rosemary bush dying .........HELP ! Please

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by philby, Oct 12, 2012.

1. philby

philby Junior Member

Hi, my beloved rosemary bush which is beieng grown in a 40 cm pot is browning off in a big way, taken my a few years to get it 50 cms high, the soil is well drained, and I do not over water, can any one give me some tips on how to save it, have taken 5 emergency cuttings just in case. :sweat:

2. permup

permup Junior Member

Rosemary needs full sun. It will tolerate part shade but prefers full sun. It will need to be fed fairly regularly if its in a pot. Feed with worm castings or compost and make sure you have a lot of straw mulch to protect it from drying out. Worm wee at a ratio of 1 part wee to 10 water at a rate of once a month would be important for it too. Rosemary does well to be pruned (or used) regularly, as they become a bit rangy otherwise, but don't prune down into the woody wood, as it often won't grow back from there. That's all my experience can tell you! :)

3. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Not sure if I can be of help but it seems odd that it has taken so long to grow only a little. We grow rosemary here in the poorest sandy soil, never fertilised, mulched or watered much (basically neglected!) and the bushes are huge and cut back regularly and are now about 10 years old. Perhaps re-potting with fresh soil might help?