sea berrie seabuckthorn

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by andrew curr, Jan 23, 2013.

1. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

This plant quite trendy in USA at moment
    I assume i can add it to the ever expanding list of benificial plants that are unobtainable in aus:rofl:

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

3. matto

matto Junior Member

Speedy seems to have it all, I keep seeing his name pop up all over the place!

He's a member of this forum too...

4. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Ta Matto ! if you come across any other stuff i might need can you post it 2 me and ill fix u up'
    eg Seeing as it looks like Ollie will play cricket for australia i need in winter, some cricket bat Willow
    Rowan Ried Removed his beacause of the invasion risk ,,,Our scientists need to have more courage,but i spose they gotta eat!
    Happy days

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

6. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Here's some interesting herbal info about Sea Buckthorn, a native for me:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supp...ientId=765&activeIngredientName=SEA BUCKTHORN

Side Effects:

"Sea buckthorn fruit appears to be safe when consumed as food. Sea buckthorn fruit is used in jams, pies, drinks, and other foods. Sea buckthorn fruit might also be safe when used as a medicine. It has been safely used in scientific studies lasting up to 90 days.

However, not enough is known about the safety of using sea buckthorn leaf or extracts.
    Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of sea buckthorn during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Surgery: Sea buckthorn might slow blood clotting. This raises the concern that it might cause extra bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using sea buckthorn at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery."

7. camwilson79

camwilson79 Junior Member

Hippophae rhamnoides seed is an allowable import on the AQIS (Aust Quarantine) website. (it's amazing what is allowed when you look into it. On the website, just type in the Genus of the plant you're wondering about, hit search, then click on the link 'Seeds for Sowing' and it will list the spp allowed in under that genus, along with import conditions.)

Seed is also available from Martin Crawford (#143 Hippophae rhamnoides): https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/seedorders.html Seeing as though you get 100 seeds in a pack, with a bit of over planting followed by culling you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to end up with a good pollination ratio 9 female : 1 male

Martin also sells Hippophae salicifolia (#143B) but that's not on the AQIS list of allowable app.