4 sale - brissy nth - chain saw

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by gardenlen, Nov 27, 2006.

1. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day friends,

we have for sale:

a shidaiwa 36cc 2 stroke chain saw with 14" bar will handle to 16" in its spec's.

the machine is 18 months old and in excellent condition.

we are asking $290, new they are around the $600+ mark.

offers will be considered

tia

len

2. gardenlen

here goes,

looking for ideas on where best we can feature this chain saw?

so far on all sites we have listed it there have been no enquiries.

tia

len

3. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Hi Len

One of your problems will be all the cheap chainsaws that are available these days. Of course these will not be close to the quality of yours, but a lot of people do not care about this, particularly if they are not going to use it that often. As an example, have a look at this saw https://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/silverstar-52cc-petrol-chainsaw-20-inch-bar/

I have a hedge trimmer in the same brand as your chainsaw, and it is a good brand. I don't know how long the chinese shit would last for or how safe it would be - but people go for it because they are so cheap for the size.

4. gardenlen

g'day veggie boy,

yep there's no accounting for taste i guess? guess at the moment it's not eating any chaff so we might have to bide our time or try more avenues.

unfortunately discounter machinery offers false economy in some cases for the person who just wants to impress then ok but they usually return what you pay for.

len

5. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Interesting to see the price difference in chainsaws between the US and Australia. I paid about US$300 6 months ago for a Stihl ms250 with an 18" bar. I think it is about 45cc or so, so it is a lot more saw for the money. In aussie dollars that would be about $380... A lot less than what Len paid for his Shindaiwa, which while a good brand wouldn't be any higher quality than Stihl I wouldn't have thought.
    Does shipping to Australia cost that much? Or does the government put lots of taxes on imports of things like chainsaws?

Len, maybe posting pictures would help?
    Arboristsite has a trading post, there are few Aussies on there that might be interested or have a tip for you.

6. gardenlen

g'day richard,

just how consumables are here in aus' not a big population so production is spread over lots of manufacturers, and the exchange rate of the dollar would also have an effect on imported machinery, which most of it is here.

would hazzard nowadays that shidaiwa may be slightly better machine than stihl, most who rely on their use i think nowadays prefer husquvarna.

len

7. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

I have worked with arborists as a ground man a fair bit in the last year or two, and have used a variety of Husky's and Stihl's. I don't understand the preference for Husqvarna, other than that they are a bit cheaper and you can get them from mailorder catalogs and big box stores rather than dealers, which is the only way you can buy a Stihl.
    My theory is that husky's are popular because they are popular, not because they are better...
    Husky's are fine, they work and everything, but I think Stihl's are more comfortable to use, less vibration, and my biggest thing is that the chain adjusters are in sensible places on the saw, unlike some models of huksy's which have the adjusters next to the bar which is just awkward! Of course, at then end of the day, a chainsaw is a chainsaw. :D (never used a shindaiwa saw... just a weedeater. excellent weedeater :D )

8. beherit

beherit Junior Member

have you tried listing it on ebay with an "or best offer" feature to see what people are willing to cough up for it?

if you're not familiar with this kind of sale, it has a locked in price which will immediately end the auction (for example $450) then the "or best offer" feature allows potential customers to make an offer of what they think its worth - if you like their lesser offer, sell it!

its a good way to tempt impulse buyers, and on the other side of the coin, it can (and has!) land the buyer a bargain if the seller was getting a bit desperate for a sale.

..one thing, if this is something you'd consider, bump up your fixed price to allow more room for counter offers and not risk selling yourself too short.

9. gardenlen

yeh e/bay is an option for sure, suppose we could put it like $250 buys it now or wait for offers mmm dunno.

anyhow it's in the melting pot.

ta

len