Maringa/Drumbstick Tree

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Stubby, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Some on a Permaculture Facebook page mentioned Moringa trees and naturally I did a bit of reading and now I want one, or two. It looks like they may make good fodder trees as well as giving us an alternate 'vegetable' in our Asian cooking (we love Indian food).

So here are my three questions (for now, I am sure I will come up with more as time goes on.):p

Does anyone know where to get seeds or cuttings for this tree?
    Has anyone in SEQld grown this tree?
    What are your experiences growing this tres?

That's all for now... have to go back outside... lunch is over.

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

There is a thread on 'Aussies Living Simply' where myself, Len and some others are posting progress of Moringa seedlings. I even potted one on today and snapped off many roots as the potting mix stuck.

The seeds dried up from the source on there, 'BlueWren, but I did see a bag of them behind the counter at Northey St addressed to someone. They may have a provider.

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com...to-post-about-your-progress-here?limitstart=0

4. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Oops yes, Moringa. My bad... anyway to correct that spelling mistake in the title ... just in case a newbie like me does a search for the tree?

Thank you for all the info. I have to admit the more I read about this tree the more I want one.

5. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Hi S.O.P.
    totally forgot I am a member on that forum as well... love the pictures of your little tree. It's very pretty. I will be watching your progress. Aparently it also strikes from cuttings. Maybe I wait until your tree has all grown up and then beg for a cutting.

I will contact BlueWren and see if I can get some seeds off her.

Thanks S.O.P. :)

6. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Ok. Basically, if my trees ever get going, I'll use the better one for seeds and cuttings. That is the first goal. I've 5 more seeds so I will have some variety (no where to grow them unless...engage permaculture brain).

If I can get them to strike in 200mm pots, all the better. Not sure if it's done like that, but a good way to share them most likely.

I was going to offer it as a fodder alternative to you but a lot of the horse fodder sites never mentioned it. All good for fodder?

7. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

8. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Awesome :)
    I ordered some seeds and they should be here soon. I have crappy soil and if what they say is true that you can grow it in any soil, that would be awesome. Well I'll be putting it to the test soon.

I'll be taking photos along the way to see what progress I get. I also did some research last night and apparently it does make a good feed supplement for horses as well ... this will be one awesome tree to have in my back yard... I'll be crossing my fingers that I will get more then 1 tree out of the seeds I get.

9. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Where did you order from? Cost?

10. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

11. AndyC

AndyC Junior Member

Moringa PKM1 Seeds

You should look for 'PKM1' Moringa. (Google for it)
    A superior Moringa Oleifera variety.
    I got a quote from www.moringa-seeds.com (they send worldwide):
    1000 seed packet: $55
    5000 seed packet: $120
    25000 seeds $490
    It would be very nice if you redistribute a 1000 pack.
    I would definitely interested in 100 seeds. for $10
    ?

Andy

12. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Looking now. PKM1 seems to be drought-hardy and a heavier fruiter? Does that translate to more leaf production (besides the drought-hardiness)?

While you are buying seeds, Stubby, can you pop down to the shops and grab me some inoculated Leucaena?

13. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

The question is ... would they get through customs/quarantine?

S.O.P. I've got a Leucaena, you're welcome to the seeds. I've got seedlings popping up all the time at my place and you gonna scream... I pull the seedlings out and feed them to the chooks... Leucaena is toxic to horses :(... it's the mimosein in the Leucaena they can't handle. A real shame as my horses quite like to eat it. I pick a few branches every so often to give to them as a treat, but if they get too much... I'll have nude horses.

14. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

check with quarantine services but as far as i know so long as the declaration is filled the way they want seeds will be let through, that is declare them as garden seeds with their botanical name. you could try and sneak them through(small amount of seed drumstick seeds not small) that can work, worst should they spring you parcel they will hold it until you give them correct declaration, no charge as i am aware.

also that pkm1 sounds like a hybrid maybe even genetic?

len

15. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

I had a read about the PKM1 and they said they use 'line breading' to get the PKM1. Hmm... not sure exactly how that works in the plant kingdom, but in animal breeding this usually means a lot of inbreeding which causes issues.

In the plant kingdom I am not sure how this would work although I think it would need a lot of manual pollination, sterile conditions to prevent pollination by 'rogue' pollinators, etc, maybe even some genetic engineering to make sure the desired traits are dominant and not recessive... no idea.

For me, the reason for wanting to grow Moringa is as a fodder plant, for the leaves and stems, so I am not sure I really want the PKM1 variant as it has been bred to produce lots of fruit, although it being drought hardy makes it very tempting to try it. Hmmm...

I've got 10 seeds of 'normal' Moringa which are going into the ground this weekend... if the trees don't grow, I'll try the PKM1. Don't think I am brave enough to order them though. I only need half a dozen trees if that, but if someone else wants to order them... I'll put my hand up for a few as well ;). Thanks :D

16. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Thing is, a drought hardy Moringa is not needed in our climate, you would be looking at more centre Aus and semi-arid. A normal Moringa is good for 250mm if my memory serves me correctly.

I'd also guesstimate that line breeding is just several years of picking seeds from the heaviest fruiter until the offspring all have similar traits.

I've plenty of Leucaena seeds, Stubby, just no inoculant. There are also 3 varieties that are picked for their traits. I will be emailing the supplier to see if I can get a non-industrial sized pack of seeds and inoculant.

17. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

for someone wanting to develop a particular strain money making would be the main reason for growers as well, this line thing sounds like it could be a bit hit and miss.

anyhow we've got 5 seedlings up out of 9, 1 died.

if potted they need plenty of room to develop root system as the clausena smyrelliana does, so maybe plant 1 seed in each 1 gallon/8" pot, mine are in 6" pots and all but dormant at present.

len

18. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Being in the Lockyer Valley, we have a multitude of microclimates and for some reason, where I am, we watch the rain drift right past us and only just sprinkling enough to make the car look dirty. I blame Mt. Tarampa for it.

We should get enough rain though for the Moringa... crossing my fingers. Don't know about Nth Brisbane, but it's very dry here at the moment :(.

19. Stubby

Stubby Junior Member

Mine will be going into the ground once they are big enough. Once I know exactly where I want them, I will dig a big hole, put in gypsum and water, and once drained fill it up with the soil, mixed with manure and compost... well that's my plan :). Somewhere on that Moringa website I read the 'pit' should be 45cmx45cm, or at a minimum 30cmx30cm.

20. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Of the 3 planted out in photos, the one I planted straight onto a bucket of kitchen waste is the only one doing anything. They probably enjoy the nitrogen. It hasn't grown much, just the leaves have gotten larger.