2 types of pumkin???

Discussion in 'General chat' started by gerrys backyard, Oct 4, 2008.

1. gerrys backyard

gerrys backyard New Member

Hey guys I am new to this my name is Gerry and I've started a vegie patch where my pool used to be I live in Nth Queensland in a little place called Calen. It is succeeding very well I have sweet corn, eggplant, cucumbers, thyme, basil, corriander, tomatos(roma and cherries), strawberries, butternut pumpkins,and kent pumpkins, also zucchini, squash and carrots(2nd harvest).
    Anyway my question is can a butternut pumpkin and a kent pumpkin cross pollinate, as I have kent pumpkins taking on the form of butternuts but still have the colour of the kent pumpkin. Is this possible and have I created a new pumkin.?????? gerry

2. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Re: 2 types of pumkin???

Well, I can't give you a knowledgeable answer, but I do know that a pumpkin and a cucumber looked as if they'd cross pollinated in my garden last year. I got a pumpkin shaped thing with skin like a cucumber. I never found out what it tasted like as the vine died in the drought, when I wasn't allowed to water it under water restrictions, and hadn't yet got my grey water organised.

PS Your garden sounds great!

3. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

this helps with pollination queries https://www.pumpkinnook.com/howto/pollen.htm

and your pumpkins can cross pollinate -

there's a site somewhere (in an old computers bookmarks) that lists the different types of "pumpkins" "squashes" cucurbits etc

problems with the site I've lost is it is american - and they sometimes call squashes what we might call pumpkins adnother strange things

4. gerrys backyard

gerrys backyard New Member

Thank-you

Thanks for that response, now I can't wait to see if these pumpkins that have cross-pollinated taste good if they do i will let you all know.

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yes cross pollination can occur, this of course is dependent on pollinators working the agrden, if you don't have any and do hand pollination then c/p is going to be less of an issue, but an issue all the same.

now cross pollination is only an issue if you want to save seeds, if not then it down't affect the fruit you will get. i only grow one variety of pumpkin for that reason, but then if another gardener near by grows another sort you could get crossed up seeds. some crossed fruit can be very edible but i've had some that are hardly suitable even for pumpkin soup, so quality can be in doubt.

len

6. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Your pumpkins can and do cross pollinate. In fact, they are one of the most difficult of all crops to keep pure.

Generally, though, you wont see much different in the fruit produced by the parent plant. Where you will see a hybrid or type developing is generally in the next generation. Maybe, a plant pathologist can correct me but if you have true seed then the offspring will represent the parent plant. For example, your jap or butternut will produce true looking type fruit.

Next time, however, is a genetic lottery. Nothing wrong with this at all it is called biodiversity and at a garden level can be a wonderful thing.

cheers,

7. elmejor

elmejor Junior Member

well, dont know much about it, but would love to know about the results of crss pollination. if possible post picture of the new breed. and do tell us about the taste!