A.B's Plot

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Australian Beekeeper, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Gonhar

Gonhar Junior Member

2. Australian Beekeeper

Australian Beekeeper Junior Member

Thank you very much for the info and link Gonhar. I will look into them. I actually have Atherton raspberries here that would also work.

I talked to both council and plumber today. Council said my ideas of above surface irrigation was sound but that while the area was being developed it wasn't going to happen - The head plumber was very supported and said that if I was serious it was definitely something to come back to later...

Plumber said chickens and bees on the area are a no go (the drain lines are remarkably shallow). On the plus he said that growing mulching crops is ok and that the line drippers each have a filter that acts as a root retardant. Not sure how this works but at least I can use the area for something. I'll also use it as an excuse to keep some open area (future kids can kick a ball there etc).

3. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    strawberries are also shallow rooted enough and will work in rotation with other plants.

4. Australian Beekeeper

Cheers for the suggestions guys. Looking into all of them. Recently made a two wire trellis on the inside of the back fence and planted some grapes (3 table and 2 wine) and passionfruit (3 plants 2 varieties). Sure they will grow on to the other side of the fence as well but that is the southern side and I'll trim them back onto the wires each year.

[​IMG]

5. Australian Beekeeper

Couple of soft splits ready to come off... hopefully :)
    The one on the left is on the front of one of my old mans and pops old style hives. Basically a log ground out inside and cut into segments that sit on top of each other with a solid bottom and top.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Australian Beekeeper

House is going up. Roof is on, doors and windows are in and plumbing is done (except for the tanks).

Also picked up 32 fertilized barred plymouth rock eggs. They go in the incubator tonight :) I only want 5 or so hens so will have some spares assuming the hatching goes ok.

7. Australian Beekeeper

Dug mini swales for the top sids of the block and mulched over. These are not a serious effort at swales as this area will eventually be chickens and vege gardens below that but for now is slowing the water from the neighbour above me and collecting his topsoil.

[​IMG]

Slowly shovelling soil removed for the tanks. Thinking of hiring a bobcat as it is a LOT of dirt (friend can drive it). This is the soil that will become the berm/swale along the bottome side of the block where most of the fruit trees will grow.

[​IMG]

House is just a normal house. But is closer to being finished which is exciting.

[​IMG]

8. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Heaps of progress there AB, must feel great to see the house going up :y:

9. Australian Beekeeper

Cheers Chookie! Very excited. Started the front/side fence :) Should keep the dog in and the kangaroos out! [​IMG]

10. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Thats brilliant, nice sized block as well. That verge looks good for a few veggie gardens too ;) heheh

11. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Looks like you are going to get some good regen on those Acacia root suckers. Developer must have missed a few.

Our corner used to look like that and if you saw the Google Street View of my place, a few years and you won't be able to see your house.

12. Australian Beekeeper

Cheers Chookie :) Verge planting definitely on the cards if I run out of room (and when the developer moves on).

Thanks SOP. Good to hear it won't take that long, can't wait for the trees to hide the house :)

Yeah Acacia are coming along :) They are seedlings though I think. You pull them up and they have a seedling root like an acacia carrot. I will definitely be leaving a few in the food forest areas.

Our block was the only one cleared of trees because it was built up slightly with compacted fill. It was cheaper because of this but I reckon it is the best on the street for position and was a blank slate. Bush on both sides across the road. The bush is a thick acacia and small gum understory with large gums overhead and a creek through the middle. It is listed as reserve so is safe (at least for now..). Perfect forage for native bees when my trees don't offer enough ;)

13. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Oh, and instead of digging swales, plant Vetiver in there. Will cut down on wind for your chickens, will slow water and collect the topsoil/silt and then you can cut the tops for bedding and run material for your chickens 3 times per year. Throw it down, let the chickens compost it and take it out.

14. Australian Beekeeper

where can I find some vetiver? Need to get my propagation underway anyway as I am also going to use it on the hstp leach field. The vetiver "barrier/catchment" is something I can do immediately while they are still building :)

15. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

*crickets*

If you can't find any, I can offer you some. But, of course, we live technically on the other side of the city from each other, more than an hour apart I'd say. I've posted small amounts before but that's not much to get you started.

You ever on the north side for any reason?

16. Australian Beekeeper

Hmmm I often am over that way and that is very kind of you. I will look around the nurseries here first though. Being such a useful plant I wondered if maybe there was a supplier/wholesaler as I imagine if I do find it in a nursery they would only have small amounts for lots of dollars.

If it comes to that I can buy it off you or fix you up with some honey or an empty hive to split your native hives into :)

17. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

No nursery would have it. If you could find one with it, that's a million-to-one.

Veticon, and Paul Troung the scientist that heads the Australian study arm is based in Ipswich from memory. They are a commercial supplier of Vetiver. But, again from memory, some forum posters contacted them and they only sell large quantities but worth trying.

https://www.veticon.com.au/index.htm

I got my Vetiver from another poster on these forums, who bought 5 slips for $20 from Green Harvest. I've propagated hundreds from that but it takes a lot of time (I've been at it 3 years). And space, and nutrient, and water to get nice propagation material.

4 clumps at about 5 months growth here. Average water as I throw buckets on to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Australian Beekeeper

Cheers for the info S.O.P. Emails sent so hopefully get some replies when they are back.

Productive few days!
    Fence top bars done. On to the wire. My dad is the guy in the shot (and helper/chainsaw owner). 6'2'' for scale. My grandfather gave me his old stihl saw today so bee cut outs and the gate/driveway fence to be done after the build will be a lot easier for me to do.
    [​IMG]

Also prepped 2 hives and set up two new soft splits/eductions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also planted a few Christmas presents. An A16 macadamia, red shahtoot mulberry and another carambola (giant Siam).

19. Australian Beekeeper

Main/support wires done and 30 vetiver slips on their way :)

20. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Sweet. Do tell. How much and where from?

For the folks reading, 30 plants buys you 3m of hedge. Time to get propagating, 4 months will get you some Autumn plants that should get established bare root if the soil moisture is there