Hi from Canberra

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by KirstenM, Aug 30, 2012.

1. KirstenM

KirstenM Junior Member

Hi everyone,

My name's Kirsten, and I'm an Australian writer/blogger/mother trying to live more sustainably in Canberra's suburbs. Well, in one of them :)

I joined this forum a couple of months back but then apparently never posted anything, but just came across it again in my search for information on hugelkultur beds. I am about to build a (very) raised vegie garden bed in my front courtyard, and think I'll try hugelkultur.

Other info about me: I have three children, ages 2, 6 and 10, and am trying - with patchy success - to bring them up to be producers, rather than just consumers, and to be prepared for an adulthood in a world that may be very different to the one they are growing up in (so far). I am also a web manager in the public service, very part time, run a website called Sustainable Suburbia (link in my sig), and try to find time to write as well!

Now, off to explore the forums :)
    Kirsten

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Welcome Kirsten :)
    Don't be a stranger

3. Excelsior Concordia

Excelsior Concordia Junior Member

Welcome, Kirsten!
    I appreciate what you try to do for your children and I wish you a lot of success :)
    Since you have three your efforts should be encouraged!

I wish you all the best!

4. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Welcome Kirsten :)
    Welcome back to the forum, I am a relative newbie and the info and help on here is awesome.
    Whereabouts in Canberra ... it's big nowadays and so different in climate from one end to the other, although the wind seems to be a constant.

5. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Welcome Kirsten. Nice website you have there, spent an hour or so reading last night.

Now that I think about it, it seems very US-centric, and you're in Canberra, how did that come about?

6. KirstenM

KirstenM Junior Member

Thanks for the welcomes, I appreciate it.

SOP, I'm it's funny you should say Sustainable Suburbia is very US focused - I try to maintain a balance, because the readership is about 40% Aussie, 40% US and the rest spread around the world, but I have two other regular writers, one in the UK and one in NZ!

Anyway, I'm glad you like it all the same :)

Kirsten

7. KirstenM

KirstenM Junior Member

Yeah, it's pretty windy today! I'm in Tuggeranong, though up on the hill a bit, not right down in the valley.

8. KirstenM

KirstenM Junior Member

I've just been looking at your pics SOP - impressive transformation. I should get better at documenting with pics along the way. I love the repurposing of your swing set. We have one just like that (except with swings still on it), that I can see doing that with in a few years time. I wanted to make a beam teepee for the kids this year, but can't find a place for it (between our dog and chooks and a front yard that's sodden through spring, we're a bit limited. But that could make a great bean covered cubby one day!

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Amazon links, Imperial measurements were the most obvious. Some articles referencing US programs.

All good, I just found it strange that an Aussie was running it but your explanation makes sense.

10. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Mexico... we used to live at Ngunnawal (Gungahlin), but are now in the Lockyer Valley... much warmer and much less windy.

11. KirstenM

KirstenM Junior Member

Oh, we used to live in Ngunnawal - we'd watch the rain come across and then stop just before it got to us!

12. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

LOL... yes I remember it well. So frustrating at times... you'd think you finally get some rain just to watch it move off and Hall would get it instead.

If we ever move back to Canberra I know where to go to get advise about growing things ;).

13. PennyK

PennyK New Member

Hi Kirsten,

Just moving to Bungendore, my sister is in Canberra, and keen to find urban permaculture sites in Canberra, plus people who know more about temperate climate plants than I do - still learning plants and still learning temperate... Love the look of your site and will certainly help share the message. Let me know if you are in Bungendore anytime.

Cheers

Penny

14. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member