What's wrong with my garden??

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Ellen, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Hi everyone, In our garden we have flowers, trees and veggies. But there seems to be a problem, I think with the soil. The leaves of many plants are turning very pale green, while the veins stay a darker green. They also tend to wilt easily. At the moment it's very very hot, we water every day. Our water is very hard, when you leave it in a glass for a while a residue of lime is visibile all over the glass. Our electric kettle also needs to be decalsified very often.

The veggie beds are raised beds, made of bricks filled with grass from horse and cattle stables, compost, and all other kinds of organis materials. And - teeming with earthworms! We also have many ants and termites.

Other plants are not in raised beds, but with lots of manure and compost. We have clay soil with lots of lime rocks in it.

I hope this gives enough background for someone to be able to tell me what to do?

Thanks!

2. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

O yeah, the rain did not start yet, so we did not have any rain since May this year!

3. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

I had a soil PH kit at home, and tested the soil PH, which is 7+. I guess this might be ons of the problems? But what can I do to increase the acidity of the soil?

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

5. permup

permup Junior Member

PH

Hi Ellen,

Try adding some vinegar to a watering can to the rate of about 1/2 cup to 10 litres water and water into the beds. You will probably need to do this every 3 months or so. Also add as much citrus to your composts as you can. See how that goes.

Paula.

6. Ellen

Ellen Junior Member

Thanks all! I get the idea that it is iron, magnesium and/or manganese deficiency. Will try the vinigar, and maybe epsom salts!