Anybody know how to grow Pachyrhizus erosus known as mexican yam.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by William_Blakers, Dec 5, 2012.

1. William_Blakers

William_Blakers Junior Member

Hi does anyone here know if the Mexican Yam,Pachyrhizus erosus, can be grown from a yam or does it need a cutting?
    Cheers
    Bill

2. aroideana

aroideana Junior Member

They flower and set lots of seeds . Can be grown from small yams I imagine . Grown them a few times as I love Mexican food .
    Well worth growing . I started some over winter and got nice small tubers with hardly any climbing , oh the joy of the tropics .

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

4. William_Blakers

Thanks for those replies aroideana and Michaelangelica. I saw one of the "yams" at an asian grocer labelled as Bang khuan yam and thought i would buy one to plant. Rather silly I suppose given that I had never eaten one.

5. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Usually when planting yams, sweet potatoes or tubers you have to wait until they sprout before planting. I'm not sure if jicama would sprout. But it is a member of the bean family and it also fixes nitrogen if the little rootlet nodules are left in the soil. I can imagine those long vines would give some great additions to the compost pile. :)

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I have grown it from seed. Easy as....
    I think the seed came from Green Harvest. Could have been Eden seeds if it wasn't.

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

No need to restrict ourselves to a solely Western diet. You might discover something very tasty and easy to grow

8. William_Blakers

Yes I agree Michaelangelica,diversity is the spice of life!
    Only problem is that I have read a few recipies for the yam and as it's not in the ground yet it's future is uncertain.:rofl:

9. Tree hugger

Tree hugger Junior Member

Hello... :) I've not yet grown this plant, as seeds which were purchased a long time ago went out of date while I wasn't paying attention :))).

Green Harvest supplied the seeds, and also offered an informative growing info sheet, stating the toxicity of the seeds and pods... and stating that it's best to remove the flowers, albeit pretty, to avoid the toxicity issue. They are meant to be very yummy, though... :)

I have grown Yacon, an underground 'equivalent', I think, to the Jicama, but not toxic! :) Crunchy, easy to grow...

Best wishes on your harvest :)

10. William_Blakers

Thanks tree hugger.

I put the yam I bought into a bag and three weeks later it had rootlets, so ive chucked it into the ground. We'll see if I can get a vine from it and more yams. I'll just have to be careful about the toxicity issues as my dog has started to nibble my jeurusalem artichokes and I wouldn't want it to expand its diet too much. I have'nt tried yacon yet but I did make contact with a member of this forum who sdays she might have some ready around april/may.
    Cheers Bill