1. annette

annette Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the latest eco paints on the market. I'm going to paint my house and would like to use them but have heard some bad reports (only from other paint sellers).:think:

I'm keen on the ecolour brand.

Would love to hear if anyone has used them and what they think.

thanks
    Annette

2. Ochu

Ochu Junior Member

3. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

I have used rockcote and had no problems .
    Bob Cameron Who owns rockcote is a local permie and his factory is is a outstanding example of sustainable design.

4. annette

annette Junior Member

Thanks! May go the rockcote.

5. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    We did a room just before Christmas with paint from Byron Bay and found it to be grear odor wise and applied easily too.

6. No idea

No idea Junior Member

If you want a good Eco paint stick something like Dulux enviro 2 or taubmans microban they have a lot better coverage and are a lot more user friendly in regards to application and longevity than ecolour .ecolour claims to have zero voc (the nasty stuff) which unfortunately for them is not actually possible and when you read their data it says when measured against USA EPA standard 24 or something so obviously there are some voc's in their product, they just gloss over the facts. Dulux and Taubmans are at least honest and the grams per litre of voc's are less than 5 which is very good.

7. No idea

No idea Junior Member

One other thing the dulux enviro 2 product is also low odour and safe for asthmatics I've a friend who painted her bedroom in the morning and slept in the room that night with no odour at all

8. johnharry

johnharry New Member

9. PlantingPete

PlantingPete Junior Member

I'm involved in the retail paint industry so I have lots to say on the matter although so not to bore you all I will limit my response to a few observations.

-Low VOC paints has been a major trend in the industry over the last 10 years (fantastic idea)

-I looked at the the paint firm you mentioned https://www.ecolour.com.au/ and they do have APAS certification which indicates they are a professional organisation. Paint prices quoted on the site are consistent with industry standards (not ultra expensive like some other eco paints). They state their paints are VOC free.
    Give them a try and let us all know.

- At the retail level all brands (Wattyl, Haymes, Dulux, Taubmans etc) premium water based products are now low VOC with no sacrifice in performance. It is now the industry standard.
    Does the paint have to be zero VOC or will low be acceptable?, either are pleasant to use with little odour. It can be important for people with chemical sensitivity, asthma or respiratory considerations to choose zero VOC however for everyone else low VOC can be adequate.

10. johnharry

johnharry New Member

Also the Earthborn Paints are good they too have got goods reviews.