What would you do with this farm? Villacastin, Spain. Cool Mediteranean, 600mm rain

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by robbob, Feb 9, 2013.

1. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Hello all,
    What would you do if you were to plan this site? Take into account that it is 600 hectares, including the open air mine which is 50 hectares. It is mediterranean cool, receives 600mm of rain mostly in autumn and spring, freezes, has an altitude from 1450m to 1220m, most of it being in the range from 1300m-1250m.
    It currently has 120 limousine cows, which require a lot of feed. It has good pastures, that never are seeded.
    Water systems
    pasture systems
    pasture seed
    forests
    orchards
    wind breakers
    dams
    swales
    keyline
    forage

2. robbob

robbob Junior Member

3. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

start by doing a PDC yourself, if you haven't already, whilst on the PDC you could ask the teacher which students he/she think are the best, then invite them to your farm for some post cert. design exercise.

alternatively organise permies of southern europe/north africa to do some event at your property that you will graciously host, then tell them all this is a blank canvas lets start "PRI andalus"(tm)

4. robbob

robbob Junior Member

I have done a PDC online, which I know isn't the same, but it helped enourmously, apart from all the reading and othe videos I've seen about keyline, regenerative agriculture etc. I just wanted to see people's opinion. I have my own for the design, but the design is done once and I want to do it the best I can.

5. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Promotion site

I am super interested in organizing events on the farm. It could be a presentation site to promote PDC. It's a wonderful property, one of the best known in the area. Once this site is underway, people around will buzz.