Hi from Southeast Queensland

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by twebb, Oct 13, 2012.

1. twebb

twebb Junior Member

Hi folks,

I'm a transplanted Texan! I came to Queensland on a six month contract when I was working with Texas Instruments Inc. - that was in 1995! Long story, that I won't bore you with! Now, I'm retired with plenty of time and little disposable cash!!

I live on a small property (170'sh acres) in Buaraba (between Gatton and Esk). It is basically a hobby farm. My spouse is into horses, she presently has three and we agist from six to twelve at anyone time. I am not a horse person but interested in land restoration.

We have gully erosion issues extending the entire length of our propert which is situated on a hill side! The SEQ Catchment guys are coming out this week for an inspection. I'm hoping to use 'soft' rehabilitation methods and expect this will take a number of years.

I am particularly interested in Peter Andrews 'leaky weir' methods to reduce water velocity in the gully and in turn reduce erosion. Often when we have rain it is 'torrential'!

I'm also very interested in using vetiver grass and have read articles by John Greenfield and Paul Truong. All very helpful! I have another thread started regarding veitver grass propagation and sourcing.

So after I talk to the SEQ catchment folks and have some idea of what to do and where to start, I'll post a follow-up. The gully runs from the bak of the property to the front and is about 1Km in length, the back half is almost inaccessable becasue of the terrain! It's going to be a challange!!

So anywho - nice to be part of this forum and I'm confident that I can learn a lot!!

twebb

OBTW - I couldn't get the spell checker to work, so be understanding!

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Welcome.

Campbell Wilson just posted an article on the permaculturenews frontpage just yesterday about floodplain restoration too, leaky weirs were mentioned.

Sounds like a lot of work on your property, best of luck.

3. twebb

twebb Junior Member

S.O.P.

Thanks for that! I will certainly have a look!

twebb

4. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Welcome to the Forum. SE Qld is a great spot to live. My sister worked for Texas Instruments in Adelaide about a million years ago. Well she is almost that old.

5. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Hi twebb,

welcome to the forum. I will follow your post with great interest.

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Brian forgot to mention that he is the older brother....

Welcome! Looks like you'll have a while to get some work in before it starts to rain. If it ever starts again....

7. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

No no I am younger lol.