12 crops traded on the stock market

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by Martin Bernal, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Martin Bernal

Martin Bernal New Member

Hello everyone. I took Geoff's PDC back in 2014 and I am currently going back through the course since I am now in a position to design and work property now.

Geoff said that there where 12 crops traded on the Stock Market, he listed Soy, Wheat, Corn Rice and Potatoes. What are the other 7?

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  3. Martin Bernal

Martin Bernal New Member

There is more than 12 in that list. and I was the user in the forum that asked the question.

4. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    "and I was the user in the forum that asked the question."

Ha!

5. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Crops are traded on the Commodities Exchange not the Stock Exchange. The top commodities that are crops are; Soy beans, Wheat, Rice, Corn, Sorghum, Sunflower seeds, Rye, Barley and Oats. Then there are the oil seeds of which Sunflower shows up a second time. All this is usually done through the Chicago Board of Trade not the NYSE and its similar entities. In soybeans for an example you have whole beans, meal, oil, lecithin, etc. The myriad of items traded as commodities contains everything food or edible either by humans or live stock. It is a market where you can win big or loose your shirt in ten minutes or less. I've played the commodities game from both sides of the mound (insider and outsider) it demands you to be really in touch with what people want to buy now, a week from now and then a month from now. Right now I would buy pork sides, BBQ season is coming on strong and folks will be upping the demand for meats to put on the grill grates. Closer to August, you watch winter wheat, oil seeds, and root crops (sweet potato, potato, squashes, etc. and then end of September it's cotton, corn, soybeans. The main rule for making money in commodities is to get it bought before the peak, then either sell at that peak or hold on to it for winter time selling. Eg, right now you would buy turkey futures in hopes of a home run around Thanksgiving and Christmas, miss the timing by one day and you can be a big looser.

Noosfera likes this.
  6. Noosfera

Noosfera New Member

Climate:
    Mediterranean
    I think these are the most importats
    Corn
    Wheat
    Oats
    Rice
    Soy
    Cocoa
    Coffee
    Sugar
    Rye
    Barley
    Orange Juice
    Bio-fuels
    Agricultura Comodities have been trade from the beginings of times, is from these kind products that the stocks markets exchanges come from.