the old my chicken has stopped laying question

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by city4nil, Nov 18, 2012.

1. city4nil

city4nil New Member

Hi

My white chicken has simply stopped?

She's no more than a year old, goid varied diet, seems her usual fiesty self.

I think she may be in moult as there are a few feathers about the run but she was as regular as clockwork and laid a whopping white egg.

Q. She seems well but how long will this drought last?

Q. It is also early winter now here in the UK so whilst I expect the shorter days to slow her down it may be 10days since she last laid.

Her pen mate is still laying, she lays brown ... cunning I know.

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Chooks will stop laying when they moult. They need to concentrate protein and energy into feather making so they can't afford to make eggs as well. 6 - 8 weeks and she'll be back at it again. A high protein feed will help keep her in good form while she gets on with it.

3. city4nil

city4nil New Member

Cheers, weight off my mind - she is in fine fettle

4. deee

deee Junior Member

Yep, she's moulting. Its a bonus that your other chook isn't moulting at the same time (mine all do). Give her a well earned break, feed her up on some tinned cat food (make sure there is no chicken listed in the contents - try sardines) and make sure she stays warm. You'll be able to tell if she's getting ready to lay again by her comb, which will get bigger and redder.
    D