20 acres in north east vic grain country, subdivided, possible mini permie township!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by abdullah, Feb 2, 2013.

1. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

hi all, long time i know, i hope everyone is well :)

i found out about a piece of land for sale that i heard is a good deal, it has development potential for the right group of people. just a little disclaimer: i am not selling this, or know the seller, i'm just passing this info on hoping that something good comes from it.

i've been told that this property was originally subdivided as a township, that never took off, so someone built a general store/house on it, that doesn't look great but could be done up. it has a dam, a big tank, sheds and junk around, mains water (i think) and power.

anyway the real catchy thing is that it's subdivided (however i'm not sure if it's on one title or many) if you look at it on google maps there is one big block and a dozen or so small blocks.

they are asking around around $140k i think, but a local reckons they are desperate to get rid of it and would probably let it go for $100-110k.

so lets say 110k, if it does indeed have 20 titles, or even 10 titles, then $5 or 10k for a house block in a zoned township is phenomenal (i would be interested in a share!), presumably if there is a single title it's still able to be subdivided then there may be additional costs associated with that.

anyway i've said my bit, is anyone interested in getting together for this type of thing?

i'm guessing people will want more detail, frankly atm i don't have time to ring around the agent, council, etc and research all the details, especially if there is no interest, and i don't have the means to buy the whole property myself, so i need to see solid interest before proceeding, and hopefully people more qualified and experienced will get on board and assess this projects viability.

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    nice to see you back mate. sounds like an exciting project though I do have a "but" which I usually try to avoid.

I believe there are plenty of rural towns with the infrustrucrure in place that can be converted to a community for permies. What we need are the people with the ethic and the will to develop it and this is not so easy.

We have a passion for community here at Purple Pear Farm and have made attempts to get it together in the past. It can be hard work for small results. So to start from scratch brings challenges that can be avioded if you already have the roads and water sorted, elect your own council and develop sustainably.

Just a thought. You have made a great start by getting the people together. Good luck.

3. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

possibly need an intentional community thread! to get these people together
    5---- 10k buys a block in most villages round here

4. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

another thing i should mention is its 20 - 30 minutes between three rural cities, shepparton being one, the others i forget, maybe yarawonga and wangaratta the other two. the local who told me about the place was suggesting an organic market garden, then sell at markets in those 3 towns.

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day abdullah

Welcome back.

Generally speaking, and regardless of its title and/or subdivision status, zoning together with a relatively isolated location are probably going to be the major stumbling blocks toward getting any sort of community development happening from a statutory planning perspective.

I'm happy to provide you (or anyone else) with further advice as it pertains directly to the property in question. However if this is to be the case you will need to provide me with the exact property location details.

Cheerio, Markos

6. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

there are a few forum members near there!

7. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

8. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

It's about 10 minutes from here. There is a 'village' already there. Not sure how the natives would take to folks setting up some hippy-alternative-commune there ;)

9. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

whats that land like??

10. abdullah

abdullah Junior Member

well i was told its good loamy soil, the area around is cropped with grains and legumes, to the west there is irrigation and a lot of orchards and dairy farms.

11. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

seems too cheap any salt issues?

12. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

Imagine:

[video=youtube;1tqxzWdKKu8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8[/video]

will thar be corn bread?
    tell us bout the locals jed,
    no kiwis nearby eh?

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Was that you dancing Kimbo?

14. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

I thenk we need a redneck thread!