Hello from South Carolina

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Benjy136, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Well, I am supposed to go crabbing today sometime, sadly I have had insomnia for the last 5 days so this will be an adventure!!

I composted my Jalapeno plants with seaweed and planted Lobellia around my Pink Lemonade blueberry. I am still surprised it isn't GMO.

I have a lot of harvesting to do. I started harvesting garlic yesterday and fed a dozen plums to my chickens. With that said I naturally have a lot of plums to harvest both purple and yellow. Oh & I made a trellis out of 2 1x2" and driftwood with metal used as lashing rope to hold it together. This was setup next to a male kiwi plant. The female kiwi plant is nearby on an arbor with wisteria where I have 4 tomatoes hanging down as well.

2. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

I try, Packo, to picture in my mind what you describe, as I have pretty much the same plants in my little garden here. The kiwis are plentiful again this year. We have three females and 2 males. I didn't get to prune them this winter and they have spread out all over my "little" greenhouse and half the garage. The cold got most of the grape vines last winter. The Yakon seems to be doing well, but no blooms yet. It has begun spreading out toward the herbs. I'll be letting some people I know have most of the produce this year.

I've been up since 4:00 this morning and I think I'll lie down for a short spell after releasing the birds.
    Love is the Answer.

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

3. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Leaving home in the dark and getting home in the dark. Hmmm the joys of working again. Back to little free time again lol. Uncle I must thank you for telling us about your friend who got the upset tummy from eating seeds. I have cut grain bread out of my diet and other know food that gives me gas. I think it is the change in bread that has been the big help. No more violent wind and churning guts like before. The pain used to be extreme and has now gone.
    Have to go to bed. I keep reading the posts but replying on the phone is a waste of time.
    Take care all

4. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Hi, out there! I guess the whole world, by now, knows South Carolina has lowered the Stars and Bars and shut it away so it can't get out and kill anybody else. It had a "mock" trial in a Kangaroo court and was sentenced to never see the light of day again. The sentence was carried out at 10:00 yesterday morning. I suppose it was less work than educating the masses on the flag's real past. It would be similar to explaining that what they've been calling Orange all these years is actually purple or that North is actually down, and South is up. Think of all the maps and globes we'd have to rearrange.. Actually, though, we could say that "Down" changes as the Earth rotates. As the Earth is held in orbit by the gravity of the Sun, any part of the Earth facing the Sun is "Down", and as we rotate, a different area faces the Sun, ergo, "down is an ever-changing direction. WOW! However, is there another force that draws the whole solar system that is more powerful than the Sun's gravity? I see where somebody has thrown out the "Big Bang" theory, at last. I never was into that thing anyway. I think the Creation story is just as plausible and just as exciting. With all the galaxies out there, being born and dying and interacting I would think, if someone or something wasn't looking after us our atmosphere would have been ripped away millions of years ago. There are so many conditions that have to be "Just Right" for us to be able to survive. Well, not just survive, but thrive. And even the Evolutionists say it's taken us Billions of years to get to this stage. And places like Egypt, Easter Island, Stonehinge and that place in Peru, Macho-pinching something, reveal that several advanced civilizations existed here loooong before now. and the peruvians tell some very weird stories about sky people. Well, the flag is down and the whiners are appeased for the moment. I was just sitting here wondering who's going to be offended by what next. Gotta keep the division up, so I'm sure it won't be long. tick.....tick....tick.....tick

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

All this has happened before, all this will happen again.
    J.M. Barrie

Be water my friend.
    Bruce Lee, philospher

6. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Long before J. M. Barrie:

ECCLESIASTES 1:01 : THE WORDS OF THE PREACHER, THE SON OF DAVID, KING IN JERUSALEM : VANITY OF VANITIES, SAYITH THE PREACHER. VANITY OF VANITIES; ALL IS VANITY. WHAT PROFIT HATH A MAN OF ALL HIS LABOUR WHICH HE TAKETH UNDER THE SUN? ONE
    GENERATION PASSETH AWAY, AND ANOTHER GENERATION COMETH:BUT THE EARTH ABIDETH FOREVER. THE SUN ALSO RISETH, AND THE SUN GOETH DOWN, AND HASTETH TO HIS PLACE WHERE HE AROSE. THE WIND GOETH TOWARD THESOUTH, AND TURNETH ABOUT UNTO THE NORTH; IT WHIRLETH ABOUT CONTINUALLY, AND THE WIND RETUNETH AGAIN ACCORDING TO HIS CIRCUITS. ALLTHE RIVERS RUN INTO THE SEA, YET THE SEA IS NOT FULL; UNTO THE PLACE FROM WHENCE THE RIVERS COME, THITHER THEY RETURN AGAIN. ALL THINGS ARE FULL OF LABOUR; MAN CANNOT UTTER IT; THE EYE IS NOT SATISFIED WITH SEEING, NOR THE EAR FULL OF HEARING. THE THING THAT HAS BEEN, IT IS THAT WHICH SHALL BEDONE; AND there is no new thing under the Sun. IS THERE ANY THING WHEREOF IT MAY BE SAID, "SEE, THIS IS NEW? IT HATH BEEN ALREADY OF OLD TIME, WHICH WAS BEFORE US. THERE IS NO REMEMBRANCE OF FORMER THINGS; NEITHER SHALL THERE BE ANY REMEMBRANCE OF THINGS THAT ARE TO COME, WITH THOSE THAT WILL COME AFTER.

The chapter that follows is interesting, also. I texted the whole first chapter so that there was no need for the unbeliever to find a Bible and hunt for Solomon's (According to scripture, the wisest of our kind) writings. He seemed, to me, to describe the jet stream and the possibility of "generations" before and after us. I wonder if he was shown our future as well as our past. Just thinking. And he seemed to be telling us that if we don't learn from our past, we will be FORCED to repeat it. I'm remembering the Hitler years started the same way as our present. Do you recall, also the hundred year span between Lincoln's demise and the Kennedy assassination? Not all the parallels were accurate, but enough to connect the two. Perhaps we need to include more facts in the study of history in our schools.

Gotta go, folks. And remember....

Love is the Answer.

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

7. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

It seems that last post was not that popular. I'm probably getting into areas we're not paying much attention to lately. I just aint as much fun as I used to be, I guess. The stuff going on in our country of late, may have something to do with it. I noticed, the other day, for instance, that Planned Parenthood (the abortion mills created by Margaret Sanger for the Democrats to ERASE the Black population {"weeds of Society", a direct quote} is finding new ways all the time to fund their infanticide. For the last few years they've been harvesting and selling parts of their victims' bodies and using ultrasound ( the tool too traumatizing for the mother to see her "baby" before abortion) to know where to use the gripping tools so as not to damage the parts to be sold. Just for the record, it is still against the law with a 2 year sentence plus fine to SELL body parts. And taxpayers are still supporting this EVIL work. I guess, with all the crap that's being pulled on the public, the average person just shrugs, flips a channel and goes on with his or her life of hum-drum, day to day going-through-the-motions of living. while the dEVIL chalks up another victory over "GOOD" I'm too old to get out there and scream and holler "What's wrong with you people???" and even if I did, I'd, more than likely get tarred and feathered by some "non-discriminating" group for offending someone of another ideology. For the time being, we can still post on the internet, if we're careful to use all the right words and not let a "....." (words we can't use) slip in to be used against us.
    If you feel I shouldn't be posting thus, just let me know. I will understand and it will not diminish my love for you. If you disagree with what I am saying, though, I am open to constructive criticism .
    Meanwhile, my KIWIs are flourishing in spite of not being pruned last Winter and the Yakons (I only planted one there, but it has multiplied in spite of not flowering last year) look as though they want to take over one area in the garden. The man who I hire to help me on occasion will be getting carrots, onions, grapes and kiwis to take home this Fall. It being the Land's Sabbath this year for my Garden. Outside of being a little tired, I've been doing fine lately, Praise the Lord. Willie's not getting out as much as she needs to, but we're working on that. She hid my cattle-prod last month and it's just a little difficult to get her out of bed in the morning lol. That's the mail-carrier, so I've gotta went.

Love is still the answer

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

8. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    *shrug* it's a general chat forum topic. you can write what you want here, but as you've noted, your readers don't seem to be all that interested in USoA political topics or religious topics. personally, my eyes are not here for either of those so i have little to say...

always interested in old stories, chook stories, garden topics, and actual permaculture related content. :) and of course, i'm always happy to hear that you and Willie are doing well. :)

in the gardens here i give different areas a rest by planting cover crops and leaving them be for a few years.

9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

What Songbird said. Im presently busy giving Permaculture help in Greece.

10. briansworms

Working long hours again and little time whenn l get home at night.

11. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Glad to know work has picked up. Sorry you are so bushed when you get home. I spend far too much time at the 'puter, myself. Perhaps that's why my posts have become, what some call political, when in actuality,what I post is what I see on a daily basis.
    I get up, take care of the Chooks, make the coffee, go and fetch the paper and by then it's well past sun-up. Sometimes I write poetry in the "dark" hours of the morning and then return to the bed until daylight.

When I sit down to the 'puter I pull up the "news" that's not on the tube or in the paper I just brought up. In the paper I read about the local (Columbia and SC) "public servants" indicted on misappropreation and other charges, the sports pages and local to-dos and maybe somebody's cat got stuck in a sewer pipe..etc.

It's been in the 90s almost every day lately and I don't take the heat the way I did a few years back, so it's about all I can do to keep the "lawn" grass down to a "tollerable" height. Willie's been sleepin' in longer these days and I get a little bored with time on my hands. When she does stir out of the bed, Breakfast has to wait for about an hour, so I just wait on fixin' it til she wakes up. Meanwhile, my idle fingers want something to do, so here I am, trying to make some logic about what I see and hear.

Some of you call it politics. I call it calling a spade a spade (no pun intended). I must admit that some of my scriptural reading runs afoul with most of our "traditional" religions, as I have become pretty much of a purist and don't abide with what I refer to as man-made traditions that are not scripture-supported. I usually find other sites to bring that subject up, where it has already been broached, as it is unpopular here. I'm not quite sure or the logic, though. Agriculture is mentioned throughout. For instance there is a "land Sabbath" where every seven years the croplands have a time of regeneration. No husbandry is performed. The land lies fallow and then turned under. If any crops volunteer, they are left for the "orphan and the widows" or given back to the earth if there are none to take them. and Just as we are given a specific day (Saturday. It was never changed in the scriptures.) there is a specific year, which just happens to be this year according to the Hebrew calender.

Every year I've put more into the garden (or at least, as much) than I've taken out, so logic would tell anyone that the "Sabbath" would be unnecessary, but, perhaps there is more behind it than my comprehension can find. so, just to be on the right side, Mo garden will get a "rest" this year. I just found out that there is a specific year, so the vegies I"d put in (about half the garden) will go to those that can't afford them. I haven't told this to Willie yet, but She will understand. The chickens will get most of the figs this year, and leave their "contributions",

12. briansworms

Well did I speak too soon? Raining again. I am just getting in the minimum 4 hours a day. If the truck is not cancelled before I leave they have to pay 4 hours minimum. Suits me at the moment. My wife left today to visit friends in New Zealand for 13 days. Nice and peaceful here lol.
    My son come in today to pick up the timber I needed to build my shelving for my woodies. I have one shelf almost completed so tomorrow will finish the off if I don't work. My little shed is an old imperial size so all the standard shelving won't fit. Plus it would be way dearer. I only paid $66 for 2.4m ( 8') lengths. I should be able to rack about 40 tubs. I intend to set it up properly now I have the chance with all plugs to the front with the thermostats. At the moment they are just hanging at the back. Found 2 unplugged today on my breeders. I have small tiles on some shelves and these move so I will fix that problem too.

My pumpkin is coming along very nicely still. The tomatoes are now gone. Maybe in spring I will try again. Been cold here lately. We had an Artic blast of cold air a week ago. It got down to about 6 deg C. Too cold for me lol. Well I suppose I best make my lunch as I am out the door at 5.10 in the morning if I don't get a call to cancel.

Take Care all

13. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    and from the other side of the earth it's been getting plenty warm here. the gardens are doing well enough and things are ok to excellent in most regards. next rain is forecast for Wednesday, but i don't count it until i see it hit the ground...

we've gotten most of the critters trapped and relocated or otherwise discouraged, the bunnies are still chewing a few things up and the japanese beetles are collecting on the wild grape vines, but they are so far mostly there so i can go through the beans and pick off a few and the rest are staying on the grape vine. if i can get out early enough in the morning i can collect a few hundred beetles and drown them and then toss them at the end of the drive for the birds to eat.

things to harvest for now are the cucumbers and onions when i want to thin them out. tomorrow i will need to go out and water the other half of the gardens i didn't get done today. weeding and thinning are the main tasks when i can get out in the morning hours before it gets too hot.

the bees are thick on all flowers this year from the hives off to the NE. can't complain, but like to also see some bumblebees and other pollinators about including the hummingbirds.

glad to hear you're getting some work again Brian.

the wormies here are doing well too, but i haven't added anything to their food for a while so i'll be checking them soon, Ma just bought a melon to eat so they'll be happy to get those rinds... i have other things waiting to be added too. dried veggie scraps. i also have old jars of garlic and spices i put up that i'll never eat so i'm going to gradually use those up as the sugars and molasses along with the garlic should be a nice supplement. in very small amounts. :)

Benjy, hope that you and WIllie are holding up ok with this heat and humidity? makes for a tough time... i've been doing a fair bit of reading and siesta-ing during the mid-to-hottest parts of the days.

14. briansworms

I am still out the door by 5 am and not home till 6.30 pm. Then it is cook dinner and feed the animals and woodies. My wife is away in New Zealand till Monday. After dinner it is make my lunch for next day then bed lol.
    My lone pumpkin seems to be coming along very nicely. All the others came to nothing although I think there might be one more small one. It s dark when I leave home and dark when I get back so don't get to see anything till the weekend.

Songbird the other year I was in New Zealand during summer. We went for a walk and came across a huge field full of flowers. I saw only 1 honey bee. Very sad indeed. Last summer I was there and saw these Manuka bushes. Highly prized honey comes from them, not one bee in sight due to the Vorroa mites.

My worms are starting to take off again. Was a little quiet for a while. The weather will soon be warming up so I expect all the fishermen in the southern states will be after worms soon. Woodies are going very well. I am buying in stock now to meet the demand.

Uncle Ben I hope you and Willie are doing ok from reading what Songbird has put. I forget you are sweltering while we are shivering. Mind you our winters are very mild compared to what you get over there. The lowest I saw on the car temperature thing was 7.5 deg C about 43deg F just looking at my thermometer. Can't really complain can I lol. I am a real girl when it comes to cold. Well I have 2 whole days off so the alarm can get turned off. I will wake up early for sure lol. Have plenty to get done so wont be resting.
    Take care all

15. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Hey Y'all. Just popping in to let you know we're still here so you don't worry about us ole farts. I reckon the pack mule is out prospecting fer stuff. There's been some gigantic forest fires all around his area. and he might be out doing volunteer fire fighting. I've done some of that in my younger days and, while the work is rewarding, it can also be very draining on one's body and spirit. Has anyone heard from ECO lately? Willie was asking if she'd been in here.

We've been in the high nineties most of this month and last winter we had over a month of below freezing temps. July and August are normally our hottest and driest months where we are We just make sure the chooks have a constant supply of cool water. Willie stays in the house (74F) and I don't really have to go to the garden, it being the Sabbath year, and the chooks can go in there for all kind of weeds and bugs. Even so, the plants are close to chest-high in a lot of places. I've cut back on their feed so that they'll spend more time with "wild" food. The Yacon is beginning to spread out this year. I might have to dig up some rhizomes to replant this fall.

I wrote a long ode to the flag, trying to explain it's true origin and included some of Lincoln's (the great emancipator lol) own words. I would have put it on here, but didn't want to start an argument concerning "Politics" The big subject, anyhow, now is Planned Parenthood. Margaret Sanger's plan to get rid of the "weeds of Society", paralleling the NAZI genocide efforts. I doubt that U.S. Pravda (another name for our mainstream media) has leaked that story over there in OZ yet. but I won't go into it here either, as it is really too disturbing. Y'all come back, now.

16. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Hi Benjy,

glad to read that Willie and you've not melted in the heat down there. :)

it's been pretty warm up here too, but we get out for a few hours early in the morning and then take it easy the rest of the day until it cools off again. the coming week is looking better and perhaps we'll even get some rain tomorrow or the next day. i'm still able to get enough done that most of the gardens look reasonable.

with the way my lungs react to smoke it would probably kill me to be a volunteer fire fighter, but when i was younger i hoped to be able to do something like that.

i've not heard anything from Eco since way back.

Brian, glad to hear you're also ok. Pak is ok, he's writing in other threads recently... :)

17. briansworms

I don't like this new format. Will take some getting used to.
    Working long days but may slow down soon. Got to rush got my grandaughters birthday.

18. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    yeah, it's a challenge at times to figure out how to get something done, and it looks like there are bugs in the works still too...

it's a busy time here too. made some bread and butter pickles, three bean salad and have more cucumbers ready already to make more pickles. plus a lot of family events, garden work, etc.

19. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Changed the Dad-Blamed thing again! Just when I started getting the hang of things. They did that back when I was taking a course in animal husbandry thirty-four years ago. Crossed up m'white mice with my honeybees and lost three hogs when the mice escaped before I figgered whut had happened. Just went out to find them hogs impaled with mouse-tails. Before I could get that straightened out my cupboard where I kept my cornmeal got to overflowing with honey. Worst tasting honey ever.
    Was this supposed to improve the site.? I think I'll go take a nap. Perhaps when I wake up they'll have it changed back because of unintended consequences They might be taking lessons from our gov'ment. They're good at stuff like that.....Whoops! Started down that road again. Better back up and start over.....That nap first, though.... Later

20. briansworms

It is not mobile phone friendly. Other forums I can click on the page and make it bigger and it fits the page. Struggle to read this site on my phone now.
    Uncle Ben did you get my email?