Dealing with ducks

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by jaydavo, Nov 13, 2012.

1. jaydavo

jaydavo Junior Member

I'm working on establishing a mini forest, and have sown groundcover in a small open area about 10m x15m, mulched it. We have about 30 wild ducks living in our property and everyday they are at it, eating all the seeds! We've tried fencing, fishing wire running in and across the area, netting, etc, nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this problem.Would it be safe to try sectioning off a smaller area one at a time?

2. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

Do you have any photos of this area ? What exactly is the ground cover ? Would it be simpler to outplant seedlings of whatever your preferred plant is ? Is this a riparian area, as you referenced ducks as a problem ?

Sorry, just running a bit blind here trying to picture your area. 8) How about a rope and collar and placing a guard dog there until things can germinate. I would think a barking dog's presence would discourage their foraging. :bear:

-

3. Myles

Myles Junior Member

jaydavo,

The one thing that gets our domestic ducks running for cover is a large bird flying overhead. Hawk, Kite, even large Cockatoos. Perhaps you could try making something like these: Birdsoff and hanging them up high? Good luck with it.

Myles.

4. jaydavo

jaydavo Junior Member

Thanks for the reply Earth Internet. They are eating the cow pea. I sowed 100kg last spring over the swales and it went nuts. although we didn't have 30 ducks then. They love the clover sprouts also. I have grown heaps of clover and had to fence it of with chicken wire and do small sections at a time. As with large areas they tend to fly in from above as with the 10 x 15m area's i am trying to do now. The one are were i run fishing line everywhere 6 inches of the ground succeeded the best.

Ducks are great, but only in ground cover established areas. Otherwise they cost lots of money and hard work as i have been finding out, not to mention shitting in the pool constantly ; )

I could tie a dog to a lead that would be unethical and cruel. we have 2 dogs that are free, the ducks are more scared of us than them.

Thanks Myles i will cut a bamboo pole and stick it up with a plastic kite along with fish line along the ground for stage 3.

5. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

Well if all else fails, an old time Scarecrow utilizing a Faux JayDavo style in Bib Overalls may do.