Lomandra hystrix for erosion purposes. I call it my 50/50 rule, over 50% sun is Vetiver for erosion control and under is Lomandra. Lomandra can move up into the 100% but unless you are dealing with nativists, Vetiver is a way better choice as a pioneer then trees/other grasses can move in afterwards.

It's not a business, I usually give away a lot but if I ever become unemployed, I'd like to do it on the side.

At the moment, I probably have just over 1000 Lomandra, 160 Passionfruit, 180 Acacia fimbriata, 30 Albizia, 30 Dombeya, 60 Cordyline rubra (all in tubes), and a few scattered Inga, Buckinghamia, Syzygium, and 15 Xanthostomen (Golden Penda) in different size pots. Waiting on a tray of Allocasuarina to grow (got buried into by a cane toad and ruined) and a tray of Syzygium luehmannii that sowed in fruit (haven't done the lazy way before). And about 60 slips soaking in a bathtub. Most go out to the block, just got back from planting a Blackbean, Pomegranate, Sugar Cane and the wife got in and helped on about 150-200 Vetiver slips.

I'll give away some Xanthostomen if you are ever up this way. I can't use them as they aren't frost-hardy and the house here can't fit another tree. It's a good street tree, small N.QLD rainforest native that makes good bee and bird forage.

5. Australian Beekeeper

That's okish, it was 30 plants for $100 delivered. Will have to see what they look like when they get here.

Very impressive work with all the propagating and some great species in that mix. I know the golden penda, my parents street is lined with them. They all flower at once here and geez do they look good when they do! If you need any more black bean there are always seedlings under the 2 trees here and a whole lot of this years pods coming on fast at the moment. They are big trees.

6. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Postage would suck for a package that size. I looked at Ebay and it looks like prop is in 4-inch squares and he knocks the soil off for postage. Still, reasonably greedy but that's the way of the world.

I would have given you a clump for free, you realise that right? You could have made it to the Sunshine Coast for under $100 and you could have got a tour and a couple of clumps and all the Jaboticaba you can eat. Have I rubbed it in enough?

OK on the Blackbean, only need 1 or 2 trees and I have one here in Brisbane shading the chicken house.

Let us know how you go.

7. Australian Beekeeper

Haha rubbed in enough! Tour would have been great. Didn't want to put you out and wasn't sure if the offer was only a last resort if I couldn't find any, wrongly interpreted a post. Next time I will know!

Are you a wine drinker? Ever thought about using your jabotocaba to make wine? I have seen it used in port before and I am sure it could be made into a nice wine.

Will let you know how the vetiver goes. Excited to see how it works here.

8. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

I word my offers that way to discourage people driving huge amounts for a few plants. Energy auditing we can call it. But I don't want to see people losing money for something that grows as fast as a weed.

I do like a wine, the neighbour makes jelly and another makes jam. I'd have to be there every day to gather the fruit as the lorikeets can decimate a crop quickly and they ripen in waves. Until then I gorge when I can. One day...

9. Australian Beekeeper

Will remember for next time S.O.P!

Well fence wires all strained, came up really nice. I got a good work out tying all the wire knots as I used 4mm support wire.. It was free :)

Some piece of excretement stole the roll of fence wire I had too so that sucked. Another sourced and will put it on tomorrow.

Vetiver arrived and planted :) few extra plants in the package which was nice

10. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

So sorry to hear about the thieves AB, thats harsh. Fencing is so dear these days as well! Sounds like the balls rolling though and looking forward to more pics :y:

11. Australian Beekeeper

Fence finished :)

[​IMG]

12. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Is that white stuff your soil!??? thank Your favourite Deity that you have the good sense to poo on it!!!!!

13. Australian Beekeeper

Haha no deities around here.

Haha sure does need some organic matter! Hard to do that kind of work until the builders leave though :( That pic is a little deceiving as it is mostly silt washed down from cut land uphill from me. Here is the same angle in a pic this morning.

[​IMG]

next thing to do is build the chook pen. I am currently raising 2 speckled Sussex and 2 Plymouth rock chicks that will be big enough for the pens by the time we move in.

14. Australian Beekeeper

Lots of time on holidays so making some stuff for the house. Here's a side/coffee table I made yesterday afternoon. I made it using a pallet and incorperated one of our boundary peg stakes (I blacked out the lot number - this is the internet). Going to finish it with tea and then a vinegar/steel wool stain to make it look all rustic like. Will put up a pic when it is finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Looks like things are starting to grow a bit there, nice one! Nice looking table too :y:

16. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    at first i thought the blacked out spot was a hole through like a handle that is in the side of some boxes. : )

17. Australian Beekeeper

Thanks all. Finished the table. Stained with black tea and then the old steel wool/vinegar mix before adding a satin clear coat.

[​IMG]

Honey bees are pulling in a lot at the moment and numbers are booming! Here is a strong hive bearding last night. A product of warm nights and large colony numbers.

[​IMG]

And some hungry foreigners hoping for drop offs.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    the opportunistic critter picture is wonderful, what are they? they're huge!

nice table. : )

19. Australian Beekeeper

Cheers :)
    they are cane toads, an introduced species that people here love to hate and talk about as an ecological disaster. Don't get me wrong, they are not good, but with my background (ecology/zoology) I hate cats a great deal more than these guys (who so far are responsible for zero extinctions).

Went out out to bookfest yesterday (huge second hand book sale) and picked up a copy of permaculture one in great condition for $5! Looking forward to reading through it. Back to work tomorrow so will slow down here for a little.

20. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Great fence! Are you going to plant climbers to grow up though it?
    Your table looks really good but....why did you use that written on bit of board, is there some particular significance to it?