Hello from South Carolina

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Benjy136, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Non stop harvesting, nonstop helping family, & was trying to help with Greek permaculture but it fell through last minute.

Also playing with organic fertilizers on medicinal crops... such as seaweed + lavender + stinging nettles = higher organic oils in the plants.

Lastly, I hope you all are having a nice day.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

3. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Just waiting for my PC to resurrect it's self again. Seriously have to think sbout replacing it.
    Glad to see you are busy Pak

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    Brian, i hope you can find one you like that does what you need. we had to replace our main stereo receiver this past week and it was a challenge. almost everything now is set up that you are required to plug it into a HDMI TV to get it set up. to say the least we don't have one of those. the first unit i picked out was an unboxed display unit without a remote or anything else, but the price was excellent and i figured i could get it going without the remote. everything was going great until i went to set the radio stations. there was no way on the front buttons to set them... after some muttering and reading a few thousand messages on the AV forums i had to admit defeat and take it back the next day. found another unit for about $50 less that had everything i needed which would let me set the radio stations from the front panel. there's still some stuff that can be done through an HDMI TV but that was not required so we are now back in business... eventually, i'll need a different computer too, this one is already limping along and that will also mean i'll need a new monitor (my ancient one works, but it too is showing signs of fading).

meanwhile, in the gardens, regular rains have been great this season, we're heading for some nice crops of beans, carrots, beets, tomatoes and fennel, the peppers, onions, squash and fresh beans have been doing well, cucumbers also had plenty. right now i'm trying to get caught up on weeding, we've had a lot of family events lately and Ma decided that we needed to haul and recycle the wood from an old shed, so lifting, carrying, unloading, pounding nails out of the wood has taken up too much of my time, oh, and the chopping and covering of the back strawberry patch (smothering the weeds). around here weeding is a continual task, but for the most part it is doing ok, with most garden plants being big enough now to keep most weeds from doing much, but just the fact that they are there bugs Ma... i'm more tolerant of weeds... rains yesterday gave us a few cm so weeding today is going to be limited to areas where i can clear pennyroyal from along some edges and the fresh beans will need picking.

more rain forecast for tomorrow, but not a certain chance, so perhaps it will miss us? we'll see... the rest of the week is looking great for temperatures being moderate (low to mid 70sF). i'm hoping we're done with the really hot/humid weather for now and i can spend more time on the gardens. a few days last week i could putter a bit in the morning, but that was about it. with so much waiting to get done i always feel useless on those days, but a few hours can still accomplish a lot, as i can usually get a few gardens checked, harvested or weeded in a few hours. the alfalfa patch could use another chop, not sure i'll get to that... most year's i've been able to chop it once at the most and spot harvesting for worm food, but this year i've chopped it twice already and the worms back there must be hopping.

hope you are doing well Benjy and Auntie Willie?

glad to hear the gardens are doing well for you Pak. :)

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I am sad to report that there is clear cutting going on now near my house starting at 6am, 2 hours before drought restrictions say we are allowed to use chain saws. Fires are all over the state and has made Portland at one have worse air then Beijing. I'm safe currently though, rain coming this weekend.

6. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Doing Nothing Gone Awry,

Woke up too early again for annoying reasons and headed to water. As I pass my deck and enter our food forest in progress I see a Doe run by and towards the road from under the Golden plum trees. As I got closer I saw Fawn, and it stared at me, and I it as I walked past it to water in the enclosed garden. I walked over the swale, entered the closed garden and picked up the hose to start watering. Suddenly a Spike ran right past the garden, headed up the swale, freaked out in the rye, and ran after Doe. Then suddenly I see Fawn running directly at me and smashes head on into the fencing, it bent the post over a good 40 degrees towards the ground. It got up, and ran down the trail towards the river and not towards Spike & Doe. I kept watering thinking about what just happened when Doe jumped and ran through blackberry back into my food forest area. I paid it no mind and kept watering. When I was done I started dragging the hose uphill to deep water some trees and get back up to the other kitchen garden. Suddenly I heard a rustle from the deck area, I looked up and Fawn was in my other kitchen garden running back and forth when suddenly it leaped over a fence and landed in blackberry & ferns, misjudged the landing and rolled downhill to the road. It got up and sprung into the forest after Spike & Doe, between me & the clear cutters.

I went back to work, but I can't help but think if I was still in bed none of this would of occurred.

7. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    sometimes deer do crazy things. at least this time you know why (clearcutting)...

8. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Rescue turns into Biodiversity

While returning today on 42S towards Coquille a car with 2 woman and us stopped to rescue a Golden Lab running along the road. They drove one way, we drove another asking people if they know the dog.

We met up again, took the dog, and continued with no luck. It was over an hour of looking around that I asked the Mrs to stop & let me out to wait for someone to come by. Literally 5 seconds after she left I saw someone in the distance pull out onto 42S.

About 2 minutes later someone showed up and claimed the Lab & I informed the owner that his fixed dog was in heat and that's the reason they left home. They left with the dog with no fuss or muss and I started walking to Coquille from Riverton (Only 6 or so miles).

While walking home I found some biodiversity that couldn't be overlooked and collected apples from various trees before I was picked up. The plan is to sprout the trees and graft later, so it was a win win afternoon for everyone.

Currently the names of the Apples I picked will be "Mini Donks" & "Abba's"

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Is there any body out there???

10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    yeah, i'm reading along when i can. over-busy lately, but in good ways. a lot of rain, making things very interesting.

tonight's forecast is for overnight lows in the upper 30s... the season is starting to wind down. but this is the hyper-crazy time for us because of harvesting along with trying to get projects done before the weather gets too cold to do much outside. sometimes we have a few months of mixed weather for the fall and can get a lot done and other times we go right into too cold and wet and then the snows...

we've been putting up tomatoes, harvesting red peppers, onions, i sorted through and cleaned up the garlic and got the next season's cloves selected for planting. the rest is edible or giftable. luckily that stores out in the garage. picking the squash that are finished and hoping the other larger ones will keep getting bigger. a few are pumpkins (we didn't plant them, but they must have been cross-pollenated from someplace else) i'm hoping they'll be edible... one is getting pretty big.

yesterday, i went out to weed some pennyroyal out of a garden it was trying to take over. i have about 1/5th of it done, two buckets on the weed pile, was tired by that point, but got going on weeding another garden, two hours later i started picking dry bean pods so i could get them shelled or drying for later, shelled for a few hours and then finally came in for the evening.

Benjy and Brian, hope all is well? everyone else too... :)

11. TANGNEDUK

TANGNEDUK New Member

,could any willing hearts help in upgrading this farming group to produce more for the kids feeding support??

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

This thread is just for people talking with one another, the helpful stuff is up above such as the plants section and so on. Not that we don't help one another here, Im just saying, this isn't the thread or droids you are looking for.

13. briansworms

Hello All. Still alive. I am struggling again with time. The bloody computer has been off and on still. On at the moment. I have registered Brian's Worms as a business. My business number takes effect from today. Still working full time and doing the worms and woodies when I can.I got an email from Ben but I think it was spammers using his email. Just some weight loss thing. I hope everyone has been well. Will try and pop back soon.

14. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Brian, I've been off-line for several days now. Willie is having more problems, and, bless her heart, he memory is not doing so well. I'm fine, except just a little tired lately. My puter's been hacked by some Chinese person using the name "ying". It ticks me off somewhat. This new format looks strange to me. I bought up two gallons each of Mesquite and Orange blossom honey from Flagstaff, Arizona and am looking for a good local source of raw, unfiltered honey. A rough time is coming and we've been well stocked up food-wise. I bought a large solar cooker, but haven't assembled it yet. We've had a lot of rain lately and now it looks as though we'll get a REAL Frog-strangler coming in this evening. The weatherman says 10 to 17 inches. We haven't had that much at one time since I've been here.
    I just finished a book titled "A disgrace to the profession" that explains the fallacies in Mann's Hockey-stick picture of "Global warming" that was latched onto by so many that now have vast govt. funding and are reluctant to get off the gravy train just because so many "real" scientists have pulled up the rails. The middle ages little Ice age followed by a Warming period that killed hundreds of thousands when there were no huge factories spewing C02 and the temperature was possibly even higher than in the 1990s was shown nowhere in Mann's "hockey-stick graph" but fraudulent funding only increased after Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth (Lies, because his events, based on the book have NOT occurred long after they were supposed to have) came out. The book was even put int UKs schools, but removed when real scientists shot it down. That has not stopped the monies streaming into failing projects. Now Obama wants to build MORE ICE-BREAKER ships because the ice at the poles is melting???? Of course there is ice-melt in the Summer, but it is GROWING in the Winter, farther than when this big scare began. The book I mentioned is backed up by serious Scientists and that hockey-stick graph that IPCC is still hanging onto has been totally disproven, but they can't give it up and still receive the global monies generated by FEAR.
    I don't believe in "Man-Made" global warming. C02 levels have also been discredited as global warmers. I don't "trash" the planet. I recycle. But that's because I'd prefer a cleaner environment for myself and my children. Even the 2003 satellite altimetry record that was "Mysteriously" tilted upward to imply a sudden sea level rise of 2.3mm per year was explained by a British member of the IPCC by "we had to do it to show a "change""
    So much for that subject. It is easy to foist a false condition on the people if you predict far enough into the future what is going to happen. The mistake (other than the total miscalculation of what actually causes "climate change", that is, The cycles of the SUNs thermal output) was not putting the "effects" of the global events far enough in the future to protect their reputation while they are still alive. Follow the money and you'll understand why Mr. Michael Mann, Mr Al Gore and all the believers have not been tarred, feathered and run out of town on a rail. Gore left office with, maybe a couple million dollars and is now worth over a hundred Million. In spite of his "hockey stick being solidly proven false, Mann still makes money giving speeches to dupes who can't see behind the curtain. His "stick" is the foundation for all the predicted grief from the IPCC. Now that it has been soundly trounced and exposed as false, one would believe, in a logical world, that would be the end of the lies, and the trillions of dollars being spent to knock down the American economy (Russia and China? No way.) could be put to better use. So much for a Logical World.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  15. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Oh Brian; What was that about weight-watchers spamming? It's been a while since I wrote you directly.

Now I'm a little confused about the Sabbath year, as it just ended via the Jewish calendar. I guess I could turn over a bunch of "weeds" and plant some garlic and onions for next year. I might just go for some peanuts (goobers) mixed in here and there next year. The Nastys and asters and other flowers can be leveled now, as Summer's over and Fall is in the air now. If I just leave the garden alone the Chooks will take most of it down and clean it up. But then I'd have to hide the onions and Garlic from them. mmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

16. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Little shook up, the Roseburg shooting is 1 hour from here, and a friends niece was supposed to be in school yesterday but decided last minute to ditch with a friend so luckily she is safe.

Sorry to hear about Auntie, but it is good to see you writing Uncle Ben & Brian.

17. briansworms

Yes Uncle it was about weight loss. I was going to write you a letter and post it soon if you didn't pop back on here.
    I hope Willie is doing better now. I suppose my memory would be going too if I was in my eighties. Just love her every day Ben.

I believe you are right with the climate change. How can sea levels rise to the levels predicted from the melting of the polar caps. They are a small area compared to the rest of the oceans. It was only about 6,000 years since the last ice age so what made the planet warm up back then? I will be long dead before any real changes take affect.

Pak how is your Mother now?

Your mass shootings over there are becoming the norm. When is enough going to be enough? You spend billions fighting terrorist that may attack America but can't control Americans killing each other. Every county has violence to a degree because the world is full of shit heads but no other country has regular mass killings of their own people by their own people.

Yesterday I had to fly about 650km north to pick up a truck and drive it back. The radio stations were crappy and the signal drifted in and out. I decided to play music from my phone through my Bluetooth headset. I played an album called Some Days are Like This by some bloke called Uncle Ben lol. I just kept it on repeat for about 5 hours. The last couple of hours of the journey were in bumper to bumper traffic and all I wanted to do was get home as I was worn out. I left home at 4 am for the airport then got home around 6pm. Well it was something different to do.

Rain these days is a little thin which means very few days off for me. Right now I could use a week off to get my worms sorted out. Just about out of fishing worms and the busy time is ahead. I have found some locally so I am hoping to buy them and on sell to keep the customers. Nothing worse than trying to build up your good name only to fall down being out of stock all the time. This year I have maintained stock levels of the woodies with the help of my friend. I have built my new shelving in the back shed and have space for one more woodie tub. I have 38 tubs now with only one empty which I will fill tomorrow. I screened my babies today from the 5 breeding tubs and got so many babies I had to put them into 2 tubs and they are a bit over crowded still. Yes things a looking good at the moment.
    Ok rambled on enough. Take care all

18. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

WOW! Haven't seen so many words at one time from you in.....I don't know how long, Brian. We are being pounded with rain right now. And this, after almost a solid week of rain off and on. Power hasn't gone out yet although, if we continue with this deluge and the ground gets soft enough under some of these tall, heavy trees, we will have, in the neighboring farms and lots, several uprootings resulting in some downed power lines. Joaquin (whatever happened to John, Jane, Joe, Jeff,
    Janice, Jimmy and all the everyday names?) is way out in the ocean but she's/he's (are we going to have a transgender Hurricane now?) been throwing a heap of weather inland here. We always keep enough food on hand for any kind of emergency, so we have no problem there, if I don't forget where I put the can opener if we need it. We use it so seldom. Guess I'd better go find it now. Plenty of batteries (mostly solar-chargeable) and flashlights, though the battery-powered TV is in the garage and I'm not heading out there now, 'cause my snorkel stuff is out there too lol. This makes me think of what Packo went through a while back.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but our fig trees only fruited once this season and we always have two crops, though the second doesn't always ripen before the first frost. We're just now getting temps in the 50s (that's teens in Down-Under Cs). That's just cool enough to enjoy my flannel shirts. Songbird would probably be sweating in one at that temp, though. Both Winter and Summer kinda overstayed their normal parousia this year.

Now for that can opener.....

19. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Preaching to the choir my man. :)

Mom is good, we just celebrated her 1 year anniversary of being OUT of a hospital for 1 year.

songbird likes this.
  20. briansworms

Good news Pak. Nice to see some good news your way.
    I saw the hurricane the other day over Cuba. Hopefully Uncle you are far enough inland to avoid the destructive winds.
    Our weather is warming up and the days are getting longer. The air conditioning in the car was a bit warm the last few days and l thought $$$$ to fix. The wife gets in and turned the heater off. Problem solved lol. Was cold the other morning so l must have put the heater on.
    This new platform is different. I thought not mobile friendly first up but I can type this on my phone without the problems of the other platform. That is a plus in my book.
    Take care all