Paging Jeff Nugent - Prunus salicifolia or words to that ..

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by TriciaM, Dec 1, 2003.

1. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

Hi Jeff.
    The green sap of spring is flowing at last into arid frost-ridden Lithgow NSW - so my fancy is turning to planting a couple of capulin cherry trees at the bottom of my garden.

I was wondering, therefore, how you are faring seedwise.
    If you have some seeds available I'd like to plant asap.

Why?
    Because I've learned a lot about planting in this environment after surviving my first winter here.
    Unfortunately, everything - including'broadbeans, brussel sprouts and cabbages - Karked it.

I can't even plant out tomatoes until the week after Melbourne cup. Last frost wiped them out!

If your email address and PO box are still the same as the those on your Feb 21. 2003 post to this forum, I can forward
    a cheque.

Regards
    TriciaM

2. Jeff Nugent

Jeff Nugent Junior Member

Hi tricia, fresh seed is about two months away.
    All contact info is the same.
    Cheers, Jeff

3. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

That could be a problemo. Will the seeds have time to grow strong roots before frigid winter sets in?
    The meter high lemon mellor tree I purchased from the local nursery last March looked dead by the end of winter despite the good advice I received from members of this forum on how to protect it.
    Only during the last 10 days have shoots [approx 2mm's long] begun to appear around the base. Do I get rid of them or leave them be?
    No matter what, though, I'll try the Capulins.
    I made enquiries around the area and regular cherries are grown successfully in the Bathurst area.
    Regards
    TriciaM

4. Jeff Nugent

Jeff Nugent Junior Member

Not sure Tricia I think I would treat them as indoor plants in pots until late spring. They should do ok in a sunny window. Bring them into full sun gradually and thren once theyre ready whack them in well-drained situation with plenty of manure and water to get them raging before autumn.
    Even try keeping a few in larger pots for the following year. No try - no learn.
    Cheers, Jeff

5. TriciaM

TriciaM Junior Member

Thanks for the Capulin advice Jeff. You can be sure I'll follow it to the letter [plus some avant-garde new thought ideas of my own]. Amazing growth in this neck of the woods during the last 9 weeks. But now, alas everything is beginning to slow down. Glad to say though that my lemon meyer has made it after all.

I've learned so much in the year of living dangerously here.

Will email you at your business address first week of Feb to check if the Capulin seeds are ready to post.
    Then same deal - a cheque in the mail?

Tricia