Hello from South Carolina

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Benjy136, Jun 5, 2012.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Well it's getting BLOODY HOT down here….

Got stuck in Brisvegas (it's so cool that even Obama called it that when he was here last week) in the flash flooding. The train line was cut as someone's roof ended up on the power lines over the tracks.

The weather is going crazy.

On the up side I got 10mm of rain. Not much but every bit counts.

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Depressed, and busy.. so incredibly busy all the time. However, Ben, I love you, but you are wrong. Here is the most graphic proof I can give you without taking you up there to see my Alaskan friends.

https://www.ted.com/talks/lewis_pugh_swims_the_north_pole

7 days ago this was published @ Science Daily

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/11/141114090009.htm

Source: University of Hawaii ‑ SOEST
    Summary: This summer has seen the highest global mean sea surface temperatures ever recorded. Temperatures even exceed those of the record-breaking 1998 El Nino year.

It is going to get worse. Prepare for it now, else we all may have problems later on.

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Well, I just re-read what I wrote and I realize it was rather aggressive.

Update:
    Physically I am well, sort of, I gained weight because of eating via convenience while taking care of mom, emotionally.. well, not talking about it.

Thank you Eco

Our coast has been pummeled a few times already, and today it will be again. From 1pm pst, till tomorrow, 60mph wind gusts, high seas, the usual winter storms for us. While the rest of the country freezes I am at a balmy 50's at night, and 60's during the day currently.

I didn't go crabbing for fear of radiation and the chemicals the town I go crabbing in sprayed last year. I didn't go tuna or salmon fishing for the same radiation reasons. People around here have bought anywhere from 40 to over 200 pounds of salmon for canning to keep this winter, I just keep thinking of Fukashima.

Marijuana got legalized last month and will be in effect July 1st of next year, however I still pay $400US for my prescription without any medicine, insurance does not cover it... ..yet.

GMO labeling has gone to recount as of today. I am hoping it passes.

I'm having problems finding Salix spp. for making living fences. I am also having problems finding things like Autumn Olive, Seaberry, Goumi, and other biodiversity that I can afford. However on the plus side I did get 2 new blueberries plants, and 2 new Rhododendron (early insect attracting, bird habitat).

I have been digging a swale by hand, and it isn't done. I am awaiting my rain gear and times when the rain stops. I am reminded of a quote by "Forrest Gump," to paraphrase, "One day in fall it started raining. Then, one day in summer it stopped." It's often like that. We have had storms were it rained for over 30 days. The swale was already seeded with crimson clover and fall rye. I have also transplanted some Salmonberry plants. Standard Mulberry trees arrive next month, one of which will be planted on the downhill side of the swale.

Still need a chook tractor.

Been working on too many things at once I think.

Well that's all for now. I'll try to be more active else I will face Eco's kindness! :)

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    Pak! !!!!! good to see your head above water. when i look at the national weather map it seems that your area is constantly getting rained on these days. sorry to hear about the depression as i know what that can be like, just keep on, doing what you can, being busy is probably much better than not being busy.

5. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Glad you came back Pak. Remember one step in front of the other. Just concentrate on the present as you can't change the past. Tomorrow will take care of it's self.

Uncle I don't read about climate change or worry about it. I think it is just another scam to get money out of the people. Over here they put a tax on carbon and we all pay extra for everything. Funny thing is all the big polluters didn't have to pay, just the poor man in the street. Then Tony dickhead our new Prime Minister abolished the carbon tax. Hmmm I don't think prices went down.

It is like the old cholesterol debate. Somebody who had lots of money to gain came up with the idea way back then. So the canola for margarine expanded and the dairy farmers go broke because butter is supposed to be bad for us. Same argument about the Y20K Bug. Someone made millions of $$$$ over a scam. Where is the cure for diabetes? Wait they make more money flogging us drugs so why find a cure?

I just stick to my own little world and let all those dickheads fighting in the Middle East beat themselves up. When the oil is all gone over there nobody will want to bother with them. Funny thing is they have the oil and all the money they could want and they still live in shitholes. Ok I better go pack worms.

6. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Pako, I,m so happy and relieved to hear from you again, though a little saddened, to balance emotions, that you are depressed. As Songbird has said, we know that is a bad place for anyone to be. You have a goal, and keeping that goal in sight will give you some comfort and help the days ahead have meaning. Someone of your fibre was made to overcome obstacles and not be overcome by them. I know you and I don't agree on a few major things, but our butting heads occasionally just helps to keep us awake and alive.

I watched the polar swim that was made back in 2009. That took guts, stamina and dedication. It is very doubtful that he could make that same swim at the same place today, though. A group of yachts that tried to make it through an area supposed to be clear of ice had to be rescued by ice-breaking ships. I will admit that global climate change is going on. It has been fluctuating since before records were being kept. The SUN has it's cycles of hot and hotter and that is the driving force behind ANY change in our climates. There are, at present. 117 computer models trying to predict any change, and guess what? They are self-contradicting because so much of the data fed into them is biased, throwing out data that does not conform to the expected result. Even the "average" results come out way in left field of what is actually happening. The only thing still fueling "Global Warming" is money. Wind power to cut back on fossil fuels? Thousands of acres with blades killing thousands of birds and, yes, even bats. The Audubon Society has been trying to fight against the indiscriminate slaughter of many species including the bald eagle and Golden eagle. Even accidental killing of these birds is AGAINST the law.
    There is currently a 5 year hold on that law restricted to windmills. Obama is being asked to sign a bill that will extend that hold to 30 years. Less than 3% of our total energy is being supplied by wind-power at a marked increase in cost per unreliable kilowatt hour. Our government has all but outlawed the use of incandescent light bulbs, being replaced by bulbs that are producing wavelengths of "blue" light proven to be harmful to the eyes, especially to children. There are ten times (approximately) more expensive and mostly, made in a country that teaches it's children to hate Americans, China.

I'm running out of time, but I'd like to ask a question to be answered logically . Why isn't all that carbon dioxide that's supposed to be trapping all that heat reflecting in both directions and causing a cooler planet?

7. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

I don't know whether it is globally cooling or heating, to be perfectly honest and, at this point, I'm just not that interested anymore, as all the conversation on here is doing is creating negative vibes. All I can say is, if it's heating up, stick in more insulation. If it's cooling down, stick in more insulation. Where I am, a little warming would be nice. This is the coldest Fall weather we've had at this time of year I can remember. We usually get these temperatures in late Dec and Jan. That being said, you can find just as many proponents on either side and then examine their agendas. Knowing our government's history of "unintended consequences", though, I look with skepticism at any solutions they offer, especially when it adds up to vast sums of taxpayer input such at fines imposed for not complying with their mandates.

Now that I've put that beast to rest, Have you any photos, Pako, of where you've been taking your latest project(s)?

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and my sister will be coming to stay with us for a week, starting this Monday eve. I've been working up a menu for the week to impress her with my culinary skills.

The Chooks have been weathering these freezing temps quite well. Their "house" has enough ventilation to keep their air breathable and yet the cold is blocked fairly well. The snow we got a few weeks back was the only really confusing time for them. They look so much alike it's hard to pick out which is which is which. "Missy" is almost always the last one to go in at night. It's almost completely dark before she marches up the ramp and settles in, creating a little stir from the rest of the flock. She's usually the first one out when I open their door in the morning, heading up to their feeding trough where I pour out their first meal of the day.

Well, Willie just got out of bed for her morning constitutional and I'm off to stir up some vitals. I'll be back!!

Love is the Answer.

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie.

8. Gonhar

Gonhar Junior Member

Hi Pak, glad to hear from you. Keep the faith and get stronger step by step. I have autumn olive growing on my property in the Shenandoah Valley. We made some good tart and sweet jam this October, yum! pm me and I can mail you some cuttings if you want some..

9. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Gonhar;
    I didn't know you could grow olives in this climate. I have avacodo trees in my garden but I'm afraid this last sudden cold wave might have done them in. I started them in the greenhouse from store-bought avacodoes, then brought them into the garden two years ago. I probably should have wrapped them with bubble wrap as I did the grape and kiwi vines. I'll have to look through the many seed catalogs nurseries send me. Is there a particular olive that does best in this climate? .....And Jam?? you say?

Love is the answer.

Uncle Ben

10. Gonhar

Gonhar Junior Member

Uncle Ben,
    Sorry to have confused you, I didn't mean the Mediterranean olive. I meant the Elaeagnus umbellata
    Plant. Known as Autumn olive or autumn berry. It has naturalized here in the east coast. It is a nitrogen fixer and the berries have many times more lycopene than tomatoes.

11. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

And is my face red? Yes! I just assumed you were speaking of the olives from the Mediterranean. I just googled Autumn olive, or Russian Olive, as it is also known as. According to what I've read, the tree (or shrub) is an invasive plant that fixes more N in the soil than most other plants like. Some birds love it and deposit the seeds all over the landscape (according to the article) While some birds can't get enough of that wonderful stuff, (Apple pandowdy, lol) apparently, others don't and the bird diversity suffers as the shrub invades a larger and larger area. It was imported from Asia in the 1800s for erosion control and as a windbreak and soon outstripped the native species where it was used. If one likes it, I'm sure a vigilant gardener could control it's spread, but I'd be afraid it might start being planted by the birds in areas outside of my jurisdiction.

Oh well. Back to the Chooks. They never seem to get flustered over my dumb errors. I had a dog like that when I was younger. His name was Phideaux.

Love is the answer.

Uncle Ben.

12. Gonhar

Gonhar Junior Member

Autumn Olive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Wha.....?

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

15. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Thank you Pako.
    We'll spend Thanksgiving right here in South Carolina. I know there were a lot of atrocities that took place and most of it was glossed over, but those things have happened in just about every nation on the planet. Different societies have seldom merged peacefully. Look at the shit that is taking place even today after all these years. I am not a racist by any stretch of the word, but it seems that leaders (Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, Eric Holder, Obama and others) have taken great pains to make sure the hatred cauldron is continually stirred. If the white population reacted like the African-American (a misnomer) communities have when whites are slain by African-Americans, half the cities in this country would have been burned down. I have no idea how this mess is going to end, but a conspiracy is not out of the question. The POTUS has been looking for an opportunity to put martial law in place and the more this pot is stirred, the more logical martial law appears. And the media is doing absolutely nothing to stem this. If they did not give these people an audience I believe the 15 minute fame seekers would eventually shut up and go home. I heard that Robin Hood (The hero of Sherwood Forest) robbed the rich also, but I believe Brown was going to smoke those cigars, himself. Not give them to the poor.

Shut up, Benjy. We've been having rainy days all this weekend and Willie's getting stir-crazy again.

Love is still the answer.

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

16. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Funny how racism works. Just as Uncle said we cant call a spade a spade if we are white but others can call it anything they like. Same with women, men say something and it is discrimination, Women say something we just have to suck it up. The whole world is unfair but we just have to make the best of our lot

Hey we got rain last night and today only 24 mm (close to 1") but we will take it. I only got in 4 hours today due to rain. Off away for the weekend. Eco I will wave as I go past lol. Time just seems to get away everyday lately. I seem to be busy constantly so looking forward to our holiday in NZ.

The woodies are going to explode in size and numbers by time we get back. Just hope I don't have any overcrowding issues as they will just have to wait till I get back. Loss of stock is a concern. Might have to get my son to not feed them every day so they slow down a bit. Wishful thinking.

I got a text from a lady at the school I used to be involved with. They are having problems with their stage lighting. I tried for several years to get someone else to learn it but nobody was interested. I used to spend many hours setting up the lights for different shows and rarely anybody offered to help. I loved doing it but working full time left me with little time and they always wanted rehearsals during the day when I had to work. I did one show for an Elvis impersonator. We practised for ages and our final finally the sound guy stuffed up and it just killed the moment we had planned. It was a good show all the same. Sadly the chap died of a brain tumour shortly after. I knew he wasn't well and really wanted the show to go off without a hitch. He did give me one of his CD's which I asked him to sign. Monday night I will go and have a look. I did around 25 years on the committee so will be funny walking back in there.

17. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Brian, I know the feeling. I took Willie on a tour of my old haunts after we left her Daughter's home in Tampa, Florida about 7--8 years ago for the holidays (Christmas) We went down on the Texas Coast to visit old friends and fellow performers, then through Louisiana and Tennessee, then to Hot Springs Arkansas where I had performed at the Arlington Hotel with Ray Price and Tom T. Hall. It was kind of eerie and just a little depressing and nostalgic at the same time. All in all, though, I'm glad we made the tour. We've, since then, lost a couple of my old friends and associates.

The Chooks are still enjoying the garden when I let them out in the mornings, though they get their other feed, plus the kitchen scraps. Willie loves cornbread (made another cast-iron skillet full this morning) and buttermilk, but the cornbread gets a little dry and hard if she doesn't dispatch it fast enough and the Chooks have a field day with it. We've been having below freezing weather just about every night for several nights here lately. The daytime temps have gotten up in the fifties and sixties (F) I'm ready for Summer. Where is all that warming Al and his chronies have promised? ('Nuff said).

My Sister Pauline is enjoying her visit with us. I made the Thanksgiving (That's an American holiday) dinner. Turkey with all the trimmings and got compliments from both her and Willie. She lives with one of my daughters, who lives in Arkansas. (pronounced Ark'an saw, and don't ask me why) They come up to spend the week with my ex, their mother, and drop off Pauline to spend the week with Willie and me.

Packo, I'm glad things are starting to work out for you. Of course I understand a lot of work on your part goes into the mix. The conveyance needs someone at the wheel that knows where you are heading and why.

Songbird, I hope yours was (or still is, at this time) a wonderful holliday season. I know your area is taking a Winter beating, but you folks up there are usually prepared for it and think us folks down here in the South are a bunch of wusses that can't drive in snow and keep falling on our arses on the ice. Oddly enough, you are right. But you can't really expect these folks that only see this stuff sporadically to be able to cope with it the way you do. They have no respect for it and even think it might be fun if they are teenagers. So sad for some.

ECO, Watch out your window. Brian's going to be passing by with drama on his mind and may do more than wave lol.

I have to go now, as Willie is getting into genealogy with Pauline.

Love is the answer,

Uncle Ben and
    Auntie Willie

18. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    thanks Benjy, it was a good time and then i'm happy to be home too. : )

i don't mind the cold/snow, but i no longer really drive in it like i used to. i've also lived in the south and have experienced their methods of driving when it is slippery. which made me want to stay home even more when it snowed there...

not too bad up here now, a bit of rain today/tonight/tomorrow and then we'll shift back to colder temperatures again. we didn't get that much of the snow that Buffalo got. we had rain instead a few days later.

take care folks.

19. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I have met both of these people when a cop shot my friend in the back while climbing a fence. This was someone I went to summer camp with.

You cannot truly understand the problem unless you are there when someone is arrested while being black. :n: =( =(

As for Thanksgiving, it was quiet luckily because it was almost a day of drama but they cancelled. 8)
    I awoke late today to the world being 34f and everything frosted & cold. I think instead of work I will stay inside, putter, and keep the house warm.

20. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Packo; All I know about Jackson, Sharpton and Holder is what I have heard them spout (in context) and it is racism at it's finest. I've had very few run-ins with officers of the law, but they all had aggressive attitudes. I'm European white and Native-American (I don't look Indian) and I know if I gave the boys in blue any gaff I'd regret it. You don"t insult the cops. You don't become defiant to them AND you don't run from them. You comply, even when and if you are in the right and you won't get the brunt of "excessive force". Of course there are exceptions where, possibly, the officer has been through some bad shit just before your episode. Resisting Arrest is a crime in itself and if you try to prove a point while being arrested, you'd best be sure you are not insulting the officer in the process. Of course there are bad cops out there who think the badge and uniform makes them Dirty Harry and want someone to "Make My Day". But there are citizens, and far more of them, that will rob, rape or kill, given the opportunity or excuse.
    My point is, my friend, that more often than not, a simple arrest is touted by members of the NAACP as Race-motivated. Why are there more Black-Americans incarcerated than whites? After being given more advantages than the whites citizens during my generation, their role models continue to try to stir them to a frenzy over something that other Black ancestors sold their ancestors into, and some of our ancestors fought and died to free them from, in a bloody war that tore this nation apart. In some areas we have still not healed from it. The whites who were sympathetic fought in white-controlled Congress against other whites (mostly Dems) for equality for Black-Americans. Then the whites, maybe out of guilt feelings, worked out quotas to help them get an advantage. Still the pot boils in organizations that make sure there is a fire under it to keep donations coming into their coffers. That money has two destinations. The POCKETS of the instigators and the task force that is sent to any protest, right or wrong, to get media attention and distort the facts to fit their agenda. Those are the monsters who get the ones who believe in them to fight in the front lines , making it more and more difficult for "Whitey" cops to protect public and private property.

What, if anything, have those store owners done do deserve their life's work being smashed, looted and burned to the ground.? There are several cases of Black-Americans mugging, raping and killing Whiteys. One white Australian track star was murdered right here by several Black-Americans Does the community go an an an uncontrolled frenzy of destruction and pillage because of it? A local White boy was beaten within an inch of his life not long ago on his way home by Black-Americans. Where was the outrage then? A "gentle giant" the same size as Brown murdered a young college girl. Where was the outrage? Closer to home, it was a Black-American who scammed me on this fence we had built after overpaying him and having to go back over his work and spend another several hundred dollars. He was such a nice, amiable guy. His favorite line was "Don't worry about anything. Pray about everything". I'm sure if I did a tree job in a Black-American neighborhood and screwed it up there would be severe repercussions.

I keep hearing the phrase "It isn't fair!" Parents need to teach their children that Life Isn't Fair. You can work your arse off and, in an instant, lose everything, or you can be a mean ol' good-for-nothing and pick up a $1,000.00 bill lying in the street on your way home from foreclosing on a poor bedridden widow. On the other hand, you have a better chance of working hard and getting ahead here in America, regardless of color or religious beliefs than anywhere else in the world. (Australia excepted?) Although, because of Obummer's recent policies, it has been getting more and more difficult lately.
    And getting back to the other subject, In each of the last three "Racist" episodes he has shot off his racist mouth before knowing the facts, adding to the flames. This was the President that was going to bring us all together (cum-bi-ya).

That is my take on the whole shebang. If you go around with a chip on your shoulder in a crowd, Someone will knock it off.

Love is still the answer.

Uncle Ben.