Hello from South Carolina

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Benjy136, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Some of us Americans don't understand the culture either.

You should see the international gaming culture and the use of the word, "rape."

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    the more nodes you get rooted before you snip the main stem the better chances for the pumpkins to keep going.

the dude was trying to stir up more racial violence. the first mistake in trying to understand the American culture is to lump it all into one blob. it's not. there's a lot of different blobs and some of them are contrary to each other.

Pak, i've never participated in the community you speak of, but the word "rape" being used lightly or in a way to shrug off the violence and effect upon the victim would make me leave it rather quickly.

3. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Brian; Don't you find it just a little puzzling that although New Zealand didn't follow suit when Oz passed the gun-banning law that their crime is paralleling yours, and, in spite of our wonderfully wise and caring president's accolades to his "subjects", no significant change in the murder rate has occurred because of the ban on guns. The mode of murder is about the only thing changed. They are not sure how many (11 or 22) were killed in the mass murder at the Quakers Hill Nursing home. Personally, though, if it were a choice between being shot or burned, I'd rather take the bullet.

We may also be aware that when guns were voluntarily "sold" to the government, law abiding people "sold" theirs, thereby leaving themselves dependent on whatever law-enforcement providers happen to be close enough to provide protection in the event of a criminal attack. I'm just a little confused, though, at the thought of a criminal (robber, burglar, murderer) giving up his. Theoretically, if all the "victims" were armed during our massacres in our country, the death tolls would have been lessened, possibly, even down to the perp. I did notice that death by knifing and fire has risen in Oz.

The "kid" that killed those people in Charleston, SC was a visibly disturbed drug user whose father gave him gun for his last birthday (21st). DUH? Can anyone here not understand there are things you don't give to visibly disturbed people? Like matches, clubs, knives, hand-grenades ........Guns? Has our culture become a "see no evil...hear no evil...do no evil" mentality? Those guys that blew people up at the Boston marathon were "ratted out" well before the attack by Who?...Moscow, in Russia.

Our own government sent thousands of guns into Mexico, hoping enough people would get killed for us to swiftly pass new gun laws. When it was discovered and communications with our AG, to prove the case, were demanded, Our POTUS used executive privilege to keep our Congress from getting at the truth. Meanwhile, hundreds of Mexicans were killed by these weapons. AND OUR GOVERNMENT WANTS US TO GIVE UP ALL OF OUR GUNS, so THEY can protect us? They can't even defend our borders. Obama is telling us that "Man made global warming" is a bigger threat than ISIS!!. ADOLPH HITLER first took over health care, (sound familiar) then told the people the Jews were a threat (how about conservatives, AKA the Tea Party) and removed all the guns from the Jews (sound familiar?) and taught the children not to trust their parents (Common Core) Today's generation doesn't remember the brown-shirts. How can our children learn from history? They are not taught it, so they can't see it coming like a freight train, and they think us old people are alarmists. Try asking today's youth what they know about the Holocaust........The what?

Yes, I've done it again. Wasted a perfectly good 45 minutes on a subject I'll probably be asked to either prove or forget. The figures are easily enough found if you have a 'puter. And you may notice that I deliberately left out "Democrat" and "lies" and .....Oh..Excuse me. Willie says there's a uniformed man where the front door used to be lol. I put the lol in so you will know that I'm kidding.....this time.

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I'm moving a pond & still digging out the attachment area for a greenhouse attachment.

I divided some oca and replanted it near my Japanese Maple which came back despite the deer. Oh, and I chased the deer out of zone 1 again this morning while talking to my dad. Speaking of, Ben... Happy Father's Day.

Peace all, back to work.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I and some others are trying to fight back about the use of the word. The people I game with do not put up with the use of that word by any means.

6. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Thank you, Packo. I'm not sure what you are referring to in your post. The word you mentioned has limited defines. The most popular being the forceful (against the will of another) sex act, usually with a woman or girl, but not always. A plant from which seeds are removed and pressed to obtain Rapeseed oil, and, of course, the plunder and despoiling mankind has exercised against the Land for centuries.

And to all you other Fathers out there, Happy Father's Day. Although, for you blokes Down Under, it's already tomorrow, Isn't it?

7. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Happy Father's Day to all the dads in the US. We have Father's Day in September.
    My wife had her birthday yesterday. Finally she is up and about. We saw our grandson yesterday. He gave me a hug and said l miss you. That made my day.

8. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Thank you, Brian, and wish your wife a happy birthday from Willie and myself. We're glad she is up and about again. She's probably tired of your culinary attempts by now lol. I do all the cooking here and I've had my share of faux pas (you cooked it up. You eat it ) moments. Willie's palette won't stand for any "hot" spices and I love M0exican food, so I have to season my plate individually. Now, she loves chili on her hot dogs, but I didn't have any home made and opened a can which turned out to be a little spicy hot, so she settled for mustard and chopped onions. I've made rolls before and loaves, but I never made hot dog buns and, though it turned out to be a challenge, I pulled it off pretty well, if I must say so, myself. Tomorrow the chili goes into the pot. It usually cooks for a good 6 to 8 hours. After it's done, she'll probably tell me where I could have found it in the freezer in the garage, behind the frozen grape juice, tucked in between the liver and the chicken breasts. Oh well.

Love is the answer

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

9. briansworms

Hmmm still no work. Might get a job tomorrow but have to wait to see if it goes ahead. I did a few hours last Saturday and nothing since. Been looking for another job and applying online which seems to be the way you have to do it these days.
    This week I have packed about 6 kilos of woodies. 4 of them will go Monday but I weighed them up and put them into big tubs so come Sunday afternoon I just have to pack them down into the shipping containers. I am running very low on saleable stock till I get a chance to pick up some more on the weekend
    Had a call from a chap who wants to stock my fishing worms in his stock feed and produce store so crossing my fingers that comes off. I also found another grower of Africans nearby but he doesn't post, pick up only. I could use him as a back up if they take off. Buy small ones off him cheap and grow them out. Hmmm full time could be an option in another 12 months. Having growers elsewhere saves me trying to find space and pay rental on it. That would be one of the factors stopping me. Just day by day and see how it all pans out. I have been enjoying not having to head out the door in the dark and get home in the dark. Just tinkering in the shed and sorting worms, yeah that's the life lol

Take care all

10. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Something amazing happened this morning.

I was up early, I walked out into the dense sterotypical pacific northwest fog of morning without realizing the sun had not come up yet. The air was dense with moisture and you could barely see more then 5'.

I walked over to the where the largest blueberry bush was collecting a couple strawberries on the way and made a handful of straw, blue, and blackberries. I was thankful for finding them in the fog when suddenly everything turned orange.

So orange it was like someone put a filter over my eyes, I was orange, the blueberries glowed orange, my whole world was orange like I had meditated and it colorized my eyes. After being thankful the skies suddenly opened up, the fog cleared, and it was suddenly hot outside, clear, no more fog. It had burned off in mere moments.

What an amazing morning.

11. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    magical moment!

12. briansworms

Sounds like a special moment that just belongs to you and nobody else. Take those moments when you can.

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Fri, no forest fires near by. Lightening Storm came in from the ocean in 10 mins... knocked out power.
    Sat. 10 forest fires 1 county away due to storm from previous night

I'm totally safe thanks to the mountain ranges between me and the fires, however I do have friends surrounded by the fires currently.

We are shifting to a true Mediterranean climate.

14. briansworms

Good to see you are well Pak. Hope your friends are safe. We used to lose power everytime a storm hit but after many years of preventative tree pruning around the power lines we don't get them very often anymore. See the first ever recorded winter Cyclone was recorded near New Caledonia yesterday I think it was. We finally got some sunshine today so I got in 4 hours work. That's a whopping 14 hours in 3 weeks. Back tomorrow but already with a delayed start.

I had a few kgs of woodies go out this week and all were 2 day delivery times. I prefer overnight but these were outside the network area. So many packed into a small space for such a long time. Not ideal. The parcel tracking wasn't changing to show for delivery today and I was a bit concerned till late this afternoon I got a couple of emails to say all had arrived and all were good. I can sleep tonight lol. With no work I am so thankful for the worms and woodies.

My pumpkin is growing very nicely and getting to a good size now. I lifted it off the ground with an upside down pot plant saucer. My friends have the same ones growing and they are starting to rot underneath due to rain I would suspect. The plant is growing so long I chopped it off at the end and cut out some other runners taking off. I want to just get it to grow my pumpkin and not waste energy on new growth. The other smaller ones don't seem to take off but just die. Hopefully I will be eating home grown pumpkin soon.

15. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    i surely would not like to live in an area with frequent wildfires, but on the other hand i know that they are a needed part of natural cycles.

glad you are ok Pak.

16. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Hey,Packo!! I see they legalized your recreational t'backy in Ore. Are going to have a patch? That should be a good money crop. On the other hand, there,s probably a lot of growers that'll come out of the closet, so to speak.
    We're down to six birds, but I've kinda lost the fever I had concerning them. I've been a little more tired than usual lately. Willie's getting a little more forgetful too. I spend too much time checking out the loss of our freedoms on the net. Sometimes we just spend too much time fretting over things we have little or no control over.. Being that this is supposed to be a "Sabbath year" for the garden, I've pretty much let it shift for itself. Plenty of carrots, onions, blueberries, grapes, Kiwis and the Yakon looks really good this year. A few tomatoes are ripening out there as well as a couple in buckets on the back porch. Willie just got out of the shower, so I'd better close and get ready to go to town. This is the first time she's felt like going anywhere in a couple of weeks.

Y'all come back now.
    Love is the answer.

Uncle Ben and
    Aunty Willie

17. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Brian, I'm glad your "hobby" has picked up. We're kinda hoping that one day we'd see your ad, "My worms really squirm" or "Don't settle for less.My worms satisfy". Well. Willie's ready. Gotta go.
    Love's still the answer.
    Auntie Willie and
    Uncle ben

18. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Looks like I am going crabbing this coming weekend for Dungeness Crabs, can't wait to compost them! Ben, we can't change the things our corporate sponsored government does often. When we as a society do, its usually with lots of pain and heart ache which is why I barely watch the news or even look at it. I won't even comment on what is going on due to the current political climate. So what's left to do? GARDEN!

My county is currently engaged in limiting the freedoms of growing marijuana, making edibles, growing hemp (which is a huge problem for medical / recreation growers) and so forth. For example, currently my planning board is thinking about relegating people who take marijuana that has been grown already and turning it into edible food like good ol brownies, cookies, and so forth and putting them into the industrial areas of towns. My town HAS NO INDUSTRIAL AREA! Nothing can be sold till 2016 as well, everyone is "giving it away" like they did on the 1st in Portland. In fact up in the Portland area there are 4 organizations that have given away medicine (not to recreation users) and seeds to people freely.

Note I said medicine. The law kinda screws the recreation user. They will never be legally able to purchase marijuana that has more then 20% THC, however the medical user like myself has access to better medicine, such as 21.83% thc & .54% CBD. The CBD (& CBB, CBA, and more) is a rather new chemical they found in marijuana. It's the chemical, while in combination with THC does a lot of medical repairs to the body such as that of US Patent 6630507 which states that medical marijuana should be used as preventive medicine to neurological diseases such as Parkinson's & Alzheimer's.

Back to the problem with Hemp vs outdoor marijuana for recreational / medicinal use is cross contamination like many farmers experience with Syngenta, Monsanto, and the other GMO Asshats. Pollen from a single male Hemp plant can render marijuana fairly useless. In fact, clouds of Marijuana pollen have been recorded by camera flying from Morocco and landing in Spain & Portugal. Medicinal / Rec growers are going to have to move inside and invest in air cleaning supplies in the future.

On the flip side...

PROHIBITION IS OVER IN OREGON!

:party::party::party::party:

19. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Yes, Packo. You are correct in that the political climate is distressing. But I'll refrain from disparaging the current political climate. Paul spoke more eloquently of today's climate to the Romans in 57-58 AD. You may wonder, as I have, how so few, or how such a small percentage of our population could sway so many so as to believe, as our president has said, it is about time we threw off what has been, for 6,000 years, a discriminating custom, speaking of marriage being a union between a man and a woman. No, Packo. I'm not delving into politics again, but customs. The one in particular, held in almost all civilized countries for thousands of years.

I was reading my Bible yesterday and came across Paul's words describing today's madness. I don't know what your beliefs are other than Permaculture, but if you want the answer to the "madness" overcoming the world today, just go to Romans 1:18 and read the whole chapter. He does not cover the murder of the millions of babies our government not only condones, but promotes. He does not even mention the burdens lain upon those who labor for a living to feed, clothe and house the lazy trouble-makers. He does, however explain the lack of logic displayed by the masses concerning homosexual encouragement, and why those claiming to be Christians are sadly mistaken when they support the actions taken therein. We are admonished not to "judge", as that requires censuring, but "by their fruit ye shall know them".

You cannot judge the Lion for eating the lamb, as it is his "Nature", nor the Bully for harassing the weak. But with as many "christian" organizations as there are, one would think this "fad" would have been nipped in the bud, as Barney would have said. We have evidence of a Creator all around us. Some, with the preponderance of UFO evidence pummeling us, believe we were put here by aliens, some still cling to the "theory of evolution" because of the similarity in bone structure and the many hoaxes promulgated by it's advocates. Another mystery has just jumped out at us with the discovery that even plants seem to have a sense of smell and unique mechanisms of defense, using animals in their vicinity to thwart their enemies. There is so much unexplained that well-known people proffer answers to and are accepted by others of less intellect. "The stork brought you, my dear" An exaggeration, of course, but, nonetheless, a good example. The great minds of the day believed that life (maggots) occurred spontaneously in meat until that theory was proven wrong.

Whatever your beliefs, I really believe you will find that chapter of interest, academically.

Love is the answer.
    Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

20. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Funny thing. I don't know if you'll find it funny, though. I awoke this morning at about 4:30 with a nagging thought going through my head. It wouldn't get out of my head so I got up, grabbed a couple sheets of paper from the 'puter tray in the dark, went into the kitchen, sat down at the table. About an hour-and-a-half later I had a page and a half of hand-written prose that all led up to, not even a full paragraph. After reading it I laid it back down and went back to bed. Of course I couldn't go back to sleep, so I made the coffee, let the birds out, went down for the paper and read some of the drivel about yesterday's parties, events, fireworks and some little item in the back about a clerk in the marriage license bureau resigning. basic usual stuff except for that teeny-weeny item. Funny, but what I had written earlier in a page-and-a-half got condensed into about one-and-a-half inches. I realized then that I must get kinda burdensome going on and on about crap that you guys already know, so this afternoon I just sat down and What did I do? Oh well, The short of it is quite simple without all the dressing: The human race has survived both Global Freezing, and Global Warming in the past. I just have my doubts about Global Insanity. And that's it in a nutshell