Mill mud... Is it safe to use on vege gardens?

Discussion in 'Forum Info and Questions' started by Tree hugger, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Tree hugger

Tree hugger Junior Member

Firstly, my apologies to the site developers.... I posted a similar question on the 'Ask an expert forum' and then realised I was not meant to post a new thread (???)

We were recently gifted a trailer load of "Mill mud" from our sugar cane mulch supplier. He waxed lyrical about it, and his vege garden certainly looked absolutely vibrant, but when we mentioned it to a friend he queried the clean-ness of it. The mulch supplier had said it was 'clean', but did mention that it possibly had A. lime, not ag lime but something else starting with A, in it, as it was the end product of slashed and trashed cane stubble, and lime was used to sweeten the soil for the sugar cane. Does anyone know anything more about this 'mill mud', and would people use it on their vege patch, or fruit/nut trees, or anywhere? Thank you. :)

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

3. Tree hugger

Thank you, Grasshopper :) That is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for. The old link embedded in that thread won't open for me, but I am heartened by the comments of previous posters. :) Many thanks for directing me to that earlier thread. Oh, and thank you to previous posters, too, for their input.

4. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I have been told by a top worm breeder that mill mud is the best food you will ever get to feed worms. It is very high in lactose brucillus bacteria which worms thrive on. So I suppose if you dig it into your garden you will encourage worm activity so that is good for your gardens.

5. Tree hugger

Oh... that's excellent, thank you briansworms. My worm farm will love it, then. And that makes it sound really very ok for my vege patch,too, if the worms are happy with it... Thank you so much for that. Between you wonderful responding folk, I am happy with my mill mud! :handshake:

6. briansworms

Where are you getting it from? Condong just south of Tweed Heads? I believe it stinks. I would love to try it. Just add some dolomite as it will be acidic.
    Set up a second tub with worms and try them on it. I think you would use it as food rather than bedding that they live in. I would love to know how it goes.

7. Tree hugger

Yep.... in that general area, just where the sugar cane mulch sign is often by the side of the main TV road into M'bah. It does smell... not seriously foul, but a little bit, sort of like the uncomposted,raw-ish, smell of too much citrus in a compost bin... It looks and feels a bit like just-moist cow pooh but with mycellia (?) all through it, so a mixture between cow dung and mushroom compost sort of thing..

I took a fistful and dropped it in a glass of water and agitated well once saturated... It read as neutral... 7.0 ... I would have gone the opposite way, thinking it would be too alkaline for things that prefer ever-so-slightly acidic stuff, so I'm glad you mentioned that it would be acidic to begin with... No idea why I assumed it would have a high pH...

I will try it just sprinkled on top with other food options and see how the worms enjoy it... Thanks... In a second tub... :)

8. briansworms

Feed down one side of the bed only in a strip. Next time do the other side. I should go to Rocky Point and get some but will wait till cooler weather. I have just found a source of fresh cow poo and it stinks but is the second best food after mill mud from what I was told.

9. Tree hugger

Excellent... will do... :) We have cow poo sometimes, too, as we have people who agist on our block, keeping the dreaded setaria grass down while we get other things growing... Have to make sure the cows haven't been drenched, though!!!! With vermifuge......

10. briansworms

You don't have to worry about wormming products as they do.t kill composting worms. I tested some on worms for several weeks with no losses. It is a myth. I did a thread call Horse Wormer vs Worms. Use what you like with confidence but not too thick of it is fresh as it heats up and only over part of the bed the same as the food. If it is dry soak it in water and drain then about 100mm deep. After a week do the same till the farm is full.

11. Tree hugger

Excellent.... thank you :) Interesting that compost worms aren't afflicted in the same way... strange, but good :)

12. briansworms

Intestinal worms are parasites and only have the name Worm in common with the compost worms

13. Tree hugger

Of course!!!!! :blush: I'm sure I knew that, but it certainly wasn't emerging in the moment! :) Thank you for clarifying. Excellent, then cow dung it is, and mill mud, too... I have just discovered some very denuded spots of bare earth where the grass/plant-cover seems to have just given up in disinterest... I might stick a handful there, too, and mulch over, just to see if there is any 'almost immediate visible improvement', because that always encourages. :)