anyone growing New Guinea Beans...

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by bluesapphire, Dec 10, 2012.

1. bluesapphire

bluesapphire Junior Member

This is a vine that actually grows an edible yam. I got the seeds from green harvest. Poor germination but I have 3 plants now. Any suggestions welcome from anyone who has grown it.
    Cheers
    Cathy

2. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

No tuber formed on this species , you must be thinking of Jicama . This gets an edible gourd like fruit .
    clipped from green harvest site..
    New Guinea Bean H
    Lagenaria siceraria
    Syn. Italian edible gourd, gourd cucuzzi, Indian squash, bottle gourd, calabash gourd, doodhi, lowki
    Not of course a bean at all, instead this is a type of squash. A traditional Italian vegetable, the light green fruits are cylindrical 60 - 100 cm long and can weigh up to 2.5 kg. The creamy white flesh is said to have a flavour and texture similar to green beans, which is probably where it gets its common name. The white flowers are large and scented.

3. bluesapphire

yep you are right. Jicama is on the invoice. Not sure where I got the yam idea from. So has anyone grown these? I,ve just moved house (yet again) and woo hoo new place has a fence and vegie patch so wont have to depend on planter boxes as much.

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I have grown jicama for a few years now ,I love it. Self seeds now. As for NG Bean I saw heaps of them all through the markets in Sicily but never saw anyone cook one in a restaurant to try .

5. bluesapphire

now I am confused. Some older posts here talked about Jicama being a yam, seeds and pod are poisionous. That sounds like the Green Harvest info. Maybe I'm confused with New Guinea Bean...is that a different plant? I'll ring GH tomorrow and check....need to winge as well.... the comfrey and yacon were hopeless and I am not suceeding with the microgreens either. sweet potatoes going great and the potatoe planter bags were great

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

https://agsyst.wsu.edu/zucchetta.html Does this help ?

7. William_Blakers

William_Blakers Junior Member

Sounds like to me that you ordered the NG bean but they sent you the Jicama instead. Or put the wrong info on your invoice. Be careful as all parts of the Jicama except the tubers are poisonous. I dont want you trying the leaves of the NG bean only to find out it was toxic Jicama instead.

8. Tree hugger

Tree hugger Junior Member

I bought yacons as tubers through Dayleys nursey, Kyogle, and they kept churning out rhizomes to propagate from and tubers to eat for years... easy!!! The ones in the garden eventually got done by bandicoots, but I had some in styrene tubs and they lasted for years... enjoyed the light, potting mix type soil, perhaps.