dams - keeping dams clean

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by paul anderson, Jan 3, 2004.

1. paul anderson

paul anderson New Member

hi guys,
    My names Paul Anderson and I have a small property at Mayers Flat, NSW (near Seal Rocks). Basically the problem is in keeping the dam we have in a healthy state. Is there something natural we can add to the water or is there some literature we can read to find out what sort of environment we should be creating around and in the dam. The dam is used for a small amount of watering plants but basically it's for swimming.
    Any help is appreciated
    Cheers
    Ando

2. muttabuttasaurus

muttabuttasaurus Junior Member

Don't know if this relates to your problem or not but your post reminded me of when a dam in northern nsw "turned" in the heat of summer and went really rank smelling so that we were washing our bodies and doing the dishes in this foul smelling water. the cow cocky up the road suggested that we throw a bail of alfalfa in the water.
    We were skeptical but desperate and followed his advice and it worked! the smell was gone in a day or so and the water was nice and clean again. I supose some kind of bacteria live on the alfalfa that set off the some biological chain of events. Don't know why, but it worked!

3. vix

vix Junior Member

I was going to suggest the same thing. I've seen it done at the Fremantle Community Garden Centre, when one of the ponds had algae and looked bad. It must filter it or something. But you have to take it out again at some point though, or it would start to put stuff back in the water, wouldn't it? Anyone?