Permaculture without community?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by mouseinthehouse, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

See... there are six pages of them.

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Guess what ... 7 billion of us here on this planet are not the same, don't have the same beliefs, follow the same rulesets, or have the same needs met. Diversity of humans within the large community of "people on the planet" varies significantly for any number of reasons. Celebrate our differences! Just by virtue of the fact that "we" are reading and posting on this forum makes us part of an e-community. Not one of us (humans) stands completely alone, our "hermit-ness" is only a matter of degree. Even Kimbo comes around to participate in our e-community from time to time! = )

This (rather long) article presents inklings of some of the reasons for the independent vs community differences:
    https://www.psmag.com/magazines/pacific-standard-cover-story/joe-henrich-weird-ultimatum-game-shaking-up-psychology-economics-53135

3. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Sorry, I haven't read the full conversation here, but from what I have read what stands out is... Isn't this forum in itself a form of community?

Aren't we building relationships with people by simply interacting here and as such couldn't we just transfer that sense of community to the "real people" world ?

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Online community is one thing, but the sort of sustainable, local, alternative (to the growth economy) communities we are going to need to get us out of 'this mess' are a very different matter.

5. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I think information is easily transmitted in the online community, but actual working together, as Grahame points out, has to happen in "real life." Getting people together in person for mutual endeavors is a challenge.

6. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

And using this forum, facebook and other online connection points is not a suitable lead in to creating those offline networks ?

7. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

So far I have not met any local permaculturists through the internets. I've met a handful of regional permaculturists in person through the internets. Other people who live where there are more permies, might have better luck.

8. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

My point was that we are building community through this process... Only a couple of weeks ago I introduced someone to a local permie who happened to live only minutes from each other... one I knew offline, the other I met on this forum...

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I got the same problem, however, I will admit, it is because people that are not my wife tend to tire the hell out of me, and sometimes down right scare me. Like suddenly being surrounded by suffocating negative energy. I am determined to get over such problems some how in order to help others and not just myself. However, at this moment, the Mrs. & I come first.