Reuse and Recycle

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by brad_kl, Jul 15, 2012.

1. brad_kl

brad_kl Junior Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I was recently doing a bit of tidying up in the garage because I might be moving house soon. (back to NSW North coast if i can get a job!)

Something that troubled me and has before is exactly what to do with stuff i don't want or have any need for but can't sell or re-use. The default answer is: chuck it in the bin. I want to avoid this and really try to use it as a last resort. I don’t want to horde stuff either, I want to put it to use.
    Anytime I have moved house or helped someone else move house, there is always one or more trips to the tip and this doesn’t sit right with me.

When most people have a 'spring clean' or move house, they usually sort through their stuff and anything they want to get rid of will go to:
    A) charity shop
    B) Sell (e.g. eBay)
    B) Friend/Family
    C) Bin/the tip

My idea for a solution:
    Is there a website where you can post photos of stuff you have that you don’t want and have no use for but can’t sell and the charity shop won’t want. People could post ideas on how to re-use it or it might be of use to someone else.

Would it be appropriate as a sub-forum of this forum? I’m still learning about Permaculture, but doesn’t it encourage re-using, recycling and minimising waste?

Example
    I did some work on a rental property and now have these spare curtain weights:
    View attachment 1413
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Attached Files:

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

3. annette

annette Junior Member

There's also gumtree in the free stuff section.

4. brad_kl

brad_kl Junior Member

Fantastic. Freecycle seems to be exactly what i want

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm a freecycler - it works nicely. Never ceases to amaze me the stuff that gets a new home this way!

6. brad_kl

brad_kl Junior Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I've signed up to Freecycle and have also seen lots of things get a new home.

I dropped some pots, seeds and plants into someone last night. Great feeling and i bet they were happy too!

7. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I joined Gold Coast Freecycle but I cant see any ads. I think this is a great idea. Will check again tomorrow

8. Mack555

Mack555 Group for banned users

Reuse and Recycle

It was as i was thinking also.:(

9. permup

permup Junior Member

Freecycle is now ozrecycle (they had to change their name). I like Ozrecycle because they don't allow pets to be given away on their site. The trouble is, it isn't as frequented as Gumtree. It also has very few photos as I think the site has difficulty in allowing uploads.

Gumtree does allow animal postings which is so sad, but they have a much bigger audience and seem to do the recycling thing far better.

Paula.

10. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

What is with the animal thing? Am I missing something?

11. permup

permup Junior Member

The animal thing is an issue because there is no screening process to ensure animals are being given away to good homes, or even to someone who wants a pet. Unfortunately free animals are often accessed by people with less than honourable intentions and those with little commitment or understanding of what it is to have an animal. When you get a pet from RSPCA, at least you have to consider the $200 odd that it costs, and whether you REALLY want one.

One also has to question the high number of animals being given away and wonder whether people see having an animal as a life-long commitment or just while it suits them.

I knew a girl who gave away two of her dogs because she wanted to get a fashionable dog.

I know a woman who gave away her cat on Gumtree, and it was returned to her due to the microchip 3 months later. The cat was found starving in someone's back yard and it had been turned in to the local vet.

12. mouseinthehouse

Thanks - all valid points.
    I rescued a dog from our local vet the afternoon that she was taken there to be euthanased by our local council pound. I already had three dogs so my plan was to foster her and try to re-home her so I put an ad on Gumtree. As it was I only had one call and I rightly or wrongly made a judgement call that they weren't the home I was looking for.
    She is with us permanently now and is a beautiful, wonderful dog :)

13. brad_kl

brad_kl Junior Member

I am now a regular use of freecycle. The one in Brisbane is well used. The one near my new home in Lismore is a little quieter.

I had some moving boxes and got no response from freecycle but plenty from gumtree.

14. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

We went to the local tip today. They have a 'better bits' shed where you can pick second hand stuff up for free. I grabbed a bike that I'm pretty sure has never been ridden. I'm going to fix it up to be my around-town bike, with a couple of baskets for carrying things - that sort of thing.

15. mouseinthehouse

Wish our council had that sort of facility at our local dump. The EPA guidelines and other regulations required such an upgrade to our dump that we now have to pay $304 per large dual axle trailer load and around $162 for fully loaded single axle of mixed unsorted rubbish. It is only a very small amount $$$ to take green waste and about half of above costs for 'hard' rubbish only.
    Unfortunately that means a lot of people are now illegally dumping :(