Removal of honey locusts

Discussion in 'General chat' started by andrew curr, Jan 26, 2013.

1. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

A local landcare group GLENRAC is calling for submissions from landowners to assist with removal of honey locusts along severn and Mann rivers
    At least they have stopped calling them cat 3 noxious weeds,(since i demanded that they apologise for previously referring as such), the apology hasnt been forthcoming.
    The ones at "Wytaliba" community on the Mann have largly been removed some were included in bill mollisons plans of the property
    How do you a explain to these people that this is a stupid ,violent thing to do.?
    The only thing holding the riverbanks together is a few aged casurinas and weeds and honeylocusts
    Years ago i helped trap platypuss at a property on the Severn where they poisoned the HL's .so should be interesting if numbers are affected.
    On the Aboriginal owned property "The Willows"the only thing that gets their stock through the winter is the HL pods .Amazing how easy they still walk into their own genicide
    Im not removing mine ,im gunna plant more or build more guards on the little seedlings that are coming up evrywhere

2. Synergy

Synergy Junior Member

Good on you ! Not that I am at all in the same situation, but I planted two honey locust recently and wired salvaged pallets around them to protect them from livestock as I felt the addition was an asset to what I am doing here.

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

4. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Looks as though those two entries have been removed. hmmmmm.

5. ecodharmamark

G'day Ben. The Holmgren crew are in the process of upgrading their website. The above documents, together with many of David's other 'ideas' - both old and new - can now be found here.

6. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

EcodharmaMark;(May I call you Mark?)

Thank you so much. Veeery interesting.

7. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

TA Marko!
    great stuff how the IRA is jepodising our future
    hawthorne tool handles
    how do i forward those doccuments to the relevent authoritys? Not that they will be able to deal with the info

8. ecodharmamark

Andrew, simply save the relevant documents as .pdf files, then attach them to a covering email, and send them to the person/s you think will have the most interest. In determining the latter, one needs to first understand the organisational structure. As such, if you study this flow chart, you will see that the 'management of noxious weeds' is ultimately the responsibility the 'general manger'. However, in this situation I would suggest you direct your correspondence a link lower down in the 'chain of command', at the level of 'director development, regulatory & sustainability services'. This way, if you end up not getting a satisfactory response to your initial comments/inquiry, you can always follow it up with the head honcho. But in my experience, it is at the level of 'director' where you'll create the most interest. Writing of which, the director's name is Graham Price. Email: [email protected]

9. ecodharmamark

Of course, please do. Do you mind that I've taken the liberty of calling you Ben?

10. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

I have a personality trait whereby i say what im thinking .
    today i attended a field day where we were meant to be discussing Honey locust removal.
    I suggested it was the second most stupid landcare project i have ever seen,(there is a group around Tamworth who are demonising Robinia pscantspellitia)
    Three women GLENRAC employees decended on me shrieking like banshees, even publicly threatening to withhold sitdown money from me.
    I offered to show them practical yield assesmentsThat support USDA data adequetly described in J Russel Smiths book tree crops a permanent agriculture
    To no avail/
    2 keen young farmers who witnessed the assalt are still keen to grow HL
    I consider my only recourse is to take out an ad in the local paper selling HL fattened lamb and beef

&70$ per half lamb 60$ per alf jollie mouton (i think i can throw in a weeks supply of--ra--KALE and Sunchokes with that)
    ny ideas this is WAR

11. Steve Burgess

Steve Burgess Junior Member

This is worth a read - in the interest of informed debate
    https://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documen...talPests/IPA-Honey-Locust-Risk-Assessment.pdf

My personal belief is that for many of the permaculture design purposes that people use plants like honey locust, bamboo, willow etc for in Australia , there is an equivalent useful native local plant , that poses less of a risk if it escapes from management. While contained in a well-managed system, plant and animal technologies introduced from highly disturbed 'outside' ecosystems may indeed not cause problems outside the spatial and temporal boundaries of the people currently managing them (after all most of our commercial food crops and pasture plants and farmed animals are introduced from other ecosystems). However, plants and animals that have demonstrated the capacity to escape from active management to invade and irretreviebly alter remaining relatively undisturbed native ecosystems should be given a wide berth. Sometimes I think people get too religiously attached to ideas and species that were mentioned in the biblical permaculture literature of the 70's without continually refining their local systems and learning from past mistakes.

Eg. Honey Locust - ideal permaculture plant for Texas USA- bad choice for South East Qld.
    Melaleuca - great wet area permaculture plants for South east Qld - disaster in Florida.

12. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

I love it when local gvt glamourises rape and murder
    Im drought proof; not many farmers can say that!

13. Steve Burgess

Steve Burgess Junior Member

Just asking people to think.

Not talking rape and murder. Just suggesting that people making decisions about here and now consider the consequences of their decisions for other people downstream or downwind, and for other people who may be managing the consequences in 50 years time. Pretty fundamental permaculture ethic I would think.

14. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Yeah
    sorry
    we do need to select natives to yield 7tonnes / ha sugary reasonably high protien stuff
    there used to ba a an Acacia Baliana outside the local butcher shop that would have been close.
    someone cut it down due to allergie

15. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

iv just advertised on the new england northwest FB page that i am buying honey locust thorns! i can use any amount for swale protection
    feel free to comment on their cancer curing properties!

16. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

steve,
    i recon if HL were used we could make the NSW sugar industry regenerative instead of being a major north coast polluter

17. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

TA marc for the Holmgren links
    interesting about hawthorne being alleopathic towards blackberry, iv asked around and no one here including the weeds officer has seen a rampant black berry and hawthorne and blackberry together