85 of them - 3.5. Bn of us

Discussion in 'General chat' started by kimbo.parker, Jan 20, 2014.

1. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

eighty-five people control the same amount of wealth as half the world's population. That is 85 people compared with 3.5 billion.

article in Sydney Morning Herald

it begs the question - why don't we just beat them up?, pull down their pants and leave them tied to a tree?......
    it works!
    i lost my lunch money too many times that way.

k

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I've been dealing with my own personal version of something like this ... Power, domination, submission & helplessness are strange dynamics. All is not as it appears to be.
    It seems the Golden Rule is: He who has the gold makes the rules.
    I have no idea why those of us dispossessed of our right to have a say about who has the gold & who makes the rules don't band together & beat them up ... I mean debate the issue :) Probably because we can't even agree about which races religions or cultures we reckon are OK to live with, nor if it's OK to exact murderous revenge for painful injuries on cunning old ewes & brain dead wethers, let alone get our crap together enough to plot overthrowing 85 of the most powerful people on the planet. And none of us could find a spare 5 minutes in between milking cows, shearing sheep, keeping the bloody chooks out of the veggie garden, keeping the kelpie from doing that kelpie shit (thanks KP. I love that!) to the chooks again, keeping the mulch up to the garden, running up & down to the bore pump when things in the garden look like they're going to collapse, hoeing thistles, pulling lantana & saying gidday on the pc forum. Nor the money for petrol to make a special trip to their house to beat them up. sigh. Poverty takes a lot of hard work & doesn't leave one bristling for a fight at the end of a hard day. I'm always just grateful for a cold drink, hot tucker & bed : /

3. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Well that is easy. Just space ship those 85 people to the moon, or something.

4. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Good thinking.
    That'll help the energy crisis & the pollution crisis :) ;) :)
    And start a war on the forum about if it's OK to meter out cruel & unusual punishment to humans if they're ar$eholes :)
    How about we humanely euthanise them with chemicals that don't pollute the ground & then compost them?

No. Not really ...

5. Terra

Terra Moderator

They can have their wealth , be nice if they built something with it before they cark it , like a Hospital or a Dam something that benefits 1000s they cant take it with them . And if they eat enough toxic waste ridden Tings they might even hurry up the process .

Im very pleased I only lost a couple of plants in our heatwave , I have 11 chickens , havnt murdered any sheep im feeling pretty rich.

All we have to do is find a way to "Stay in the Game"

6. Rick Larson

The problem is their accumulated wealth. Its the wealth that needs to disappear. If you want to limit the economy to the ecology, that is...

So what do you attribute is why your plants are making it? According to the PDC, the POM who taught me said Leghorn chickens can handle the hottest temps. Methinks he said 122F. Yep, just stay in the game...

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You point them out to me Kimbo and I'll dack them for you… or unclip their bra strap. I never got to be the kid that did that at school and I think it's time to play catch up.

8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i must be the only person here who thinks of how much those 85 people could do for the world's ecosystems if they could be nudged towards permie ideas...

i'm still a firm believer in personal property rights and stuff like that. as much as my ecology side would wish that each person be required to treat the world and the various critters with respect there's this other side of me that does wish for people to be allowed to be creative and expressive and sometimes that means destruction.

then there is this other part that says that perhaps we need a large playland of destructo where we can go, make big messes and still not take out the primary life support systems. Mars? perhaps...

i've never been envious of those with wealth, nor wished them ill because of it. even the robber barons all end up dead in time. that wealth will eventually be dispersed or reformed. very few wealthy individuals have children who have a clue what to do with the money and often squander it. seems sorta related to the problem of all the permie folks who have children who don't value their permieparentspads...

9. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I'm not too worried about the 1%. When/if the time comes, their money will be just as worthless as mine. A large economic crisis might be a good equalizer, maybe Holmgren was on to something...

10. Rick Larson

Good point.

11. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

It feels good to be grateful for small mercies I reckon :) I feel pretty rich too - most days I wouldn't call the king my uncle :)
    And yeah - where there's life there's hope. One foot in front of the other & round the grind stone goes :)

12. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

And your reckon *I'm bad*??? lol :) ;) :)

13. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

most days I wouldn't call the king my uncle

I haven't heard this expression! I don't get it... Yeah, I'm one of those people who have to have jokes explained to them. Please explain. See, I provided 'jury rig' now it's your turn. :D

I was talking to my Nanna just now on the phone; she's in her late 80's and steaming along. I love talking to her, she uses all those fine expressions like 'hooey' and those South Oz classics, 'more front than John Martins', and when you turn up at her house and ask what she's doing, 'riding a bike down Rundle Street, what does it look like?' Sorry tangents and all that...:)

14. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I hate to rain on your parade here, but nobody who has excessive wealth is going to be nudged towards permie ideas. (Bludgeoned maybe - hence kp's suggestion of beating them up - but sadly, not nudged.) The mind set required to accumulate enormous amounts of money is a couple of dozen paradigm shifts from the crowd that spouts "Earth Care, People Care, Fair Share" while tinkling their wind chimes & dabbing a bit of patchouli on their pulse points. It is simply not going to happen. Best you could hope for is some sizeable donations to write off against their tax while looking like a hip philanthropist on the front page of the paper.

15. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Well ... if you were a poor person you'd be very glad to call the king your uncle ... you know, in the hope of a bit of frith kicking in & getting a leg up :)
    But if you are wealthy enough to snub the king, you must be a very wealthy person indeed.
    I've only heard it used - & I only use it in the way I did above. To describe a poor person who has assets that they place the value of far & away above money. Someone who has a full larder & garden & fresh air & no master. That kind of thing :)
    In my over active imagination I like to think it originated with someone like Robin Hood & his Merry Men, laughing & feasting in Sherwood Forrest, & one of them would have stopped & gazed over his hunk of roast venison (or his lentil burger if you prefer ;) ) & said "You know what? I wouldn't call the King my bleedin' uncle!" :) :) :)

16. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Excellent explanation and no wikipedia - 10 points. :clap::D

17. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

One other one I love to use is "I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight?" And I say that when sitting down in my own humble, recycled, environmentally (almost) harmless house to a meal of my own pork or beef & vegetables & milk & cheese & fruit that I grew myself, after a day of hard yakka on my own land being my own boss.
    I'm poor, but if this is poor, who the hell & what the hell is rich? is the point of the expression - just in case I still hadn't explained it &/or you were going to ask :) :) :)

18. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I hadn't heard "More front than John Martins" before :)
    I say "More front than Myers" & I think I've heard "More front than David Jones" - so it must depend on which department store was king in the state you were raised :)

Are we recking another thread??? !!!
    OMG
    Oh well - it is in General Chat & it does say "Connecting with other people" up there too :) ;) :)

19. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I absolutely adore some of the expressions from the Deep South. Sometimes when I'm really depressed I google them & I swear to god they can make me laugh so hard I cry. That & Damn You Autocorrect :)
    One of my favourites is "God willing & the creek don't rise." Its origins become amazingly relevant & clear when you live in the mountains on a creek :) & I try to use the expression as often as I can without getting strange looks :) :) :)
    Can't think of any other hot favourites off the top of my head ... lots of the others are politically incorrect & bordering on rude ... so I won't go there. Leave that to kimbo ... :) ;) :)

20. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

" Lets rise up and kill the rich " This is an actual commercial here in America.
    [video=youtube_share;NLpUqFlEExk]https://youtu.be/NLpUqFlEExk[/video]